PDA

View Full Version : Paddy on the Turnpike

craig
Feb-21-2005, 1:37pm
whewwwww!

i was beginning to think this project was over. #there's a new upload on the mainpage for POTT. #check it out! #"latentaudio" does a great job with this; accompaniment and all. #latent, i like the country twang guitar in the background. #you have a nice even tempo and drive. #where did you get your version of the tune? #the only other version i know is one that sam bush does on a teaching video. #it's a lot different.

thanks for keeping this thing going! #hopefully that will spark a fire for some more uploads from the rest of the clan.

happy pickin'

craig

latentaudio
Feb-21-2005, 4:53pm
The version is kind of a hybrid between two TEF files I found somewhere on the web (not sure where). Unfortunately, I've only heard this song by listening to MIDI files and couldn't get a good feel for what the melody should be like. I was hoping to get some inspiration from other posts before I did my version. However, I needed to throw this together quickly because I'm out of town for a few weeks.

To me the mando part on my MP3 is a little too stiff (and too loud). Hopefully someone else can show me how it is supposed to be done!

The twang guitar is a combo of a Telecaster and a cheap Baritone.

Martin Jonas
Feb-21-2005, 5:05pm
I've only just dug out a version that I like, and (more importantly) that I can play. I'm trying to get it up to speed, but it'll be the weekend before I can get a recording done, I think. This one is in the key of G-dorian and as a result sounds not very Monroesque. See here (http://jc.tzo.net/~jc/cgi/abc/TuneGet?F=GIF&U=/~jc/music/abc/Contra/KC/reel/PaddyOnTheTurnpikeR.abc&X=1&T=PADDYONTHETURNPIKE&N=PaddyOnTheTurnpike.gif) for standard notation and (somewhat strange) MIDI.

Martin

David Miller
Feb-22-2005, 9:04pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif
I have been away from the project for a few months... glad to see it is all still up and running. I am hoping to have a recording of Paddy up tomorrow... it is not a tune I knew before, but I am always a sucker for some Mixolydian....

I also have a couple jazz things I may throw towards the random musings area - a Metheny tune that is a real joy to play on mando, and a latin tune by Chick Corea....

Feels good to be back!

picksnbits
Feb-23-2005, 8:52am
I've posted mine to yahoo. It's not quite up to Monroe's speed, but it's as good as I'm gonna get it any time soon. The MP3 is acting flaky when I try to play it with MusicMatch here at work, but it works in Windows Media Player and in MusicMatch at home, so I don't know what's going on.

Please let me know if anyone has trouble getting it to play after downloading.

fiddlegit
Feb-23-2005, 11:16am
I really enjoyed that picksnbits, up till now I haven't been inspired to bother learning this tune, but you may have changed my mind. Although recently I havent been in the right frame of mind for learning anything new. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif I've been too busy trying to improve the tunes I already know.

craig
Feb-23-2005, 1:30pm
my recording of POTT is up (drchenson)--the first in a LONG time! it's loosely based on the sam bush version, so it's a bit different than the other two.

picksnbits, thanks for your upload! sounds like you and latentaudio learned from a similar rendition/interpretation. you mentioned yours is based on a monroe version? where can i find that? i like it!

happy pickin' all

craig

picksnbits
Feb-23-2005, 2:05pm
Thanks guys, I came up with mine by listening to a Monroe & Watson recording I downloaded from bluegrassbox.com. The .txt description file is here doc+bill1969-06-21.txt (http://http://www.bluegrassbox.com/txtfiles/doc+bill1969-06-21.txt)

I intended to pick it out note for note, but I don't quite have the ear for that yet (might be lacking in a couple of other areas as well ). I hope it's at least recognizable as being the same tune.

I guess I better go listen to the other's while I get back to work.

Nora
Feb-23-2005, 3:04pm
I have mis placed(?) the thread for the Yahoo site for this. Can someone please post it again for me. When I went there before, the page was having trouble. Also, what do yall use to record and then how do you get it to upload. If this is too many questions (I'm a computer dummy.) just the yahoo site will be fine.

Thanks,

Nora

picksnbits
Feb-23-2005, 3:38pm
MandolinProject (http://www.mandolinproject.150m.com/) is the main page.

It has a link to the yahoo (http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/mandolinproject/) site. When you get there you'll notice a message saying uploads don't work and an email address to send it to instead.

For me uploads work from the office (high bandwidth), but don't work from the dial-up connection at home.

I record with audacity, there's a link for it on the main project page as well.

fiddlegit
Feb-23-2005, 5:05pm
craig, I love your version, nice relaxed laid back tempo but with loads of feeling. Nice job.

mandocentric
Feb-24-2005, 9:18am
Craig (drchenson), do you have the music or tab for your version of POTT. I am kind of new to this area of the board and would love to work on this Song with you folks.

Thx a lot

craig
Feb-24-2005, 11:47am
mandocentric,

welcome aboard!

the version i used came from an insert with the sam bush video but it looks like the same "monroe"-version available at mandozine.com: Paddy (http://www.mandozine.com/music/tabledit_files/PaddyOnTheTurnpike-G-Monroe.tef). they list it as "intermediate" in difficulty, but it's really not too difficult, especially at my tempo. there are several versions available there if you don't like that one. i think the main difference in my version is the syncopation, really. i got that from sam.

hope that helps. look forward to hearing your interpretation of the tune.

craig

dgillespie
Feb-24-2005, 8:14pm
I'm usually a cafe lurker but it seems like this song didn't catch on too well this month so I threw another up with the other three...maybe everyone just has Wintergrass fever.

Dustin

fiddlegit
Feb-25-2005, 7:13am
Very nicely done Dustin, I would have liked to have heared you go through it another time with a few variations. The old "leave 'em wanting more" adage at work ay. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mandocentric
Feb-25-2005, 8:25am
Craig, thanks for the info. I have seen a snip it of that Sam Bush Video on Homespuns's website. I look forward to giving it a try. I will post my attempt ASAP.

Thanks, Scott

craig
Feb-25-2005, 9:38am
dustin,

thanks for adding fuel to the fire! really enjoy your ability to improvise without missing a beat. i second fiddlegit, "WE WANT MORE, WE WANT MORE, WE WANT MORE . . ."

craig

picksnbits
Feb-25-2005, 9:38am
Mark & Craig - nice job. You guys both pick it clean with good tone, something I definitely need to work on.

Craig, good example that music can be "driven" without being slapped out at blazin speed.

I liked your's alot Dustin. Kinda seems to invite the next guy in the circle to jump in and kick off a version.

picksnbits
Feb-25-2005, 9:42am
I meant that last comment to be a good thing by the way. After I read it I'm not sure it sounded that way.

dgillespie
Feb-25-2005, 7:40pm
Thanks for the nice compliments. Next time I'll run through it at least a couple times with some variations. Paddy On the Turnpike is a fun one to play around with.

Dustin

Bluegrasstjej
Mar-23-2005, 12:19pm
Craig, I just listened to your recording of Paddy on the turnpike (even if it took 24 minutes to download!!). It's wonderful!! Very nice to listen to, not too fast, not too (I think some musicians "spice up" the tunes too much) fancy, just fine. I never understood that tune when I listened to the version I have so I never tried to learn it.

craig
Mar-24-2005, 9:51am
susanne,

thanks for the compliments! i didn't used like the song until i started playing it and getting the rhythm. it is a lot of fun to play and not too hard to learn. definitely worth the effort. it's a fun one to play with another mando-picker, too.

collings470,

i'll get yours up on the MP mainpage tonight. i have downloaded it from the yahoo site, but the server was down, so i couldn't put it up last night. i did have a listen to it, though. it sounds great. very smooth! you have a few different notes than the version i play. i'll have to incorporate so of them in mine just to mix it up a bit.

cheers,

craig

David Miller
Mar-24-2005, 9:06pm
Well, better late than never!
I finally got a few minutes to get POTT recorded and posted. Thanks for the comments, Craig, and by the way, thank you as well for all the hard work you put into this site! Being from CT there are not really a ton of mandoists nearby to play with and this project gives me a great opportunity to learn some great tunes, and to learn from all of you out there in the community!

Keep up the great work!

P.S. - maybe I will actually get Blackberry in before the month is over!

sbarnes
Mar-28-2005, 10:52pm
finally got my version of paddy on the turnpike sent to craig - assume it will be posted shortly....
had a terrible time w/this one, that's why it's so late....could play it perfectly but as soon as that red recording light came on (red light fever) .......never did get it perfect but it is what it is......
now on to blackberry blossum