PDA

View Full Version : new Gibson build quality?

CeeCee_C
Nov-28-2013, 9:39pm
Anyone have firsthand experience with new Gibson build quality (pro or con)?

It's a great old name and the idea of there being badly built Gibson mandolins distresses me greatly.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

PlayerOf8
Nov-28-2013, 10:48pm
I played a brand new one the other day. Worth every penny of it.

F-2 Dave
Nov-28-2013, 11:25pm
The new Gibsons i've played the last couple of years have all been outstanding. Some more suited to my taste than others, but all really good.

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-29-2013, 4:26am
From what i've read on here,Dave Harvey is closely involved with Gibson's mandolin building work & considering his pedigree in the mandolin world,i doubt if a bad instrument would pass muster. If i owned one of the new Gibson 'Goldrush' mandolins,i'd be a very happy chappy !,
Ivan

tburcham
Nov-29-2013, 9:20am
CeeCee, let me say that I am biased, but I do have a little perspective on Gibson build quality, pre and post flood. You will find my exhaustive review of my F9 custom here on the Cafe. I believe the David Harvey built Gibsons are outstanding in every way. I owned an F5g pre flood...I traded it for a Weber Yellowstone and didn't blink an eye. That Gibson sounded Ok, but I always had trouble keeping it in tune...these are items I'm sure a good setup would have alleviated, but in those days I was seeking the Grail. Today, I own a 2012 Gibson F9 Custom (purchased from The Mandolin Store), it looks just like an F5g, but has an abbreviated fingerboard. This is an absolute "Killer" mandolin! The fit and finish are very near my Collings MT2v, just beautiful craftsmanship. Very thin nitro finish beautifully applied. This mandolin plays great and sounds spectacular. I believe today's Harvey built Gibsons are as good as the company has ever built (and yes I have played actual Lloyd Loar F5s). Everyone talks about seeking the signature Gibson sound, today you can have that from the company that invented it!

tburcham
Nov-29-2013, 9:27am
CeeCee,

Here's that thread

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?89668-2012-Gibson-F-9-Custom-Review

cayuga red
Nov-29-2013, 9:33am
The post-flood Master Models and Ferns are beautifully constructed, great sounding mandolins.

Hendrik Ahrend
Nov-29-2013, 11:19am
I own a shortly-before-the-flood Dec. 2009 varnished Fern, signed by David Harvey. (Not sure, if the crew changed after the flood.) Before the mandolin was completed, David Harvey was very generous at answering questions and discussing some little custom work, such as gold or silver plated hard ware among other things. He even picked out a particular bright sounding mandolin, as I requested. So IMO great and friendly service at Gibson and an outstanding mandolin.

almeriastrings
Nov-29-2013, 11:44am
Another vote for the superb quality, great sounding instruments being produced under Dave Harvey. I have one of the very first post-flood Ferns, and it is a superb sounding mandolin. 100% classic Gibson. I really cannot fault it.

JAK
Nov-29-2013, 4:09pm
Is the new Gibson build quality as good or better than the Lloyd Loar era?

Spruce
Nov-29-2013, 5:30pm
Everyone talks about seeking the signature Gibson sound, today you can have that from the company that invented it!

Actually, Gibson today is the company that bought the company that bought the company that invented it...
If we were talking CF Martin, you'd have a point... ;)

Is the new Gibson build quality as good or better than the Lloyd Loar era?

Better...
Some Loar shots: ;)

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee22/e_stamp/post-15-35457-Mvc_534f_zpsf7398f50.jpg (http://s231.photobucket.com/user/e_stamp/media/post-15-35457-Mvc_534f_zpsf7398f50.jpg.html)

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee22/e_stamp/peghead_logo_macro_2_zps261b783d.jpg (http://s231.photobucket.com/user/e_stamp/media/peghead_logo_macro_2_zps261b783d.jpg.html)

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee22/e_stamp/post-15-35521-Mvc_532f_zpscd081161.jpg (http://s231.photobucket.com/user/e_stamp/media/post-15-35521-Mvc_532f_zpscd081161.jpg.html)

Hendrik Ahrend
Nov-29-2013, 5:38pm
Spruce, got any shots of recent Gibson body scrolls? Most of them - not all, though - have a funny eagle beak shaped binding mitre.

almeriastrings
Nov-29-2013, 7:17pm
The work is very clean. They use a lot of CNC and there are methods now involving laser cut pearl that produce consistent, clean results:

The current ones also differ in quite a number of ways from the Derrington-era models. Very striking on the headstock overlay and bindings:

it is not identical to a 20's era mandolin, either. There are quite a few differences. On a simple quality level, though, it is certainly pretty good. I would say not quite as clean as you may see on a Collings... and for the ultimate in clean, tidy and precise work, hard to better this:

Ellis F-5 Special

sunburst
Nov-29-2013, 7:49pm
No opinion here about new Gibson build quality, just a general observation that I don't necessarily equate binding miters and inlay with build quality.

lonestar_shawn
Nov-29-2013, 10:31pm
I played a brand new post-flood Gibson F5-G the other day and it was excellent in every way (and a great price). It was at the Guitar Center in Round Rock, Texas if anyone is interested.

almeriastrings
Nov-30-2013, 2:36am
No opinion here about new Gibson build quality, just a general observation that I don't necessarily equate binding miters and inlay with build quality.

I was not inferring that it reflects the complete picture, but you can certainly compare like for like, binding and inlay work with binding and inlay work.

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-30-2013, 3:44am
From John Hamlett - " I don't necessarily equate binding miters and inlay with build quality.". IMHO you should John,as your work is amongst the very finest i've seen on here,right up there with Almeria's vote - Tom Ellis. We all understand that precise,almost clinical binding & inlay work doesn't equate to a 'perfect' sounding instrument,but very often first impressions count. Anybody seeing a sloppily bound & / or inlaid instrument might pass it by in favour of an instrument that looks better. I have to saythat one experience of mine back in Owensboro in '92 put the lie to that point. At one stall selling used instruments,there was a pre-war Gibson TB6 to 5-string conversion for sale. It looked like a war victim !. It was grubby,tarnished,the skin was dirty & it looked as though Moses had fitted the strings,they were that rusty. Feeling sorry for it,i picked it up & played it & my jaw hit the floor - the whole thing rang like a bell. It was without a doubt the finest banjo i've ever played in 50 years. I could have bought it but didn't & i've regretted it ever since. I've never let 'appearance' get in the way of my judgement since,
Ivan;)

Bernie Daniel
Nov-30-2013, 9:02am

It's a great old name and the idea of there being badly built Gibson mandolins distresses me greatly.

Actually a number of people, many members of the MC, do havefirst hand hand experience with new Gibson mandolins because they have purchased them. To a person the reports I have seen and heard are that the new Gibson mandolins are about the best the company has every produced. So I hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving because worrying about Gibson mandolins would not have been necessary or productive! :)

sunburst
Nov-30-2013, 9:13am
Anybody seeing a sloppily bound & / or inlaid instrument might pass it by in favour of an instrument that looks better.

Ivan, sloppy is one thing, imperfect is another.
Bindings and inlays are simply decorations applied to a completed instrument, and while a sloppy job might reflect on the overall care taken by the builder throughout the building process, it might not as well. Mostly, I think a good workmen-like job on the decorations is good enough, if it is the choice the builder has made. A good builder may decide that is all the effort he/she want's to put toward the decorations, or it may be the best of his/her ability in terms of decoration. I just think it is a mistake to assume the "big boy's" CNC-cut pearl, inlay cavities and binding slots and expertly finished surfaces necessarily equate to a better overall quality compared to the evidence of imperfect hand work on a high quality, more traditionally hand built instrument form an individual or smaller shop. The binding and inlay work on many Loar mandolins may look a little rough when compared to the uber-high standards of today, but they were done to the standards of the day when they were built, and the overall quality of the instruments themselves is generally good even compared to the high quality instruments of today.

Hendrik Ahrend
Nov-30-2013, 10:08am
Those recent Gibsons are great, but not necessarily close to the originals.
Loar: 109990
mid '20s: 109992
late '20s (with pre-Loar script): 109991

2009 Fern, note the pre-Loar style script, the huge boring in the left scroll and the right scroll binding pointing downward. If you seek a close copy, you might want to look somewhere else:

Bernie Daniel
Nov-30-2013, 2:58pm
Ivan, sloppy is one thing, imperfect is another.
Bindings and inlays are simply decorations applied to a completed instrument, and while a sloppy job might reflect on the overall care taken by the builder throughout the building process, it might not as well. Mostly, I think a good workmen-like job on the decorations is good enough, if it is the choice the builder has made. A good builder may decide that is all the effort he/she want's to put toward the decorations, or it may be the best of his/her ability in terms of decoration. I just think it is a mistake to assume the "big boy's" CNC-cut pearl, inlay cavities and binding slots and expertly finished surfaces necessarily equate to a better overall quality compared to the evidence of imperfect hand work on a high quality, more traditionally hand built instrument form an individual or smaller shop. The binding and inlay work on many Loar mandolins may look a little rough when compared to the uber-high standards of today, but they were done to the standards of the day when they were built, and the overall quality of the instruments themselves is generally good even compared to the high quality instruments of today.

Undoubtedly true but by all accounts that I have read and heard from buyers the new Gibson mandolins (an the one F-5G I have played) built under Dave Harvey seem to be superior in every sense -- the build quality and the fit, trim and finish are outstanding and many say they sound better than any Gibson of the past -- ar at least they are best since the 1922 - 24 period. Over time a Harvey-signed Gibson will be something well worth owning I feel certain of that.

Bernie Daniel
Nov-30-2013, 3:02pm
Those recent Gibsons are great, but not necessarily close to the originals.

2009 Fern, note the pre-Loar style script, the huge boring in the left scroll and the right scroll binding pointing downward. If you seek a close copy, you might want to look somewhere else:

I think you mean not necessarily close in appearance? I think you made your point but again the concern of the OP was not if the new Gibsons were identical in appearance to the the older ones but rather were they built properly? I think the answer to that is yes, definitely they are as you say great mandolins lacking neither build quality or performance.

mandolirius
Nov-30-2013, 3:48pm

Then prepare to be disressed, for there was a time when they had a terrible reputation. I'm not an expert but I think we're talking late 50's through late 70's when the F5L was introduced. Since then, there seems to have been a steady improvement. Guys like Charlie Derrington, Danny Roberts and now Dave Harvey (who I have spent time with and knows as much about Gibson mandolins as anyone I've met) are apparently responsible for the improvements. I don't know if the "dark ages" ones were badly built but they definitely didn't sound very good. In fact, I think this was one of the main reasons the current rennaisance in building got underway, starting with guys like Givens, Wood, Taylor and a few others whose names I can't think of right now.

Hendrik Ahrend
Nov-30-2013, 6:49pm
I think you mean not necessarily close in appearance? I think you made your point but again the concern of the OP was not if the new Gibsons were identical in appearance to the the older ones but rather were they built properly? I think the answer to that is yes, definitely they are as you say great mandolins lacking neither build quality or performance.

Bernie, is it possible that appearance is always part of the quality aspect in an instrument? ("qualis" means "how it's made"). "Build it like a Loar", was Charlie Derrington's approach to a properly built mandolin. And since the F5L of 1978, Gibson made a point of making recreations and going back in history. They even went as far as offering Distressed Master Models. ("Missed out on the originals?") To the potential buyer of a Gibson - "The Gibson" - I assume it might well be of interest and an indication of a properly built instrument, to what degree it's built like the revered old ones. The "bad" ones of the '50, '60s and early '70s were mostly properly built; I mean most of them didn't fall apart, did they? Moreover, some were built even more solid.:)) However, most of us agree, that the sound just wasn't really - hm - good. So are we just talking about sound?:confused:

Gary Hedrick
Nov-30-2013, 7:07pm
John, I understand what you are saying about sloppy etc. But when I look at a mandolin there are categories of value that I look at. Fit and Finished are one of those details. Are they as important as quality of tone and playability .....heck no.. but they are a part of it. The figure of the wood....the finish around the fretboard extension both of the extension and of the top in that area. The finish around the sound holes and their cut....the quality of the inlay work ...the curve of the neck at the body and at the peghead. The sunburst (if there is one) is a sticking point with me on a lot of instruments....sure is easy to make that look like hell.

My January 12th '23 Loar had all sorts of little oddities....the tuners that overlapped the peghead curl ....the scroll binding etc. weren't the best....but what a mandolin!

I think Gibson is making great instruments today and I think Dave deserves a lot of credit for the quality of product.

Bernie Daniel
Nov-30-2013, 8:33pm
Bernie, is it possible that appearance is always part of the quality aspect in an instrument? ("qualis" means "how it's made"). "Build it like a Loar", was Charlie Derrington's approach to a properly built mandolin. And since the F5L of 1978, Gibson made a point of making recreations and going back in history. They even went as far as offering Distressed Master Models. ("Missed out on the originals?") To the potential buyer of a Gibson - "The Gibson" - I assume it might well be of interest and an indication of a properly built instrument, to what degree it's built like the revered old ones. The "bad" ones of the '50, '60s and early '70s were mostly properly built; I mean most of them didn't fall apart, did they? Moreover, some were built even more solid.:)) However, most of us agree, that the sound just wasn't really - hm - good. So are we just talking about sound?:confused:

Point taken!!

roberto
Dec-01-2013, 5:02am
Spruce, got any shots of recent Gibson body scrolls? Most of them - not all, though - have a funny eagle beak shaped binding mitre.
lol... mine! Is 1 year old today. The sound is awesome.
But if you live outside USA, there's no warranty! why? :confused:

almeriastrings
Dec-02-2013, 1:15am
There is a warranty, 12 months (but no lifetime warranty) if you buy from an official dealer/distributor where you live. There is no effective warranty at all if you import yourself, however. Your only claim then is to the dealer who sold it, and that may involve shipping it back if there is a problem. Many EU official Gibson dealers offer a 3-year warranty. This is usually long enough to identify major problems.

The 'Lifetime Warranty' is not offered outside the US.....

mandotim1955
Dec-02-2013, 4:14am
I played a 70s Gibson F5 the other day. The difference between that mandolin (which was 'ok') and my 2002 Roberts signed Fern was so big that you wouldn't believe they were made by the same company. Mandolin pickers owe a huge debt to the 'leap in the dark' taken by Charlie Derrington, and his legacy has been built on by both Danny Roberts and Dave Harvey. My Fern is a monster, but I think what Dave Harvey has brought is a new, even higher level of consistency; the recent Gibsons (from experience and accounts on here) are ALL monsters, with lashings of that sought-after tone and more volume than you will ever need. Even more good news; these instruments appear to be getting better with age. Mine has been played hard for the last three years or so, and is improving all the time. I can sit in an acoustic session with three Mastertone banjos, a couple of old Martin dreads, a loud fiddle and an electric bass, and if I want to be heard all I have to do is lean on it a little. I've even been asked to play the rhythm chop a little quieter during the banjo solo! It's to be hoped that Gibson realise what an outstanding team they have building these mandolins, and keep pushing for quality in the future.

sunburst
Dec-02-2013, 9:34am
...you wouldn't believe they were made by the same company...

They weren't, as I see it. Though the name was the same, the company was different.
Gibson may try to play up the "tradition" aspect of having a name that has survived for well over 100 years, but the company has changed so much so many times that the name is about the only thing that has been more or less the same throughout.

Gary Hedrick
Dec-02-2013, 9:59am
Exactly ....the company in the early 70's was a totally different animal....owned by different people and trying to make a profit (or bigger profit) by doing certain production techniques and a certain viewpoint of what was good enough.

As was said earlier in this thread Gibson is really a series of companies.....different owners and different visions. We are lucky that Henry J is allowing (or just not caring too much) what David is doing. Electric guitars is where the money is not in mandolins...but it certainly is one of the heritage pieces that I hope they continue to support.

So many mandolins to get a chance to play and so little time to do so.......ah such is life!!!

Bernie Daniel
Dec-02-2013, 11:04am
Well its a philosophical thing -- how many angels can dance on the head of a pin -- but IMO because a 100 year old company longer has the same management (at least we hope not), or philosophy on manufacturing/selling nor is headquartered in the same location does not mean it is a different company per se.

By that standard Chrysler is a different company too for example -- bought and owned and sold several times over the last 30 years - but many who buy a Dodge Charger SRT Hemi still feel some kind of attachment to Buddy Baker's 1969 Dodge 426 Hemi Charger that was the first car over 200 mph at Talladega (caveat assumes they even know about Baker LOL!). Those cars and the motors probably don't even share a bolt in common - but the are still both MoPars.

I agree that we are lucky that Gibson management is leaving David Harvey and his staff do their thing and make awesome mandolins again. Yes clearly mandolin sales are not a big part of the business anymore.

So I guess you could make a case the a Gibson that once made its big money on mandolins but no longer does has changed in that sense. But they are trying to build F-5's that are identical to or even better than the Loar-signed ones -- that is the old Gibson.

chip
Dec-02-2013, 11:20am
Maybe not but attention to detail usually shows intent to produce a quality product.

AlanN
Dec-02-2013, 12:09pm
I've even been asked to play the rhythm chop a little quieter during the banjo solo!

Was it Dawg who told Sam Bush: "You can play a mandolin too loud in a band".

Mike Bunting
Dec-02-2013, 3:11pm
Well its a philosophical thing -- how many angels can dance on the head of a pin -- but IMO because a 100 year old company longer has the same management (at least we hope not), or philosophy on manufacturing/selling nor is headquartered in the same location does not mean it is a different company per se.
I don't think that the statement was meant to be taken literally.

Bernie Daniel
Dec-02-2013, 3:26pm
I don't think that the statement was meant to be taken literally.

I didn't think so either! :)

Bernie Daniel
Dec-02-2013, 3:46pm
Then prepare to be disressed, for there was a time when they had a terrible reputation. I'm not an expert but I think we're talking late 50's through late 70's when the F5L was introduced. Since then, there seems to have been a steady improvement. Guys like Charlie Derrington, Danny Roberts and now Dave Harvey (who I have spent time with and knows as much about Gibson mandolins as anyone I've met) are apparently responsible for the improvements. I don't know if the "dark ages" ones were badly built but they definitely didn't sound very good. In fact, I think this was one of the main reasons the current rennaisance in building got underway, starting with guys like Givens, Wood, Taylor and a few others whose names I can't think of right now.

I think the "dark ages" is a good name of the period from say 1960 to 1978 -- almost two decades.

Agreed it was not the Gibson company per se that saved itself but dedicated individuals within, like you mentioned, Derrington, Roberts, and Harvey (and I'm sure there were others in Nashville involved in one way or another -- like Joe Vest for example).

But one person, I think, that should get special mention for helping to end those "dark ages" is Roger Siminoff in the late 1970's. His efforts to bring the F-5 mandolin back to the style and build quality of the 1920's Loar-signed models resulted in the F-5L (1978). IMO the F-5L could be called the first "real" F-5 mandolins since the end of WWII. Roger's efforts in that odessey are finally known. After that came the "Montana Movement" with Steve Carlson, Bruce Weber and Flatiron which proved to be another step in the path to the Nashville Renascence which happened later and that you mentioned.

I certainly agree too that the private builders like Givens and Woods helped keep the fires burning in the "dark ages".

alexzen
Dec-02-2013, 4:12pm
From what i've read on here,Dave Harvey is closely involved with Gibson's mandolin building work & considering his pedigree in the mandolin world,i doubt if a bad instrument would pass muster. If i owned one of the new Gibson 'Goldrush' mandolins,i'd be a very happy chappy !,
Ivan

Based on what I have been reading here for some time, I ordered a new Gold Rush a few months ago. Gibson just started making custom SKUs again, so I jumped on it. Should be arriving early December. Which is .......any day now? Apparently a few small changes in design. Will post pictures.

roberto
Dec-02-2013, 5:10pm
There is no effective warranty at all if you import yourself, however.
This must be the case. But it's worth anyway. The sound of my F5G is stunning!!

DataNick
Dec-02-2013, 5:28pm
I think the "dark ages" is a good name of the period from say 1960 to 1978 -- almost two decades.

Agreed it was not the Gibson company per se that saved itself but dedicated individuals within, like you mentioned, Derrington, Roberts, and Harvey (and I'm sure there were others in Nashville involved in one way or another -- like Joe Vest for example).

But one person, I think, that should get special mention for helping to end those "dark ages" is Roger Siminoff in the late 1970's. His efforts to bring the F-5 mandolin back to the style and build quality of the 1920's Loar-signed models resulted in the F-5L (1978). IMO the F-5L could be called the first "real" F-5 mandolins since the end of WWII. Roger's efforts in that odessey are finally known. After that came the "Montana Movement" with Steve Carlson, Bruce Weber and Flatiron which proved to be another step in the path to the Nashville Renascence which happened later and that you mentioned.

I certainly agree too that the private builders like Givens and Woods helped keep the fires burning in the "dark ages".

This thread is a nice read; lately sounds like a bit of church history: the "dark ages" or Star Wars Universe ("dark ages" aka age of The Empire when Dark Side of the force rules), but I like it!

I'm pretty convinced that my next purchase will be a custom F9...

Mike Bunting
Dec-02-2013, 5:30pm
And who have inspired a generation of great new buildes like Gilchrist,Duff, Heiden, Stanley and a host of others who are part of the golden age of mandolin manufacture.

cigman1st
Dec-02-2013, 7:51pm
I just received my new Gibson Fern signed by Dave Harvey on 11/14/13. I was amazed by the finish detail and the strong and great sound it has. The very first thing I did, besides play it a lot, was to contact Gary Price for my second case from him. He played it, and played it, and had nothing but wonderful things to say about it. His opinion was important to me as he has played Gibson mandolins for years.

yankees1
Dec-02-2013, 8:05pm
I just received my new Gibson Fern signed by Dave Harvey on 11/14/13. I was amazed by the finish detail and the strong and great sound it has. The very first thing I did, besides play it a lot, was to contact Gary Price for my second case from him. He played it, and played it, and had nothing but wonderful things to say about it. His opinion was important to me as he has played Gibson mandolins for years. Let's hear a music clip of it !

Gary Hedrick
Dec-02-2013, 8:31pm
Well when we old ##### say the dark ages man it was indeed the "dark" ages. The only mandolins being made that sounded good were the few independent builders and those weren't widely known. I bought a Randy Wood early 60's F12 conversion and thought I'd hit the lottery and ....well it was a good instrument.
Remember that Dave Harvey lived through these times also as a young man. He understand quality and doing it right.

Clef
Dec-03-2013, 1:21am
Based on what I have been reading here for some time, I ordered a new Gold Rush a few months ago. Gibson just started making custom SKUs again, so I jumped on it. Should be arriving early December. Which is .......any day now? Apparently a few small changes in design. Will post pictures.

Great choice ordering a Goldrush. I'm happy to hear Gibson is making them again and I look forward to seeing pics of yours. Mine is a custom Goldrush with a radius fretboard. I didn't order it custom, it came that way when I bought it. I've been very happy with my Goldrush and it's a real treat every time I take it out of the case to play.

As for current Gibson build quality under David Harvey, I think they are fantastic.

I only played two other new Gibson mandolins. Both were at The Mandolin Store and I played them recently. One was a brand new Sam Bush F5 and it is an excellent mandolin. The build was as good as it gets and it had excellent tone. I should also point out that the Sam Bush F5 was loud. There was plenty of volume with this one. The second Gibson I played was a used F5 Master Model and it was also a great mandolin with wonderful tone.

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-03-2013, 3:01am
Well,we've had the Gibson 'Derrington era',tragically cut short by Charlie's demise,but i can't help but feel it in my bones that the 'Harvey era' is going to be a talking point in years to come. My personal feelings are that Gibson had for a long while sort of pushed the mandolin onto a back burner 'pre.Charlie'. When Charlie Derrington took over as the leading mandolin guy,he raised the bar regarding construction. I see Bruce Harvey as not only building on Charlie's legacy of fine instruments,but maybe even improving on it to a degree,or at the very least,maintaining the standard. I just hope that Gibson realise what a gem of a guy they have in Bruce & let him continue without any corporate meddling. The kudos that Gibson ( & Bruce) are receiving once again for building fine instruments should be enough to satisfy any company,;)
Ivan~:>

Mike Bunting
Dec-03-2013, 3:06am
Who is Bruce Harvey?

Bernie Daniel
Dec-03-2013, 6:51am
Great choice ordering a Goldrush. I'm happy to hear Gibson is making them again and I look forward to seeing pics of yours. Mine is a custom Goldrush with a radius fretboard. I didn't order it custom, it came that way when I bought it. I've been very happy with my Goldrush and it's a real treat every time I take it out of the case to play.

As for current Gibson build quality under David Harvey, I think they are fantastic.

I only played two other new Gibson mandolins. Both were at The Mandolin Store and I played them recently. One was a brand new Sam Bush F5 and it is an excellent mandolin. The build was as good as it gets and it had excellent tone. I should also point out that the Sam Bush F5 was loud. There was plenty of volume with this one. The second Gibson I played was a used F5 Master Model and it was also a great mandolin with wonderful tone.

David definitely has a "gift" when it comes to building or setting up a mandolin. I think partly it's because, by instinct, he's a perfectionist and partly just a case of sharp eyes, keen ears, and an overall clear instincts for everything mandolin. I sent a very good 2001 Sam Bush F-5 down to his shop for some minor repair and a set up. It came back to me as a simply outstanding mandolin and that is not just my opinion either. I hope Gibson management knows how lucky they are to have David Harvey working for the company today.

cayuga red
Dec-03-2013, 8:15am
Dave Harvey is a genius.

Gary Hedrick
Dec-03-2013, 8:38am
Who is Bruce Harvey?

Oh he just had a small slip.....Mr. Spruce won't mind his name being used in praise....

Gary Hedrick
Dec-03-2013, 8:40am
David definitely has a "gift" when it comes to building or setting up a mandolin. I think partly it's because, by instinct, he's a perfectionist and partly just a case of sharp eyes, keen ears, and an overall clear instincts for everything mandolin. I sent a very good 2001 Sam Bush F-5 down to his shop for some minor repair and a set up. It came back to me as a simply outstanding mandolin and that is not just my opinion either. I hope Gibson management knows how lucky they are to have David Harvey working for the company today.

Oh you can say that again. Many times I have read or heard about folks taking there "pain in the butt" mandolins to him and he lays hands on them and voila' the pain goes away.

Whit 29
Dec-03-2013, 3:24pm
my God I love my Harvey Fern. sometimes I just sit and look at. I bleed Gibson.

Whit 29
Dec-03-2013, 3:33pm
Oh you can say that again. Many times I have read or heard about folks taking there "pain in the butt" mandolins to him and he lays hands on them and voila' the pain goes away. where is this shop? can a person just walk in with his stuff and get it worked on, or do you have to call ahead. thanks

woodwizard
Dec-03-2013, 4:46pm
I love all my Gibsons. Really love my 06 Goldrush. There are times that I take it out of the case and play it but then there are many times I take it out of the case and can't help to just admire everything about it before I play it. It is such a beautiful and great sounding mandolin.

almeriastrings
Dec-03-2013, 9:03pm
One interesting thing, which really shows the attention to detail, was that when I got mine, and took it out of the box for the very first time, I didn't need to do a thing with it, apart from tune it up. The setup was spot-on. Perfect. To use that wonderful phrase we all love here (:) ) it "played like butter". It still does. That is quite impressive, given the sad state many turn up in...

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-04-2013, 4:52am
Who is Bruce Harvey ? - He's Dave Harvey's 'alter ego',his driving force if you like.That's my excuse anyway !. Sorry about that,i'd just been reading a Weber thread,:redface:
The mandolins currently being produced under the care & attention of 'Mr' Harvey, IMHO are going to be considered to be of 'superior vintage' in years to come. I'd be surprised if their value not only holds at it's present level,but doesn't actually increase over time. Right now if i could have 2 mandolins other than the ones i do have,i'd have an Ellis F5 & i'd certainly be sniffing around for a 'Harvey era' Gibson 'Goldrush' or 'Fern',
Ivan~:>