PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, question about strings

lunamoth
Nov-10-2013, 12:11pm
Hello, I am beginning to learn the mandolin, and bought a cheapo Blue Moon to start on.
(don't laff!) The action is a little high so I lowered the bridge, but Im sure I read somewhere on here that good strings can help a bit. Can anyone tell me the make of good strings? :)

Jim
Nov-10-2013, 1:06pm
D'Addario strings are my favorite, Light gauge like j62 from them can be easier to fret. J74 strings from t D'Adarrio are a medium string that many feel have good tone but might be a little heavy for beginner fingers. Martin makes light strings for mandolin that I often put on low priced mandolins I have setup for beginners and my main reason for using them is that they sound ok, are easy to fret and are very inexpensive. GHS also makes some fine sounding strings. Light mandolin strings will have a G string of .034 or .036 Mediums will be a G string of .038 or .040. Hope this helps, strings are very much a matter of personal preference and you might by a few different brands until you find what you like. Alomost any new string will improve the sound of a mandolin over what came on it.

Willie Poole
Nov-10-2013, 1:27pm
You will have to try a lot of different strings to find the ones that are to your liking, I have tried just about every make out there and have settled on GHS A-270`s, they are medium gauge and should work fine on your mandolin....

Also try some different picks as they also have a lot to do with the way a mandolin sounds....

Good luck and before long you will want to upgrade to a better quality mandolin and by then you should know what strings and picks you prefer....

Willie

lunamoth
Nov-10-2013, 1:36pm
Thanks so much Jim, really helpful info, did not want to go down the road of a better mando until Im sure I will stick with it, I have a weak left wrist from a break about 1 year ago, so I will try new strings to see if it makes the learning easier.

lunamoth
Nov-10-2013, 1:44pm
Thanks Willie you are right at the mo I have nooooo idea.............thanks for helpful info

bmac
Nov-10-2013, 1:44pm
The general thinking on strings seems to be that original strings on Chinese made mandos are inferior so either change them or go with the Chinese stings until they wear our and change them to strings available in the US. In either case you really should have two sets of new strings available in case of broken strings and many folks change their strings fairly regularly just because they tend to lose their tone compared to newish strings. Perhaps as often as every few months....But normally folks may leave them on the instrument for a year or two and then change.... It depends on the amount of playing you do.

Regarding your Blue Moon mando.... Although you lowered the bridge that may not have solved your problem.... It is the nut hight which is normally the problem in many (all?) new lower end mandos. See frets.com for information on nuts and bridges and adjusting them. Very important.

Any standard brand of strings sold in america is good.... If you see strings sold as "bargain strings" I would simply avoid them as being a bit suspicious. But what do I know....

For the beginner I would suggest medium gage strings as they are strong. Light strings, in my opinion are not good for beginners as the strings are so thin as to cut through developing calouses. Once good calouses are developed then light strings are fine.

heavy guage strings are tougher and some folks avoid them because they require a little more tension and some mandos are not built for them. Your mando may suggest medium guage.

It is important to remember that this is your learing mando and if you take to mando you will want to get a better one but until that time yours is probably fine.

Most players use flat picks on mandos. Mediume weight triangular ones about 1" sides. but you can use whatever works for you. Normally finger pics and thumb picks are not used on mandolins.

Hope you bought an electronic clip on tuner. These are helpful.

lunamoth
Nov-10-2013, 2:07pm
Another host of encouraging info, thank you! Nut? Is that what I got an allen key for, came with the mando? I will be buying new strings tonight, I am in England but I'm sure Ive seen these on Ebay. I find a light flat pick is good, although I have played guitar I never picked, its a learning curve.
Thanx to all for a friendly helpful welcome to this forum :-)

Jim
Nov-10-2013, 2:24pm
The nut is the bone or plastic part that has grooves cut in it to guide the strings at the end of the fretboard where the tuning machines are. The grooves in the nut often need to be cut deeper to facilitate easier fretting and proper intonation.

mandobassman
Nov-10-2013, 2:45pm
Although "bmac" is offering some helpful information, I respectfully disagree with some of it. First, adjusting the nut is not always recommended for even an experienced player, much less someone who is just learning how to play. No matter how good the info is on frets.com, the proper tools and knowledge is needed to do a nut adjustment correctly. Second, I would highly recommend light gauge strings for a beginning player, especially if the nut is a little too high. One of the most common complaints from beginners is the strings hurt their fingers. Lighter gauge strings will make this easier until the callouses develop. At that point, you can switch to medium gauge to get a better tone. I would second Jim Richmond's suggestion of the D'Addario J62 set or maybe even the J73 set which is the same as the J62 with a slightly heavier G string. As far as the nut is concerned, I would get that adjusted but let someone qualified do it. If the nut is too high it will make pressing the strings down much harder to do. Just so you know, the nut is the white piece that the strings pass through before the first fret. See photo below.

lunamoth
Nov-10-2013, 3:34pm
Thank you Mandobassman, I was starting to look for a nut that could need a spanner, its me that's the nut, lol
I have really been enthused by all your help, I was afraid bcoz you all seem so professional, but now really glad I joined here lol

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-11-2013, 4:17am
From lunamoth - "did not want to go down the road of a better mando until Im sure I will stick with it,....". That's a very wise decision,i did exactly the same myself. After you've given playing a serious try,you'll know in your own mind if you have the 'talent to play',if you have then take it from there.
I'll go with Jim Richmond's advice on the D'Addario J62's. They are a lighter gauge,which,if you have left wrist problems should ease you into it. Also,as you seem to be know enough to lower the bridge,don't get the E strings too low as they could loose a bit of clarity.They're pretty easy to press down anyway,so a tad higher might help if they sound a bit flat. The advice from Willie about trying different picks is good advice as well.The thickness,shape & material will influence the tone you get. Usually, thinner,more pointy picks will sound brighter,whereas thicker picks with a more rounded point will sound more full,but can also sound a bit dull (in my opinion).So,anywhere in between,you might find your 'perfect pick' - let us know if you do,you'll be the first ever !! :grin: Where are you in England ?.There are quite a few of us 'invaders' on here,
Ivan;)

lunamoth
Nov-11-2013, 6:23am
Oh Im glad there are Ivan, I'm in Chertsey, Surrey.

Thanks for the string info, I have just ordered the J62s and some light Martins off Ebay. I see you are a banjo player, I'm also leaning towards that and am watching a couple on Ebay, may pick your brain. One is an open back Ozark

lunamoth
Nov-11-2013, 3:58pm
Don't laff Ivan,(or anybody) hav just made an impulse buy on Ebay UK, an old banjo mando from Birmingham G something Bro
Will be a project, but only 40 quid:sleepy::disbelief:

Jim
Nov-11-2013, 4:21pm
Have fun with that mandolin banjo. I have often played a friends and it's lots of fun

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-12-2013, 4:14am
Hi lunamoth - I don't laugh at anybody but myself,there's always far more to laught at that way !. Back to your original question,you seem to have chosen the right path to begin with going withte J62's to start with.As you get more into your playing,if you feel that your wrist is gaining strength,then you might want to go up to the J74 gauge of strings - but there's no rush - get that wrist right first,& enjoy your banjo as well,
Ivan

Ray(T)
Nov-12-2013, 9:52am
As someone once called the mandolin-banjo - "The instrument of the devil" - best of luck if you can actually make the thing work!

You mentioned the Allen key but nobody has told you what it's for. It's for adjusting "neck relief". Mandolin/guitar/banjo or whatever necks aren't straight; they should have a slight forward bow. Buy one with light strings on, replace them with heavy and you'll likely need to tighten the truss rod in the neck, using the allen key, to return the bend, or relief, in the neck to what it was originally. This is not however something I'd recommend you do yourself. Leave it to someone who knows what they're doing. There's no embarrassment in this, I've been playing guitar and mandolin for nigh on 50 years and never adjusted one myself. Many older instruments didn't have adjustable rods; e.g. Martin guitars before circa 1980 and probably your new devil instrument.

Ray (from up-north but not quite as far as Ivan)

lunamoth
Nov-12-2013, 10:04am
Thanx Ray, no I did not realise! I began to think it was to take the tail piece off to remove the strings! Too busy practicing scales to get a grip with the practicalities
Can't wait for my little devil to arrive now, sounds like a challenge.
I'm from oop north originally,Stockport, but moved darn saarf when very young:)

Ray(T)
Nov-13-2013, 10:59am
Ah .... Another Stopfordian, I'm also from Stockport. Born at Stepping Hill Hospital, lived in Hazel Grove for most of my life before moving south. Small world .... perhaps we've already met?

lunamoth
Nov-13-2013, 3:21pm
Ah .... Another Stopfordian, I'm also from Stockport. Born at Stepping Hill Hospital, lived in Hazel Grove for most of my life before moving south. Small world .... perhaps we've already met?

Haha!

Born at Stepping Hill also!but Hazel Grove, if I remember rightly is a bit posher than Furness Grove where my old family home was.
I remember looking out of the bedroom window and watching the freight trains EEk think where I got my love of rhythm etc etc
That's 1955 I was born pls don't tell hehe!

Ray(T)
Nov-13-2013, 5:29pm
I know Furness Grove but I'm not prepaid to say why on a public forum. You must have looked out over the old Tiviot Dale line before it was ripped up. ..... and I was born in 1951!

Just to retain some mandolin content, when you get chance, you should head down the M23 and pay Trevor a visit at TAMCO.

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-14-2013, 3:48am
lunamoth - You have the contact that i gave you in the PM i sent. If you need anything adjusting on your mandolin that you wouldn't be comfortable doing yourself,contact him.He's a fellow Cafe member & a very good amateur luthier who's built a few mandolins himself,
Ivan

lunamoth
Nov-14-2013, 3:15pm
I know Furness Grove but I'm not prepaid to say why on a public forum. You must have looked out over the old Tiviot Dale line before it was ripped up. ..... and I was born in 1951!

Just to retain some mandolin content, when you get chance, you should head down the M23 and pay Trevor a visit at TAMCO.

Will pm u about the other stuff haha
Do they have a website?