PDA

View Full Version : Identify

canyon
Nov-05-2013, 12:58am
A star on the headstock and no name or numbers

Ron McMillan
Nov-05-2013, 2:00am
Are you seriously looking for help, when two of the three things you tell us point out details that are NOT there?

How about:

* a few photographs
* A or F style?
* round hole or f-scroll holes
* flat or carved top
* flat or carved or multi-panelled bowlback

MikeEdgerton
Nov-05-2013, 8:57am
Stars were very popular headstock ornamentation. You can still buy precut star inlays. You need some pictures.

JEStanek
Nov-05-2013, 10:03am
Lone Star (http://www.folkmusician.com/ShowAdditionalImg.asp?number=VENICE)? From Mexico had Lone Star on them as well. Photos would be a help.My ouija board does well with words not photos.

Jamie

Welcome to the Cafe.

EdHanrahan
Nov-05-2013, 10:07am
A star on the headstock ...

Ya mean maybe like... Elvis?? If it's Enrico Caruso, that puts it in a whole different age bracket.

Jim Garber
Nov-05-2013, 11:42pm
Maybe it is a riddle.... A star on the headstock and no name or numbers... a man with three faces yet no nostrils...

could be a Vega, then again, it could also not be a Vega. What is the sound of one mandolin clapping?

BantamFrank
Nov-06-2013, 11:08am
Hi,

First time posting on the cafe, I apologize in advance for not starting a thread. I could not figure out how.

I found this mandolin in an antique shop on the streets of Saigon, if anyone can help me identify it I would greatly appreciate it. It appears to have a Galas body type with the double top, but that's all I could find. The headstock doesn't seem to match any others I have seen with this body style.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help, pictures below.

Frank

BantamFrank
Nov-06-2013, 11:10am
You can see the top better in this picture. Also, I put new strings on it, fixed the intonation, and it sounds great!

Thanks!

Jim Garber
Nov-06-2013, 11:46am
At the top of each section is a big button that says "+Post New Thread".

Most Gelas style mandolins have a more radical slant to the lower top IIRC. And the bridge is unique on a real Gelas. Yours also has a strange nut. Possibly this was made by a Vietnamese maker copying from either a real Gelas or, more likely some photos of one.