PDA

View Full Version : Gibson A - model, year?

jim simpson
Nov-19-2013, 9:46pm
This belongs to a friend/band-mate. I'm checking it out, considering it for a possible instrument swap. The label is so faded, no # is visible. The bridge doesn't look original to me, large thumb-wheels. Tailpiece is original, photo doesn't show engraved Gibson.
I'm guessing teens but that's all I got. oh, yeah, it looks like Andy Statman borrowed this one for a while, lol.

tree
Nov-20-2013, 8:33am
Cool - a 4 piece top. What about a FON? And an in-focus shot of the tuners on the back?

jim simpson
Nov-20-2013, 8:35am
I'll add a shot of the tuners later. I thought it was a 3-piece top.

tree
Nov-20-2013, 8:47am
Hard to say from the photos, but I think I see a seam about 3/8" in from the treble end of the bridge base.

A-2 maybe?

I don't own the Spann book, but a FON would help you narrow down the year.

dustyamps
Nov-20-2013, 9:40am
Looks to be a 1919-21 A model with a replaced bridge. I have a similar Sheridan brown A with a 3 piece top from 1920 with no visible FON number inside.

FLATROCK HILL
Nov-20-2013, 9:42am
Looks like a '20 plain 'A' with a later bridge.

jim simpson
Nov-20-2013, 10:17am
Thanks everyone so far. Would the original bridge have that little hole for a pickguard support? I know this finish seems more fragile than others. I foolishly put masking tape on a model that I previously owned, the tape lifted the finish right off. This one is no longer my friends as we agreed to a swap.

FLATROCK HILL
Nov-20-2013, 3:06pm
Thanks everyone so far. Would the original bridge have that little hole for a pickguard support? .

Yes.