PDA

View Full Version : Open Gibson mandos

HoGo
Feb-21-2005, 8:20am
Hi folks, I'm looking for some pics of open old Gibsons. Would you mind sharing any pics of old Gibsons with backs or fingerboards off? Neck joints, bracing etc....
They could make a new section in the mandolin archive, too.
Thanks,
Adrian

Jim Hilburn
Feb-21-2005, 10:51am
There's a good shot of Bill Monroe's while it was apart in his biography showing the tonebars and all.

HoGo
Feb-22-2005, 7:59am
Thankks Jim, I know about that pic but I haven't seen the book and there's little chance I can see it here in Europe.
Does the ook have an ISBN, maybe I can get it through interlibrary loan. I heard there are some open pics of Gibsons in the F5 Journal, I'm going to buy the new one if get the chance.
I was wondering, especially, where does the treble side rib end on the headblock.

Darryl Wolfe
Feb-22-2005, 8:36am
where does the treble side rib end on the headblock

It is seamed with the other side at the top/center, then the dovetail slot cut

Jim Hilburn
Feb-22-2005, 9:26am
Here's that photo.

Darryl Wolfe
Feb-22-2005, 10:21am
I have some that I need to scan...will post. They reveal alot about the building techniques of the period...for example, the outside profile is "shaped" or "spindle sanded" because the rims vary in thickness to achieve the profile..especially at the upper end

HoGo
Feb-23-2005, 4:52am
Thanks Jim and Darryl!
I was wondering besause I was trying to redraw the neck joint area in my plans in the exact Loar style and found out that the assymetry (sometimes more pronounced) could be a result of the treble rib ending at the joint or just at the bass side of the neck. It was almost impossible to get the same appearance with rib continuing into the scroll.

"It is seamed with the other side at the top/center, then the dovetail slot cut "
-Darryl, does this apply also to F styles?
BTW, when will be the new F5 journal finished?

Darryl Wolfe
Feb-23-2005, 10:34am
This (Dudenbostel) is how Gibson did it. #The only difference is that the dovetail is located towards the bass side on the Loars (and is much smaller). #Most Loars that I have seen with the top or back off show evidence of the sides being final shaped AFTER the neck is installed....so there is a little ledge of thicker rim under the neck itself....i.e. the sides are a shade thinner where you can see them