PDA

View Full Version : Ditson Mandolinette

MANDOLINMYSTER
Feb-20-2005, 8:37pm
I had posted a pic of this some time ago, but with Darryl's recent post I thought this might be interesting to some.

MANDOLINMYSTER
Feb-20-2005, 8:40pm
Heres one of the back, very nice Birds eye maple. The picture do this thing no justice.

MANDOLINMYSTER
Feb-20-2005, 8:43pm
Heres the head stock, very Vega like.

Scotti Adams
Feb-20-2005, 8:48pm
...sexy

Eugene
Feb-20-2005, 9:15pm
This is one of the coolest mandolinettos I've seen. You are to be envied, Michael.

MANDOLINMYSTER
Feb-20-2005, 9:27pm
Heres a close up of the rosette.

MANDOLINMYSTER
Feb-20-2005, 9:29pm
..and the binding, it looks like rosewood with several layers of light/dark wood

krishna
Feb-20-2005, 10:06pm
Mike, what is the thread you were talking about? And could you give us some more info on this mando? Scale length,arch or no,what year,how much ,is it for sale? I actually went without food for to buy a 1897 Howe and Orme guitar shaped mando. It was an amazing arch top,brazilian rosewood back and sides,tortice shell pickgaurd inlaid with ivory...It was cool,but way too fragile. I sold it to finance a move halfway across Canada....Kerry

MANDOLINMYSTER
Feb-20-2005, 10:14pm
Terry, Heres the specs. 13 inch scale, flat top, slightly bowed back. and the sides or depth of instrument tapers down
toward the tail/lower bout.I would guess it to be from the teens?? Its not for sale but I got lucky on this one, paid $165.00.( I love saying that because I usually spend to much). The other thread is under post a pic, titled Home Orme theres some great photos there. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Bob DeVellis
Feb-21-2005, 10:36am
Michael -- Definitely a beauty. Vega is certainly a possibility for a builder. What does the label look like?

MANDOLINMYSTER
Feb-21-2005, 11:49am
Bob, I'll post a pic of it tonite

Eugene
Feb-21-2005, 12:11pm
Michael -- Definitely a beauty. #Vega is certainly a possibility for a builder...
I think the head and evidently crisp execution of the binding looks particularly Vega-like.

Gibsonman
Feb-21-2005, 2:34pm
I am sure the pictures don,t do it justice. VERY VERY NICE.

MANDOLINMYSTER
Feb-21-2005, 9:41pm
here is the label, gold colored paper

Darryl Wolfe
Feb-22-2005, 8:38am
Very cool

Bob DeVellis
Feb-22-2005, 9:37am
"Made Expressly For..." that's what I like, honesty in labeling.

mandolooter
Feb-22-2005, 4:29pm
Awesome instrument!!! I just recieved the newest addition to my mando "family" the Howe Orme "ukelele" from Ebay. Wow, way better shape than I'd guessed from the pic's and the seller was one of the most pleasent and concerned folks I've ever dealt with. He called me to see how I would like it packed, shipped, etc. to ensure its safe arrival. Another happy camper after the long wait...Ebay is like the lotto or something, ya never know how ya done till the thing arrives. What may look like a deal could turn out to be a nightmare and vice-versa. Judging from the price you payed you won big-time! Thats a better backside than some super models have, but I do prefer a little more meat on the bones I'll admit...:)

krishna
Mar-07-2005, 12:09am
Myster,thanks for the tip.I ended up finding pics of my Howe Orme in a museum that posted on the other thread! Is that cool or what?...Kerry