PDA

View Full Version : String options for Mandola and Octave Mandolin

Jeff Budz
Dec-05-2013, 7:09am
I have a Webber mandola and a Flatiron octave mandolin (23" scale) and have been using D'Addario J72 and J80 strings respectively, but am wondering if there are other options to try. You see, on my mandolins I like those coated strings since my body chemistry seems to deaden the plain strings quickly. I was interested in trying some stainless strings, or those Thomastics I hear about. But I'm not sure what sets are right, I get confused about instrument names like "Octave Mandola." The scale length of the Flatiron is pretty long, would hate to get a set that didn't work.

I would love some recommendations on some sets to try, thanks!

Traveling Tracks
Dec-06-2013, 8:08am
Hey Jeff,
Brad from Hartt here…….I use the Thomastik Infelds on my Weber mandolin and I absolutely love them.
They are expensive but they last a long time and more importantly they give you a completely different sound and feel too.
Try Just Strings (they advertise on here) and they have basically all types of strings and I'm sure they can help you get the correct set.

bratsche
Dec-06-2013, 12:04pm
The Thomastik "alto mandolin" (164 set, meant for CGDA mandola tuning) and "mandola" strings (174, meant for octave GDAE tuning) are notoriously short, so you must measure your instrument carefully, or the silk windings may interfere. I love the 164s so much on my mandolas that I had to change out a tailpiece for one with the prongs higher up in order to accommodate them.

bratsche