PDA

View Full Version : Mando recomendation ?

Brandon Sumner
Nov-23-2013, 10:41am
Not sure if this is the right forum but I do not see one for new instrument comparisons.
I am looking for a new F model, less than $1800.00 ideally and like the looks and what I have read about the Kentucky KM1000B. I played some less expensive Kentucky A models before settling on an Eastman MD505 as my first mandolin, mostly as I found the Eastman sounded better and I liked the neck, it might take me a bit to get used to the V neck on the Kentucky? and am interested in everyone's thoughts on the higher end Kentucky instruments, as well as other offerings in this price range. I like the Black finish a lot. Thanks!

Pasha Alden
Nov-23-2013, 11:53am
At Vstrings: I shall not comment on F models as I do not have one. Must just say best with your comparison and possible purchase of the f style mandolin, hope your journey leads you to your perfect mandolin.

Vanilla

Brandon Sumner
Nov-23-2013, 7:37pm
Hi Vanilla, Thanks for the good wishes, I like my "A" a lot and it suits my preferred playing style well, Would like the F in my collection too though but who knows? perhaps another A is headed my way as well?

Brandon

Pasha Alden
Nov-23-2013, 11:04pm
Vstrings I am working towards a bowl back. Once I've got that I will also look into the F style. I had my eye on a beautiful f style out of zebra wood sold by Jeff at Jbovier but I decided to stick to an a style, Though mine is an a5, so we have F shaped holes.

Brandon Sumner
Nov-24-2013, 8:43am
Vannilla;, Nice! I hope one comes your way soon. My Easton MD 505 is also an A5. I primarily want to learn Irish and Celtic music but am thinking of the F model for strap attachment reasons actually! That and they look kind of cool. Granted, one can get a lot more "A" for ones money it seems :mandosmiley:

Pasha Alden
Nov-24-2013, 10:08am
Well best of luck with that F model - may you find that mandolin soon!

Denny Gies
Nov-24-2013, 10:31am
I have owned a Kentucky KM1000 in the past and have a friend who has an Eastman F model. Both are serviceable instruments. It would be best to play whichever one you are planning to buy before buying it. Good luck and have fun.

pfox14
Nov-27-2013, 10:24am
There's no substitute for playing as many f-style mandos in your price range as you can get your hands on.