PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Mando

Scotti Adams
Feb-23-2005, 6:26pm
Theres been a buzz about these lately..thought I would share a couple of pics

Scotti Adams
Feb-23-2005, 6:28pm
Another...I was fortunate to meet Mr. Stanley a couple of years ago...hes a real nice guy and builds a nice mando as you can see.........French Polished too

neal
Feb-23-2005, 6:56pm
Charles Johnson just got one. #One for sale at his site.

Gibsonman
Feb-23-2005, 7:37pm
Looks real nice Scottie. Did you take these pictures? By the way how are you felling?

Crowder
Feb-23-2005, 7:43pm
The one on Charles' site looks good too. But there seems to be something strange going on with the string spacing at the nut. Somebody check it out and tell me if I'm crazy

Scotti Adams
Feb-23-2005, 7:54pm
..No John..I didnt take these pics...a friend of mine did...the spacing at the nut looks even to me although it may be a little close for me....Im used to a wider string spacing.

wallflower
Feb-23-2005, 10:14pm
Whoever buys that mandolin is going to get a killer. #Chris builds a great mandolin!

No financial interest, I'm just a big fan of Chris' work.

Charles Johnson
Feb-24-2005, 12:34am
I'll tell you how much I like Chris's mandolins - I bought one as a personal mandolin for me. I see a lot of different mandolins, I personally own a Loar and several other vintage Gibsons as well as a Randy Wood F5 and a killer Schofield F5 I've had for a while - and this one from Chris got cash money out of my pocket.

Chris sent me two mandolins - both are powerhouse mandolins, varnish finish, and just excellent bluegrass chop and tone. The one I kept was a little earlier, maybe not quite as clean on the binding scraping and has a slightly different headstock inlay, but otherwise the mandolins are very close, especially in tone and playability. The string spacing is pretty much even across the nut, not as radical as a Sam Bush but still I had the nut reslotted to my liking - thats easy to change. Part of what you are seeing in my pics is some shadows of the strings on the fretboard.

What I liked about them is the tone - its balanced across the strings with good mids, not just bassy and treble. It does have the bass and treble response as well, however.

These are some of the best mandolins I have had in a while, and I believe Chris is heading to the "expensive luthier with a long waiting period" list in short order.

Best regards,
Charles Johnson
Mandolin World Headquarters
www.vintagemandolin.com

csstanley
Feb-24-2005, 7:41am
Does Chris have a website?

Being that I'm a Stanley and my name is Chris, I'd like to check more of his stuff out. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Lee
Feb-24-2005, 9:03am
Hey Chris, maybe down the road someday you can authorize the Chris Stanley Chris Stanley signature model!

Feb-24-2005, 5:56pm
Very nice. What is the price on this one?

csstanley
Feb-24-2005, 6:35pm
I really would like to see more of his work. How can I get in contact with him?

PGA, the one on vintage mando was for around 4500 if memory serves correctly.

Charles Johnson
Feb-24-2005, 10:16pm
Just had someone put it on hold.

Best regards,
Charles Johnson
Owner
Mandolin World Headquarters
www.vintagemandolin.com

fatt-dad
Mar-07-2005, 1:07pm
Whoever buys that mandolin is going to get a killer.
Eh, that would be fatt-dad! I really enjoyed talking to Mr. Stanley and just can't wait to get an F-5 mandolin.

I'll get my camera out when it arrives - probably in a week.

fatt-dad

jmpullen
Mar-07-2005, 5:44pm
And he's only just begun... I had the good fortune to get to see and pick # 7 when Chris dropped by for a quick visit on
his way back home from Florida. I say this with no hesitation, that # 7 is unbelievable. It is a kick a-- mando sound wise,
and it felt superb to pick. One of those that you truly
don't want to put down. And his finishes are superb. First
class frenching on all of his that I've seen, and I think
I've seen them all. He'll be starting mine soon, wait'll
you see it, that's all I can say for now. Jim.

fatt-dad
Mar-07-2005, 8:44pm
Yeah, it's quite a trip to go for a mandolin that I haven't played. But there is quite a vote of confidence from the word of mouth. Just loved my discussions with Mr. Stanley and feel real good about my purchase, even though I've yet to see/play it - how wierd is that? I have the trial period, but from what I gather won't need it.

Love to hear your review, Jim.

Can't wait to post first hand. . . .

fatt-dad

El Rey del Mando
Mar-07-2005, 9:36pm
Charles,How old is your Schofield ? Does it say Schofield or is it one of his Gibson coppies ? My brother has one from 74,when he made them from old furnature.I would like to hear from you if possable.

John

pickinNgrinnin
Mar-07-2005, 10:36pm
Nice move FD! A change of pace from your A style preference http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I seem to recall the builder selling some other Mandos here but I didn't know he made his own. I've not heard anything about these but from the pics he had linked to his for sale ad, they sure looked nice.

Look forward to a review!

fatt-dad
Mar-07-2005, 11:18pm
Nice move FD! A change of pace from your A style preference #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
Yeah, I had just sold my only F5 mandolin (PM 780 Aria Pro II), which I had had for the last 20 years (interesting side note, I bought my Aria Pro II from a guy that just purchased a Schofield) and figured that I needed another F5-style mandolin. Schofield's waiting list (I'm on it) is somewhere in the range of 1 to 4 years and he's not sure how much he will charge. So, that's not quite a sure thing, but he's still making them.

That's about the rest of that story . . . This Stanley may just complete my collection.

fatt-dad

billy parker
Mar-21-2005, 5:30pm
I just got my Schofield A model a few days ago and it honks. I have known John a long time and played his #20 F-5(built in 77 and says Schofield on it) since the 80's.
He is a fine artist and makes excellent instruments.

Hint: If you want to shorten your wait time, you might consider telling him you'll take it white (unfinished)then find someone else to lacquer and stain it for you.

Billy Parker

Scotti Adams
Mar-30-2005, 1:52pm
..I know where a good deal on a Stanley F5 is to be had...PM if any one is interested..

G_Smolt
Mar-30-2005, 5:03pm
...Mav the mando-ho sellin' one, Scotti? # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

mandopete
Mar-31-2005, 9:58am
...Mav the mando-ho sellin' one, Scotti? # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif
...no, it must be Reverend Ted!