PDA

View Full Version : Identifying a sunken top on an old Gibson

mdavis00
Dec-06-2013, 3:40pm
A 1916 F2 was recently passed on to me, and I've been trying to assess the instrument's needs. Unfortunately, the previous owner doesn't know much about how the F2's condition has altered over the past couple decades (he mostly kept it in storage). Despite sitting in its case for years, it came out nearly in tune and played beautifully on old strings - it made the beat-up Martin I've been playing sound and feel like a dog by comparison.

Sadly, when I investigated inside, I found that the top brace had come loose about 3/4 of an inch on the bass side:

I took it to the local shop yesterday, whose staff luthier is young but has been recommended here before. He was willing to re-glue the brace with hide glue, but commented that the mandolin would probably just pop it loose again. He thought that the arch had sunk a little. After pressing gently on the top with his thumbs (while I cringed), he commented that it felt "spongy," which is a terrifying word. I have some doubts about his judgement, but this is probably denial. The Handel tuners were new to him, so I don't know how many teens-era Gibsons he's seen.

I've been combing the internet for information (like this (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?88635-Gibson-top-sinkage)) and photos to try and determine what a healthy arch looks like and where, and how badly, mine is flattened. Here's a comparison photo of two supposedly-healthy Gibsons (stock of vintagemandolin.com on the right) and my own (two photos on the left):

What do you think? Obviously smooshed arch? Is there an easy way to tell? If the instrument plays nicely, then does this heavily impact its value?

And a parting question on a very different problem. Here is a photo of where the neck meets the heel button -- you can just make out sunlight between them:

That space is too small to slip a sheet of paper into. On one side of the neck joint only, there is a (literally) hairline crack in the finish. Local repair-guy tugged on the neck some (more cringing from me) and seemed satisfied. Failing neck joint? Or just 98-year-old mandolin?

Should I be de-tuning or removing the strings on this old lady until I get that brace glued down (taking into consideration that, as far as I know, it has been stored with full tension for the better part of its life)?

As always, thank you all for your wisdom and experience.

sunburst
Dec-06-2013, 3:54pm
It looks fine in the pictures and it probably is fine. Have the brace re-glued and assume it will be fine (if it is cleaned well before gluing the brace should stay glued), but if it has other problems after that, address them then.
A little hide glue can be worked into the little gap at the neck heel and may help preserve the integrity of the joint for the future, but it looks like it is solid for now.

SanzoneGuitar&Mandolin
Dec-06-2013, 4:05pm
If it's playing well and was almost in tune after sitting, that speaks volumes. Super clean too, even the pickguard mount looks good. Congrats!

j. condino
Dec-06-2013, 11:44pm
Beautiful old F2; the Handel tuners are a nice bonus. Check you inbox, you have a private message.

j.
www.condino.com

Tavy
Dec-07-2013, 4:19am
+1 on what John said. "Top feels spongy" is pretty much a test for a loose brace.

pfox14
Dec-07-2013, 9:22am
If a loose brace is all that's wrong with this mandolin, then I'd say you're in really good shape. Re-gluing the brace should fix the "spongy" top, but I do agree that taking off the strings while this process is done is a good idea. I would leave them off until the hide glue is fully hardened, and the top feels right. Then give it a good cleaning and put some new strings on it.

mdavis00
Dec-08-2013, 3:58pm
Thank you all for your responses! I've been like an over-protective, hypochondriac parent, so it's certainly nice to get some reassuring comments.

James Condino was gracious enough to invite me into his shop this weekend to have a look at the mandolin. It was the first time I've ever been in a luthier's workspace--a craft/musical wonderland! He gave the Gibson a thorough look and thought it will be in fine shape once the brace has been secured. My worries over a sinking top and the expensive and invasive repair needed to correct it were allayed. He also was able to evaluate the F2's companion -- a c1918 L4 guitar. It's nice to know that there's someone with experience and a shop close-by when these old instruments get into trouble.

The only problem is that now I want to get my hands on some more nice handmade mandolins ;)

David Houchens
Dec-08-2013, 5:12pm
I'm sure James can help you with some very nice handmade mandolins as well.