PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify this mandolin?

Tobin
Nov-16-2013, 10:20pm
There's a local auction coming up, and they have an old mandolin I may be interested in buying. I have not seen it in person, but my wife looked at it briefly. She says it has no name on the peghead and no label inside. She could not find any identifying marks, but it was just a quick look. It's not a bowl-back; it has a flat back (perhaps arched, not sure, but definitely not a bowl-back).

The tailpiece looks familiar, and I'm sure I've seen one like this before. I just can't place it, and I'm not a vintage mandolin expert.

All I have to go by is the crummy photo you see below, from the auctioneer's preview. It's not very good quality, and I apologize for not have any more to work with. But can anyone identify the make/model/year, and perhaps hazard a guess as to its fair market value? Assume no structural issues.

Jim
Nov-16-2013, 10:39pm
Maybe Regal, Top looks like it's sinking. Tailpiece may be most valuable thing there. No idea of year <$25

Tom Coletti
Nov-16-2013, 10:48pm
It kinda-sorta looks like the first one in this video, but with a less circular soundhole and v-shaped headstock. They both have the same tailpiece, but that could have been used on several brands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiGtiyIMwog

No idea on the value (it's what you're willing to pay!) but it does sound nice, assuming that they are of the same maker.

--Tom

lenf12
Nov-17-2013, 9:51am
It appears to have a birch top (I could be very wrong) rather than spruce and as Jim points out, the top looks to be sinking between the bridge and tailpiece and bulging between the bridge and sound hole. I have no idea who may have made the mandolin but it screams "budget model" all the way. If it sounds good and has no structural issues I could be persuaded to part with $25 or $30 of my hard earned money if I needed yet another cheap mandolin (which I don't).

Len B.
Clearwatr, FL

Tobin
Nov-17-2013, 10:09am
Good point about the top sinking. I didn't notice that before, but it's quite evident in the photos. I'll probably take a pass on this, unless I just want a decorative wall hanger.

pfox14
Nov-17-2013, 3:50pm
Looks like a Harmony to me. They used that peghead shape and "fan" style tailpiece in the 30s.

Jim Garber
Nov-17-2013, 4:05pm
it could be made by Harmony or Regal. It appears in a 1925 P'mico (Progressive Music Company) catalog. Here's a scan with specs.

I also see almost identical mandolin in another distributor catalog, 1939 Grossman and in a 1925 Lyon & Healy catalog under their lowend Lakeside brand.

pfox14
Nov-17-2013, 7:54pm
Here are the Harmony mandolins from CMI's 1932 catalog. Looks like the #300 on the left to me.

Jim Garber
Nov-17-2013, 8:52pm
Agreed, Paul.

Jim Garber
Nov-17-2013, 9:43pm
Here on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1930-039-s-Harmony-P-039-Mico-Collegiate-USA-Mandolin-PROJECT-BODY-amp-NECK-/390704295123?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276) is a similar one tho the headstock is different. The seller says Harmony also.

MikeEdgerton
Nov-17-2013, 10:10pm
It appears to be a Harmony. If you get a chance look to see if there are any numbers printed inside. They made these under dozens of brand names for many years.

Tobin
Nov-18-2013, 8:24am
Here are the Harmony mandolins from CMI's 1932 catalog. Looks like the #300 on the left to me.

It does look like that #300 model, but your image shows that it is a flat top with a 'break' near the bridge location, much like a bowl-back would have. But in the photo of the mandolin being auctioned, it looks like an arch-top. At least, that's what it looks like to me. Is it possible that it just looks like an arch-top because the light is reflecting on the sagging portion of the top? I just can't see a break line on it.

Jim Garber
Nov-18-2013, 8:50am
It is a flattop, not an archtop tho one in better condition should have an induced arch.

pfox14
Nov-18-2013, 11:53am
You're right, the top on the Harmony #300 does looked canted. Not sure if they were actually built that way or not. The tailpiece and peghead shape sure match up.

bmac
Dec-04-2013, 7:51pm
it looks to be in bad shape with a sunken top.... at around $30 or so it would be an interesting fixer-upper or if nothing else for parts. But I would try to repair it just for the experience of doing so. Good repairing experience in my opinion. Might even have a decent sound with a little luck.

If you want a player without having to repair I would keep looking.