PDA

View Full Version : Flatiron question.

Girouardfan
Nov-26-2013, 10:15am
I'm looking at a 1989 montana flatiron a styled mandolin. The headstock just says flatiron but when I look up 1989 flatiron online they all say The Flation. The top looks a like more simpler on this one. Its in pretty good condition what would you say its worth?

DataNick
Nov-26-2013, 10:35am
I'm looking at a 1989 montana flatiron a styled mandolin. The headstock just says flatiron but when I look up 1989 flatiron online they all say The Flation. The top looks a like more simpler on this one. Its in pretty good condition what would you say its worth?

Sounds like a Festival or Performer. One from 94' just sold on the classifieds for $700 I think, and it was in really good condition.
In think the A5 Artist models had "The" added to Flatiron on the headstock. Those are X-braced, have more expensive appointments and hence go for more ($1200-1500 range I think)

Willie Poole
Nov-26-2013, 1:42pm
I googled "Flatiron Mandolins" and there is a picture of a Performer A without the "THE" on the headstock so I guess that is the style of mandolin you are referring to....

You can find a world of info on the Internet if you just do it...

Willie

Gary Sanders
Dec-07-2013, 10:14am
From what I recall, the Signature Series models, from The F style master and A style artist to the A5 JR all have "The Flatiron" on the headstock, either in MOP or as a decal (early JR's). The Performer series, Performers and Festivals, introduced some time around 1986 or 1987 as a less expensive alternative, has "Flatiron" on the headstock in MOP. At least this applies to the Montana Flatirons. I don't know if it changed when they moved to Nashville.