PDA

View Full Version : Microphone Question 57 or 58?

Ben Cooper
Nov-20-2013, 7:34pm
If you were limited to choosing between an SM57 and an SM58, which would you choose to mic a mandolin?

mando.player
Nov-20-2013, 7:43pm
57 as it's primarily an instrument mic. 58's are primarily vocal mics.

Vernon Hughes
Nov-20-2013, 7:43pm
57 all the way..58 is a vocal mic.

mandroid
Nov-20-2013, 7:49pm
same capsule in both, but the ball keeps it from slipping through your fingers.

the capsule in the 57 is closer to the end, so there is that .

.. foam windscreen will keep from doing hard bumps close Mic-ing.

roysboy
Nov-21-2013, 5:18am
The mics are identical but for the screen on the 58

Tim2723
Nov-21-2013, 7:22am
The 57 is the instrument mic configuration, but it can be used as a vocal mic as well. If you can only have one, make it a 57.

Polecat
Nov-21-2013, 1:11pm
I have often wondered why Shure produce both the 57 and the 58; as others have noted, they both contain the same capsule, and for micing amps or instruments, I haven't really noticed much of a difference. For vocals, though, the 58 is easier to use - the 57 has a really big bass boost up close, and is over sensitive to plosives. I'm going to completely disagree with Tim2723 and recommend the SM58 because I believe the cage makes it better protected and more robust - soundwise it doesn't matter, but the 58 will probably survive longer if you are planning on using it for live work.

oldwave
Nov-21-2013, 2:50pm
Neither id buy a Heil Pr22 a much better sounding mic.

davidtoc
Nov-21-2013, 10:15pm
Are you using it for a live show or for a recording?

-dave

If you were limited to choosing between an SM57 and an SM58, which would you choose to mic a mandolin?

almeriastrings
Nov-22-2013, 12:58am
If it really was strictly limited to those two options, and as the OP states "to mic a mandolin" (not vocals) then it has to be the 57. Just make sure (!) it really is a Shure SM57 and not one of the tens of thousands of fakes in circulation..... Ebay is flooded with the things.

mandroid
Nov-22-2013, 2:15am
an interesting package http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/sm/sm57-x2u-usb-digital-bundle
offers a potential to home record, and then take the mic to gigs.

mandotim1955
Nov-22-2013, 4:26am
Both are ok mics, but are very old designs. They do the job adequately, with the 57 probably shading it for this work. I have a few of each, and they are sort of like a habit you can't break; you know you should use something better, but.... As Almeria says, fakes are a real problem with both these mics. There are even blatant unbranded copies out there now, that look like the real thing but are inferior quality. The thing is, microphone technology has moved on hugely in the last ten years or so, and the price you pay for that technology has dropped dramatically. If you have phantom power available on your mixer or amp, I would consider a small diaphragm condenser. These used to be very expensive and mostly for studio use, but prices are now comparable with a 'real' SM57. If you want to stick with a dynamic mic, I've been having really good results with the Audix i5. It's compact, very robust and has a far better sound than the 57. Cheaper too.

Tim2723
Nov-22-2013, 6:20am
I never found the windscreen on the 58 to be all that effective against plosives. It's just a very thin bit of open-cell foam. I recall a video by Shure showing both mics being dropped from great heights and surviving, so ruggedness kind of falls out of the equation. You can always put an inexpensive foam screen on a 57, but you don't want to play a 58 without the ball. So I'd still go for a 57 if it were the only choice, but it's probably not that significant or worth arguing about. I've seen specials at MF that package the pair of them together for a couple of bucks more. If you wait for that deal you can have both. They do that about once a year or so. And do buy from a reputable source. There are tons of fakes.

8ch(pl)
Nov-22-2013, 6:58am
I made a black canvas sleeve about 3 inches wide to go around the ball. it has been sewn so that it fits tight around the centre seam of the ball. It is doubled over toward the inside and sewn, this rests at the centre seam. The end was cut at the Selvedge (the side of the roll) and it is hand sewn to tighten it to where the ball attaches to the mike ( a drarstring would also serve.. By stretching the sleeve over the diameter of the ball, it leaves a hole that is smaller in area than the ball. I sing into this and there is better muffling of outside noise.

8ch(pl)
Nov-22-2013, 7:00am
I made a black canvas sleeve about 3 inches wide to go around the ball. it has been sewn so that it fits tight around the centre seam of the ball. It is doubled over toward the inside and sewn, this rests at the centre seam. The end was cut at the Selvedge (the side of the roll) and it is hand sewn to tighten it to where the ball attaches to the mike ( a drawstring would also serve) By stretching the sleeve over the diameter of the ball, it leaves a hole that is smaller in area than the ball. I sing into this and there is better muffling of outside noise.

8ch(pl)
Nov-22-2013, 7:01am
Sorry about the double post, I was trying to edit the spelling. Now a 3rd post

Tim2723
Nov-22-2013, 9:40am
Oh, and since the OP wants it to mic a mandolin the 57 would be the choice. I only mentioned that it can be used as a vocal mic because, well, it can.

UsuallyPickin
Nov-22-2013, 10:16am
Yeah 57's are tough and of reliable quality as instrument mics........ R/

Jim
Nov-23-2013, 3:08pm
57, near indistructable. There are probably better mics out there at near the price but chances are your listeners won't be able to tell the difference. You do need to stay close to them.

Spruce
Nov-23-2013, 3:52pm
If you're a fan of the 57 you might want to check out an older 545 variant sometime...
Sometimes they slip under the radar and can be had for 1/2 the price of a 57, but folks are finding out about them... ;)
Here's (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xshure +545&_nkw=shure+545&_sacat=0&_from=R40) a gaggle of 'em on E%$y...
Make sure you get one that has the right cable, or that is XLR'd...
And the old ones sound a little "tighter" to these ears than the newer ones...

They are actually my fav mics on a lot of things...

f5loar
Nov-23-2013, 9:44pm
Both are consider the "workhorses" of the sound industry in both recording and live. Many of the old rockers still use them. I prefer the 57 for mando/guitar/banjo and 58 for vocal but agree you could switch them too and it's not that much different. You would need the ears of someone like Lloyd Loar or George Martin to hear the difference. Ordinary people would fail a blind test on these 2.

Ben Cooper
Nov-24-2013, 7:53am
Thanks everyone for such great info. Having been a vocalist for years I have used the 58 much of the time. I have a couple of both in my arsenal for live micing. I also have a "Beta" 57. not sure if there is much difference...

Tim2723
Nov-24-2013, 9:15am
Oh. I thought you were looking to buy your first microphone and could only afford one or the other. Guess I got that wrong.

mandotim1955
Nov-24-2013, 12:15pm
A Beta57A is a very different mic to the SM57, with greater sensitivity and different sonic character. I use one a lot, mostly on snare drum, where it really sounds great. Not bad for mandolin either, but not as good (to my ears) as the Audix i5.

Ben Cooper
Nov-24-2013, 5:26pm
Oh. I thought you were looking to buy your first microphone and could only afford one or the other. Guess I got that wrong.

LOL! No, I have a couple of 57 and a couple of 58's as well as the Beta 57.

almeriastrings
Nov-24-2013, 10:00pm
So use the one you like best :grin:

Timmando
Nov-25-2013, 9:30am
There used to be a music store in West Palm Beach that had a turntable with about 10 mics on it. It allowed you to test each mic before purchase. There were headphones you would put on and then sing into each mic to hear the difference. I was really surprised at how much difference there was in the mics. Some sounded exceptional in the headphones for vocals. That music store has closed and I have not seen such a display anywhere. I am hoping that Guitar Center does something like this, instead of having to hook up each mic you want to test. The turntable setup was ezpz, just punch a button and test a different mic. BTW, our band uses 57's, 58's, Beta 57's and Beta 58's...and one older 58 that sounds better than all the rest.

Spruce
Nov-25-2013, 12:01pm
There used to be a music store in West Palm Beach that had a turntable with about 10 mics on it. It allowed you to test each mic before purchase.....

Reminded me of this.... ;)

CdxvVNlRiKs]CdxvVNlRiKs

Markus
Nov-25-2013, 12:14pm
I certainly would try the Beta 57.

I would try them all - of the mics I have there's a Beta 58 that I like in the whole acoustic amp/DI, instrument, how I play mics, and my playing style combination. I'll use my plain old 57 in a heartbeat and without complaint.

There are better mics, and when someone hooks one up in front of me I love it - but I've got a couple mics of my own and the 57/58/beta58 all have gotten use at gigs.

Astro
Nov-25-2013, 1:42pm
I have the AudioX OM2 on sale from GC for about 80 bucks I think. Its seems good enough for both to me. At least its not the weak link in my chain.

Here is an audio comparison to the 58:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH738VKo3BE

Tim2723
Nov-27-2013, 11:30am
Spruce, thanks for posting that. I'll have nightmares now, thank you.

almeriastrings
Nov-27-2013, 2:46pm
Too funny... and unfortunately, also often too true! :crying:

Ben Cooper
Nov-27-2013, 7:40pm
Reminded me of this.... ;)

CdxvVNlRiKs]CdxvVNlRiKs

LMAO!!!!! THAT was disturbing AND hillarious!

mandolirius
Nov-27-2013, 8:05pm
I generally prefer a small-diaphragm condenser but have a Beta57 to use in situations where feedback is a concern. Both do the job but the condenser seems to give me a bit more natural sound.

Steve Ostrander
Nov-27-2013, 9:04pm
I was told that the sm57 is unidirectional and the sm58 is omnidirectional, no?

almeriastrings
Nov-28-2013, 2:15am
No.

mandroid
Nov-29-2013, 3:07am
"don't believe every thing you think" :disbelief: :whistling: