PDA

View Full Version : Need identification and valuation please!

Lilhalb
Nov-10-2013, 4:22am
Hi everyone!

I came across this Mandolin in a deceased estate and would like to find it a new home. Unfortunately I don't know anything about it!

It has 4 missing strings.

Can anyone offer any insight about it, or what it may be worth? Any comments are greatly appreciated :)

Cheers!

allenhopkins
Nov-10-2013, 3:38pm
From the slotted headstock and the marquetry on the pickguard, I'd surmise European origin, quite possibly German. Not a particularly expensive instrument, but it seems structurally sound, from what my aging eyes can glean from the photos.

I'd say maybe a couple hundred US dollars, depending on a closer inspection and evaluation.

brunello97
Nov-10-2013, 5:32pm
I'd put a +1 on Allen's attribution and a .5 on his valuation. If this sells for anywhere near $200 it is happy dance time.

Mick

Bill Snyder
Nov-10-2013, 5:55pm
I was thinking $75.00 if you are in the USA.

brunello97
Nov-10-2013, 6:23pm
I was thinking $75.00 if you are in the USA.

Indeed. $75 would make for a happy two-step, Bill. ;)

Mick

Martin Jonas
Nov-10-2013, 7:03pm
Indeed: German, fairly low grade, looks structurally sound but badly neglected. I'd guess 1930s. Might make for a reasonable player with a bit of loving care and attention and Paul Hostetter's patented tuner reconditioning program, but it won't break the $100 mark.

Martin

allenhopkins
Nov-10-2013, 9:12pm
Hey, I'm just a spendthrift...

MikeEdgerton
Nov-10-2013, 9:34pm
I think if you get one hundred USD for this you should do a happy dance. I'm not sure it would get to seventy-five.

peterk
Nov-11-2013, 9:50am
I'd say $50-70 if the neck is reasonably straight. If not, and you disclose that fact, then much less than that.
Some major potential customers for that kind of a mandolin are a few restorers/resellers in Taiwan, Vietnam and China.
However, if you happen to sell to them, there will likely be expectations that you subsidize partly the real shipping cost to Asia, which would further decrease your net take from such sale.

Lilhalb
Nov-11-2013, 5:40pm
Thank you so much for your comments Allen - and so much info from just a few measly photos! So very much appreciated :)

Lilhalb
Nov-11-2013, 5:41pm
I'd put a +1 on Allen's attribution and a .5 on his valuation. If this sells for anywhere near $200 it is happy dance time.

Mick

Thanks Mick! A happy dance would indeed be necessary if I got around $200 for it!

Lilhalb
Nov-11-2013, 5:46pm
Indeed: German, fairly low grade, looks structurally sound but badly neglected. I'd guess 1930s. Might make for a reasonable player with a bit of loving care and attention and Paul Hostetter's patented tuner reconditioning program, but it won't break the $100 mark.

Martin

Thanks Martin! Yes, 1930's sounds like it could be right. I think it belonged to my great grandmother back then, but has been sitting in a cupboard for the past 50 years, hence "badly neglected"!!

Lilhalb
Nov-11-2013, 5:49pm
I think if you get one hundred USD for this you should do a happy dance. I'm not sure it would get to seventy-five.

Thanks Mike, much appreciated. I would indeed even do a happy dance at $100, considering I did post an online ad selling it for $40 and got many replies, which made me suspicious as to the value, hence the research.

Thank you :)

Lilhalb
Nov-11-2013, 5:52pm
I'd say $50-70 if the neck is reasonably straight. If not, and you disclose that fact, then much less than that.
Some major potential customers for that kind of a mandolin are a few restorers/resellers in Taiwan, Vietnam and China.
However, if you happen to sell to them, there will likely be expectations that you subsidize partly the real shipping cost to Asia, which would further decrease your net take from such sale.

Thanks Peter! Asia huh. I'm not really keen on packaging it all for a safe trip abroad, plus you're right, shipping costs - I hate to think! Thanks for your comments :)

Lilhalb
Nov-11-2013, 5:53pm
From the slotted headstock and the marquetry on the pickguard, I'd surmise European origin, quite possibly German. Not a particularly expensive instrument, but it seems structurally sound, from what my aging eyes can glean from the photos.

I'd say maybe a couple hundred US dollars, depending on a closer inspection and evaluation.

Thank you so much for your comments Allen - and so much info from just a few measly photos! So very much appreciated :)

Jim Garber
Nov-11-2013, 8:11pm
Nah, I doubt the Asian reseller/refurbers would be interested in this one. Condition is fair to begin with. Take the $40 and run with it. It might be a nice project for someone wanting to fix it up and put a bunch of time into it who could not afford a better instrument.

brunello97
Nov-11-2013, 9:05pm
Take the $40 and run with it....

Sage advice from Sig. Garberini. $40 = 4 x 6 x Eliot Ness (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/73/229).

Enough said.

Mick