PDA

View Full Version : Ad style

John L
Nov-10-2013, 10:33am
Whats with the people that post ads without punctuation...SOMETIME ALL IN CAPS FOR SOME INEXPLICABLE REASON... or sentences that are separated by ... I find these ads really difficult to read... OR IS IT JUST ME (INTENTIONAL YELLING):crying:

bmac
Nov-10-2013, 10:59am
it's just you!!!

JEStanek
Nov-10-2013, 11:05am
I know someone who does this... it's just easier for him to read that way.

Jamie

peterk
Nov-10-2013, 1:12pm
True enough, those for-sale ads are often not representative of the art of belles lettres, nor grammatical writing.
Perhaps they do not need to be that either. The advertisement objective is to sell the merchandise in question, and not necessarily to impress with the seller's erudition.
It is other things in the ad that count more, such as completeness and accuracy of item description, absence of clichéd non-sense such as "the mandolin looks great for being 100 years old", or implausible assertions such as "it has a wonderful sound", while the subject instrument might lack several strings, the bridge etc. Furthermore, the ad wording as well as the style should inspire trust, and not irritate or appear silly or overly clever.
That's the way I see the matter of ad writing.:mandosmiley:

SGraham
Nov-10-2013, 2:58pm
Whats with the people that post ads without punctuation...SOMETIME ALL IN CAPS FOR SOME INEXPLICABLE REASON... or sentences that are separated by ... I find these ads really difficult to read... OR IS IT JUST ME

You forgot an apostrophe and a question mark.

John L
Nov-10-2013, 9:35pm
you forgot an apostrophe and a question mark.

exactly...