PDA

View Full Version : J62 Diaddrio Strings New - size of Ring diameter in the package

Jungleman
Dec-06-2013, 7:35pm
Hi fellows:
Newbie here. Perhaps dumb question.
Does size of the Ring Winding Diameter inside the Package, affect shelf life of the strings.

Just got three pack order. Each package felt really puffed up. I thought he sent me wrong strings. I opened the package the strings were right. However, the Ring Winding Diameter, was barely 2 inches.
Should I open it up and wind it the package size diameter the package on these is
5 in x 5 in. So I can make a ring of at least 4.5 inch diameter.

On previous order, from another supplier. When I opened the package it was so thin. I thought we got troubles he did not put 2 strings in each pack. On opening the package I found, everything in order. Surpirse, the Ring Diameter was as large as the package that is 5 inch. You could only tell there is strings in each package by feeling around the edges of the package.

Your comments to this dumb question are apperciated.

Jungleman

Folkmusician.com
Dec-06-2013, 7:59pm
I have never personally seen a set of factory packaged D'Addario's that didn't have the coil fill the package pretty well. Are your strings in the standard packaging?

bratsche
Dec-06-2013, 8:40pm
Almost sounds as though somebody removed them from the package to check out or measure, or something, and then put them back in after winding them rather clumsily. Are these usually factory sealed packages, or are they only held shut with tape? In which condition did they arrive? I have no idea how or if this would affect their performance or shelf life.

bratsche

allenhopkins
Dec-06-2013, 9:12pm
Most string packages aren't sealed; the flap of the outer plastic envelope is just folded over. I think the "strings taken out for inspection, then repackaged" hypothesis seems most likely.

Does anyone remember Nashville Straights, the guitar strings that came in full length packaging, because the hype was that coiling strings inside envelopes somehow "distorted the windings" on wound strings? I think the brand only lasted a short time because music store owners couldn't be bothered with a bunch of two-foot-long packages, and the "advantage" of uncoiled strings was a figment of some marketing guy's imagination.

Coiling strings more loosely or tighter -- up to the point that a real kink is put in the string, creating a weak spot -- would seem to have negligible effect on their durability.

Ray(T)
Dec-07-2013, 4:55am
Does anyone remember Nashville Straights, the guitar strings that came in full length packaging, because the hype was that coiling strings inside envelopes somehow "distorted the windings" on wound strings? I think the brand only lasted a short time because music store owners couldn't be bothered with a bunch of two-foot-long packages, and the "advantage" of uncoiled strings was a figment of some marketing guy's imagination.

Just beat me to it Allen. I used the "Nashville Straights" for several years - must have been either side of 1980 - not because I thought straight packaged strings were any better but because they sounded great on my guitar.

As to the original post, there is also the possibility that the strings could be fake. A few fakes have been reported and there is a option on the d'addario website where you can check this. If the packaging really does say "Diaddrio" this might explain things.

Petrus
Dec-07-2013, 5:20am

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-07-2013, 5:50am
I agree Robert. I've used D'Addario mandolin strings for the last 9 years & all the packs have been coiled to fit the packet size. I think somebody took the OP's stings out of the pack for a reason & the re-coiled them smaller & put them back. In fact,the other 2 brands of strings i've tried,Black Diamond & DR mediums, were also coiled to fit the packets'
Here's the link to the D'Addario 'Play Real' site - http://www.daddario.com/PlayReal.Page?ActiveID=3825&sid=e8a5748f-7ff8-496e-8768-f5106fd0219b
Ivan

Jungleman
Dec-07-2013, 11:18am
Hi Fellows:
Thank you all. Your comments does confirm that someone has opened the packages and rewound clumsliy.
All of the times, I got J62 coils always filled the whole package that is 5in x 5 in and thus the coil dia = 5 in.
Strings probably will take 6 months or so to be consumed. Good time to sit in the clumsily wound coils.
So I just took all the strings out and repacked, the Coils to fill the package. Just to feel a little better.

Meantime, thank you all. I apperciate your time and comments.

Jungleman.

Timbofood
Dec-07-2013, 1:07pm
Nashville straights! Good lord, I think I might have an old box from a set of those around here somewhere. What a snare and delusion, that was one of those " theory makes sense" things, practice was something else entirely. I think the shop I worked in bought in and then had one hell of a time selling that to end users. I believe they ended up in the repair shop for replacements on stock.

TheMandoKit
Dec-08-2013, 10:31am

Violin strings, particularly gut strings, come packaged straight (at least some do), under the same theory. I remember my teacher, years ago, telling me that it was worth the extra cost to get strings shipped straight. Kept spare strings in a sealed tube in the violin case. I don't know if it really made a difference or not, but I don't play gut strings any more, either. :grin: