PDA

View Full Version : Cumberland bridges

Jordan S.
Nov-27-2013, 8:13pm
I'm always looking for little tweaks and improvements to my mandolin and just wondering - the deal with these?

Stephen Perry
Nov-27-2013, 8:18pm
Better materials, tighter tolerances.

mandroid
Nov-27-2013, 8:22pm
well made select materials , Peter Mix Bought Steve Smith's bridges to use on my Carbon Fiber A5.

Wander thru the archives with that topic. often asked.

Cheryl Watson
Nov-27-2013, 9:10pm
I replaced the original bridge on one of my mandolins with a Cumberland Acoustic bridge (two-footed) and it made a noticable, positive difference in tone, intonation, and response. Steve Smith is super to deal with; great customer service.

Jon Hall
Nov-27-2013, 9:58pm
I replaced the 14 year old original Weber bridge with a Cumberland bridge. Because the string slots in the Weber bridge were a little ragged the E and A strings sounded bright and a little louder. The G strings might also be a little louder than they were. The intonation is much improved. The compensated saddle seems to be right on.

The luthier, that installed the Cumberland, was impressed that the height of the posts is adjustable. A small allen wrench is included for this purpose.

Steve recommended the footed bridge instead of the full contact bridge. He said the bridge with two feet is easier to fit to the top. That turned out to be good advice since the luthier said he had to remove quite a bit of wood in order to fit it to the top of my '99 Absaroka.

I'm very pleased with the bridge and the installation. I'm having the frets replaced next week. After 14 years of daily playing my mandolin needed some TLC.