PDA

View Full Version : Truss rod?

violinvic
Dec-03-2013, 8:42am
I am getting materials ready for my first attempt at a mandolin. I have been shopping for a truss rod and would appreciate your input as to which rod you experienced builders are using and where they can be purchased. Thanx, Vic.

buckhorn
Dec-03-2013, 8:57am
I make my own as per Siminoff's book...have used carbon fiber also but most like to be able to adjust....

pfox14
Dec-03-2013, 4:45pm
StewMac has regular compression type truss rods for mandolins - http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Adjustable_truss_rods/Mandolin_Truss_Rod.html

sunburst
Dec-03-2013, 7:30pm
I use a simple tension rod that works like the one linked above, but I make my own (with help from a machinist) so that I can have lighter rods.

Rick Lindstrom
Dec-04-2013, 5:47pm
Doubting my ability to make a neck that would not be back-bowed, I went for a double acting truss rod, which I bought from Cumberland Acoustic. The neck came out pretty flat, and all was well, but the DA-TR was a nice insurance policy.

Hendrik Ahrend
Dec-05-2013, 11:57am
Is anybody out there using the Loar F5 concept, that is "back-bow" truss rod? I found it works well on my old F5, as opposed to the one in my 2009 Gibson Fern, which creates a 12th fret hump when tightened.

craigw
Dec-05-2013, 3:45pm
I also use the double action rods from Cumberland acoustics and just had them custom make a shorter one for an F-4 neck. I've also gotten them from LMI (model TRM) and they work about the same.

craigw
Dec-06-2013, 12:13pm
Correction on the LMI model number for mandolin: TRMT