PDA

View Full Version : set up without feeler guage using coins

HDLuers
Nov-17-2013, 6:49pm
I don't have a set of feeler gauages. At the 1st fret a I am at the thickness of a dime and the thickness of a nickel at the 12th fret. Anyone able to tell if my action is low enough. Thank you

Jim
Nov-17-2013, 7:19pm
Seems a little high to me. I can't get a dime between fret & G string until the 5th fret. I can get a nickel under between fret & G string at 14th but barely ( it moves string a little) This is on my work locker Mandolin a 1960 Harmony, not bad but not the best action I got.

Rob Meldrum
Nov-17-2013, 10:09pm
HDL,

A set of feeler gauges costs less than ten dollars at any auto parts store, WalMart or Harbor Freight. Mandolins are fussy little beasts. You'll never get an accurate set up using coins. If you haven't already, email me at rob.meldrum@gmail.com for my free ebook on how to set up a mandolin. You'll learn how to use the feeler gauges to make custom-size nut saws, too.

Rob

nickster60
Nov-17-2013, 11:29pm
$3.99 for a full set at harbor freight.

sunburst
Nov-17-2013, 11:48pm
I don't use feeler gauges at all in for setting up mandolins. (?)

Bernie Daniel
Nov-18-2013, 12:33am
I don't use feeler gauges at all in for setting up mandolins. (?)

I've used feeler gauges from time to time to get accurate measurements of action and relief on mandocellos.

But they are not the easiest tool to use for making precise measurements because it is easy to move a string and if you do not come in parallel to the fret you can disturb the string and get a distorted measurement.

I like the gauge sold at AutoZone the outer end of each blade (shaded area on pic) is 0.002" less than the rest of the blade -- so you have two thickness on each blade. That's handy.

Steve Sorensen
Nov-18-2013, 1:37am
Bridge -- Here's a good starting place for "low bluegrass action" -- adjust your bridge so that a 1.5 mm (Heavy) pick just fits under the E strings and is slightly loose on the G side at the 15th fret.

Nut -- The height of strings at the first fret should be almost the same as the height of the strings at the second fret when you fret on the first (that's the way it's working down the rest of the neck, right?)

String Pairs -- When you press down on each of the strings in a pair, it should be clear to you that they are exactly the same height above the first fret. You don't need feeler gauges to see this. Slight differences in string height in the pairs from the nut makes for huge gains (or losses) in comfort and playability.

Steve

sunburst
Nov-18-2013, 1:43am
I like the gauge sold at AutoZone the outer end of each blade (shaded area on pic) is 0.002" less than the rest of the blade -- so you have two thickness on each blade. That's handy.

They used to be known as "go/no go" gauges. Useful for adjusting lifters on cars back in the days of solid (not hydraulic) lifters. I still have the ones I used for the intake and exhaust valves in the flathead V8 in my '49 Ford. I have several sets of feeler gauges, but I don't feel a need to use them for setting up mandolins.

Gregooch
Nov-18-2013, 7:50am
I don't have a set of feeler gauages. At the 1st fret a I am at the thickness of a dime and the thickness of a nickel at the 12th fret. Anyone able to tell if my action is low enough. Thank you

I tested this for you on my old 60's/70's bowl back which has very low action, I can fit a quarter under the 12th fret but the string gets pushed up slightly, under the 14th fret it does not push the string up and fits a tad loosely, a penny under the 12th fret stays in place slightly loosely barely moving the string, a dime fits a tad loosley under the 9th fret but lifts the string slightly under the 7th fret. A Golden Gate pick fits snugly under the 10th fret but lifts the string when placed under the 7th fret. Under the 10th fret a dime slides through but fits snugly under the 8th fret and lifts the string when placed under the 7th fret. A fender medium pick slides through the 5th fret but stays snug under the 3rd barely moving the string. A Fender medium pick fits snugly under the 3rd fret but lifts the string when placed under the first fret. by loosely PS I mean while it fits it is neither a tight squeeze nor does it slide right through the strings and fall out but just kind of stays in place on it's own. Hope this helps...

Shelagh Moore
Nov-18-2013, 8:00am
I also don't use feeler gauges or coins when doing a set-up but rather judgement and an appreciation of what the player likes and is comfortable with in the way of action, their style of music, factors such as type of strings and gauges, and what can be achieved with the instrument in question. I know what I like in my instruments but other people often have their own preferences.

Bernie Daniel
Nov-18-2013, 8:15am
They are good for that -- been there done that a LOT.

One thing I was going to mention is that instead of using coins a person could also use picks because the thickness of most of those are known.

BTW coins could useful for approximating action I guess although I've never resorted to using them:
US dime ~ 1.3 mm (0.053");
US penny or a quarter ~ 1.6 mm (0.062"); and
US nickel ~ 2.0 mm (0.079").
Since we are on the topic a money, a standard credit card is 0.7mm (0.027").
Standard printer paper (25lb) is ~0.1mm (0.005").

But a StewMac (or other brand) of string action gauge and/or a little 6" metal mechanics ruler (like the kind made by General) that are calibrated in 1/32" and 1/64" are both much better IMO and both have decimal equivalents listed on the back.

Edit: apologies to Greggoch who posted while I was composing I guess! :)

Jim
Nov-18-2013, 8:42am
I have never used feeler gauges in setup of Mandolins or Guitars. Generally did it by feel/sight/ear and after 40 years +/- of it am pretty decent at it. However I can see how there use gives you a standard that is easy to work with and also easy to have a conversation about without having the instrument in your hands.

HDLuers
Nov-18-2013, 9:01am
HDL,

A set of feeler gauges costs less than ten dollars at any auto parts store, WalMart or Harbor Freight. Mandolins are fussy little beasts. You'll never get an accurate set up using coins. If you haven't already, email me at rob.meldrum@gmail.com for my free ebook on how to set up a mandolin. You'll learn how to use the feeler gauges to make custom-size nut saws, too.

Rob

I'll get a set. Just didn't want to run to town to get em and thought I could get a "ball park" ideer of if I am close or not.