PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Gaudreau on Turkey In The Straw

AlanN
Nov-08-2013, 10:10am
Was going through the stack and came across a live show from a California club date, 1972. Was JAG, Keith Whitley, Pat Cloud and a bass player. Pat Cloud picks Turkey In The Straw, fast and melodic. When Jimmy comes in for his break, he just burns it - perfectly executed, with drive, speed and precision. And then does a perfect harmony line to Pat's last solo.

Jimmy was (is) the man!

Russ Jordan
Nov-08-2013, 10:15am
Hey Alan
Can you rip and post?

I guess this was a version of Country Store band?

AlanN
Nov-08-2013, 11:17am
Was KW in The Country Store?

Looking for this show online came up with Mandozine's CGOW, a series of interviews done with many mandolin pickers where they talked about their influences, styles, instruments, etc. Very interesting reading!

Russ Jordan
Nov-08-2013, 11:22am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fShidUZjsxA

AlanN
Nov-08-2013, 11:24am
Dang, and I have that record!

Willie Poole
Nov-09-2013, 12:13pm
Alan, I remember when Jimmy first came with The Gents, I didn`t think he was a very good fit at all but I was so used to Duffey`s mandolin playing that Jimmy`s just din`t fit but as time went by I realized how great he really was/is, he`s a good`un for sure...Who ever thought a person from way up north would make a good bluegrasser?

Willie

mandolirius
Nov-09-2013, 1:03pm
Alan, I remember when Jimmy first came with The Gents, I didn`t think he was a very good fit at all but I was so used to Duffey`s mandolin playing that Jimmy`s just din`t fit but as time went by I realized how great he really was/is, he`s a good`un for sure...Who ever thought a person from way up north would make a good bluegrasser?

Willie

No one could really "replace" Duffy. He was one of a kind (in many ways).

AlanN
Nov-09-2013, 3:02pm
Jimmy has said that very same thing, many times.

The thing about JAG was, he was young, sang tenor, and he could pick the fire out of the thing. And he was in the right place at the right time. There surely was not the pool of mandolin pickers then as now.

And here's Turkey... Moderators, if this is a no-no, I'll remove.

Jordan Ramsey
Nov-11-2013, 3:30pm
Hey Alan, thanks for the recording. Here's Jimmy's first break...

grassrootphilosopher
Nov-11-2013, 5:23pm
Jimmy has said that very same thing, many times.

The thing about JAG was, he was young, sang tenor, and he could pick the fire out of the thing. And he was in the right place at the right time. There surely was not the pool of mandolin pickers then as now.

And here's Turkey... Moderators, if this is a no-no, I'll remove.

Very nice and thank you.

JAG is a great picker that anybody could learn something from. Iīve got fond memories about a Swiss mando workshop where I learned a lot (a Monteleone whiteface A-5 was present...).

Itīs a treat that you mention Pat Cloud. Now thatīs a banjo player that really is worth listening to. Iīve met him just once but it has left a lasting impression on me. Interestingly enough he is so much under the radar. Heīs not so much your everyday Scruggs picker but I believe thereīs hardly any place on the fretboard he doesnīt know. When I saw him he played totally conservative bluegrass (Ruby [Osborne Bros. stuff etc.] ...) in a totally spaced out bebop-singlestring-cromatic-melodic way. That was a real treat. On mando was Bob Applebaum who was very impressive also.

AlanN
Nov-12-2013, 1:30pm
A Monty whiteface, now that is rare. Do you know if JM painted it white, or did someone else?

And Bob A, there's a name you don't hear, he of course the mandeau man on Bela Fleck's first Rounder LP Crossing The Tracks, 1979 or 80. Great lines, grooves, drive to Bob's unique playing. Btw, if anyone has the music for the title track, I'd be much obliged. Think it's in A chord.

grassrootphilosopher
Nov-13-2013, 7:26am
The whiteface Monteleone was pretty new. From what I remember (workshop was in November 1999 at the Salzhaus in Brugg, Swizerland) it sounded green (somewhat shrill to my ear at that time). JAG danced around it and hrrmed and haaawwed some and was generally interested. The owner is/was a guy who posted here yet to my knowledge has not in some years. He has (had) some nice boxes over the years (Apitius F-5, Dudenbostel A-5, Kimble [early blacktop A-5]...). It was (can you say that) very white. I wondered at that time why someone would like an A-3 appearance on an A-5 mandolin, but hey what do I know. So I guess it was a new all original whiteface Monte. I havenīt played the instrument in- or outside the workshop nor have I spoken to the owner about it (donīt like to bug people that I have not been properly introduced to about their instruments). I just noticed the headstock which I paid some attention to because of the unique features of the instrument all the while overhearing the short conversation between the owner and JAG about the instrument (JAG: "...is this what I think it is...").

One other noticable thing about the workshop was the lady who inquired about how to play the four finger G chop chord. JAG told her to strech her fingers. She said she couldnīt it. Geaudreau walked over to her and she showed him her effort to play the chop G chord. She had fingers so short that it was indeed impossible for her to play the G chord. JAG said that in this case he couldnīt help her.

Bob Applebaum was a treat. I saw him in 1991 at a Lake Havasu (Az) festival. What a musician. Pat Cloud too.

Does Crossing the tracks have "Spain" on it?

(Alan, did you PM me?)

AlanN
Nov-13-2013, 8:03am
Thanks for the recollections, Olaf. Yes, Spain was on that, great record.

And check your PM.