PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin maker identification.

Lindaz
Oct-31-2013, 3:58pm
I purchased this instrument at an estate sale. There are no markings of any kind inside or out, no brand name or model number etc. Any help would be appreciated.
I took it to a guitar shop and they had never seen this type before.
Kind regards, LZ

OldSausage
Oct-31-2013, 4:06pm
Not sure, but I think it may be one of a pear.

billhay4
Oct-31-2013, 4:34pm
Framus?
Cool instrument.
Bill

MikeEdgerton
Nov-01-2013, 9:10am
Probably a Framus from Germany but there was one other German maker that I cannot recall that made mandolins with that style f hole. Here's (http://www.framus-vintage.de/modules/site/site.php) an old Framus catalog page. Your appears to be a mixture of the styles they made. They aren't particularly sought after.

GarY Nava
Nov-01-2013, 11:18am
Could also be a Hofner
http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/gallery/bluegrass/mandolin5.html

Cheers Gary

billhay4
Nov-01-2013, 12:10pm
Ah!
Bill

Lindaz
Nov-01-2013, 1:06pm
Thank you. So, it would be best to just use it as a wall decoration then spend any money getting it fixed?

Linda

Lindaz
Nov-01-2013, 1:25pm
Gary,
The only difference between the Hofner picture you sent and mine are the fret markers. Do you think it is worth getting it playable. The guitar shop said there was a slight tilt of the neck towards the sound box, but he could get it playable by adjusting the string slots on the bridge and leaving the neck as is. I would like to get the neck fixed; but seeing as this is my first mandolin, I am not sure what to do. Would like to be playing it now.

Kind regards,

Linda

MikeEdgerton
Nov-01-2013, 1:36pm
Yup, Hofner was the other maker. I couldn't remember that name this morning. I'll chalk it up to old age.

billhay4
Nov-01-2013, 1:38pm
The neck bend is an issue, I think. I'd decide whether to fix it or not based on the sound now. I wouldn't leave it under tension too long though, just long enough to make a decision whether the sound justifies the fix. Nice looking instrument and I'd want to fix it if it were mine.
Bill

Lindaz
Nov-02-2013, 7:36am
Bill,
Thank you for the input. Can you recommend someone that does this kind of repair. I live in Florida.

Have a wonderful weekend,
Linda

GarY Nava
Nov-02-2013, 10:02am
Out of interest there is a Hofner mandolin played by Dave Grisman on the Tone Poems II CD.
I have a soft spot for Hofners; my first electric guitar in the 70s was one.
Cheers Gary

bmac
Nov-02-2013, 11:27am
Linda:
You haven't said what you believe is the problem with the mandolin.... Is the top sinking??? It appears in the photo to have a non-adjustable bridge on it. A luthier could replace it with an adjustable bridge, or a non-adjustable bridge of the proper hight, if that is the problem. Any mando of this age may need adjustment but that is normal. So unless there is some structural issue I wouldn't assume it should be relegated to "wall hanger" status.

If it were mine I would explore fixing it, or having it fixed. From what we can see in the photos it doesn't look bad but a luthier could tell you for sure and estimate the repair or re-adjustment cost.

Replacing a bridge is not out of the range of most peoples capabilities... They have to be individually fitted to the mandolin and sanded to proper shape on the bridge bottom.... But that is not difficult to do. Check out frets.com on mandolin bridge fitting. there are other sites too if you google "mandolin bridge fitting"..
_____

I just re-read your thread and realized you think the neck is bent.... Maybe,,, but it might be sinking top because the bridge doesn't raise the strings to playing hight. (Normally a bent neck will raise the strings way above the fret board) In either case it may be worth having it repaired.

I sure would repair it if the cost were reasonable. and really unless it is brought up to playability you will never know if it is a decent sounding instrument.

billhay4
Nov-02-2013, 11:49am
Florida is not a hotbed of lutherie. You can do a search in the Care Builder list. I might consider contacting Jake Wildwood (http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com/) at Antebellum Instruments. He's in VT but does a lot of work on old instruments like this.
Bill