PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Gaudreau & Orrin Starr

levin4now
Feb-23-2005, 10:39am
Imagine my surprise when I was leaving our local grocery store, in the town of Plymouth where I work, a town not at all known for any sort of bluegrass intereset, and there on the bulletin board was a poster for a Jimmy Gaudreau & Orrin Starr concert. #Turns out they will be playing at Martin Community College in Williamston next month. #Tickets are 10 bucks. You reckon that's a little steep? Just kidding. #There is a guy who teaches guitar/mandolin at the comm. college. #Maybe he's behind getting this duo out here....

PS I know nothing about Gaudreau (or Starr for that matter) except that he might play a Rigel. Anything else I should know/hear?

250sc
Feb-23-2005, 12:09pm
If I were in the area I wouldn't miss it. Goudreau used to play with Tony Rice amoung others.

AlanN
Feb-23-2005, 12:56pm
Jimmy Gaudreau has been a force of mandolin for decades. He is on the cover of the current issue of Mandolin Magazine. His style is, as he puts it, well-situated in the cracks of all the great players that have come before him. Once you hear Jimmy pick, you know who it is. He's a fave http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

wah
Feb-23-2005, 2:26pm
I saw Gaudreau & Starr at the Palms Playhouse and I'd go see them again. They're both masters on their instruments with distinctive styles - and they sing pretty well too.

Wayne

batman
Feb-23-2005, 2:32pm
Hey Alan, yeah, Frakie Harrison got it together. Bummer i'll be in Nashville that week end. Don't forget I got Compton and Grier comming to New Bern in Apr. Lets pick again sometime. Don

AlanN
Feb-23-2005, 3:50pm
Don, are you the guy who's been at Scottens?

AlanN
Feb-23-2005, 4:20pm
Spectrum was a great band - Jimmy, Bela, Glenn Lawson, Schatzie, then a fiddle man later. They did interesting stuff and were all phenominal pickers.

diamond ace
Feb-23-2005, 4:53pm
I think Jimmy is highly underestimated and neve really got the credit he diserves. He is one of the best mandolin players around.

batman
Feb-24-2005, 11:44am
Alan. I don't think that i have. Maybe ran into you at Bass MT? I play with Clyde Mattocks if that rings a bell. Don

AlanN
Feb-24-2005, 11:56am
Don't believe I've had the pleasure at Bass Mtn, let's do it this time. Btw, jammed some with Mike Aldridge of the old Bass Mtn. Boys - good picker.

batman
Feb-25-2005, 11:40am
Hey Alan, I saw mike this past weekend. yes a great picker and super nice fella. got a couple of boys that aint to shabby either. alson got a chance to talk to Dempsey Young, who was there also. he aint too bad either. his mando was the hutto destressed mdl. Don

AlanN
Feb-25-2005, 11:47am
Yes, I wish Mike all the best after his recent surgery. And now you are talking my man, Dempsey. He gets tone like no other. All mandolin pickers should check him out.

How was Kinston? Was Bobby Osborne there? Sorry for hijacking the Gaudreau thread, he is great, too

Tim
Feb-25-2005, 12:37pm
Jimmy Gaudreau will be doing a few shows this spring as part of "Reflections Ridge". #Other members of the group are three orginal Seldom Scene (John Starling, Mike Auldridge and Tom Gray) plus Rickie Simpkins. #The will be at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA on March 31.

levin4now
Mar-06-2005, 9:49pm
Well, what a treat! I got to the Gaudreau/Starr show 30 minutes early and there was Frank(ie) Harrison and Alan playing various songs together - an opening act if you will. Frank's young son joined them on a fiddle too - it was great.

But the real treat of course was Gaudreau and Starr. Gaudreau was playing his new Rigel CT-110(?). He also had a unique two point mandola. Upon closer inspection, after the show, I saw that it was also a Rigel! There was just a big white star on the headstock. Jimmy said it was a custom Vega cylinder back copy. Very nice. Orrin's Martin guitar was awesome too (not to mention his picking!). They played a variety of songs. Did anyone else here go?

Alan