PDA

View Full Version : New Chuck Sanzone A model

SanzoneGuitar&Mandolin
Oct-30-2013, 12:22pm
I just finished this mando, thought you guys might appreciate it. Carved Euro top with the Blackwood flat back is a nice combo, like a Sobell with more definition. Always interested in opinions & feedback. Hoping to build two more in BrzRW this year. More pics & words at www.sanzoneguitars.blogspot.com
thanks for looking,
Chuck

billhay4
Oct-30-2013, 1:36pm
That is some flat out beautiful wood you found for that one. I'd like to hear this to see how the wood combination works.
Excellent workmanship, too.
Bill

SanzoneGuitar&Mandolin
Oct-30-2013, 3:16pm
Thanks Bill! It was actually a guitar sized set that I sacrificed. Man, it is sounding better and better. I am going to get some sound clips done and post them so you can hear how the blackwood colors the tone.
best,
Chuck

Peter Mix
Oct-30-2013, 4:07pm
Thanks Bill! It was actually a guitar sized set that I sacrificed. Man, it is sounding better and better. I am going to get some sound clips done and post them so you can hear how the blackwood colors the tone.
best,
Chuck

Lucky me! My day ends early tomorrow, so I'll stop at Chuck's shop on my way home and take the little nipper out for a spin. Chuck's work is so great! I can hardly wait.....

Charles E.
Oct-30-2013, 5:15pm
Chuck, that looks really nice, I like the sound holes and the bridge quite a bit. How was that Blackwood to bend for the sides?

SanzoneGuitar&Mandolin
Oct-30-2013, 5:55pm
Hi Charley,
Blackwood is actually very easy to bend, due to the high pitch content. Once is gets up to temp and the black sap starts bubbling, it turns to rubber and then freezes solid on cooling. Can be unstable when flatsawn so it's really worth paying a little extra for the best quartersawn wood. Since it is so dense, it can also be brittle if handled carelessly. LMI or allied Lutherie are vendors that usually have a good supply.

Also, thanks for the comments on the bridge & f-holes. I pay a great deal of attention to these two details, and they are all knife cut. Working in the violin world is an excellent way to learn about edge tools and older methods. Red Henry pioneered the one-piece bridge, and it can provide an amazing boost of volume and tone quality.
best,
Chuck

Jake Wildwood
Oct-31-2013, 9:40am
Love it!

SanzoneGuitar&Mandolin
Nov-01-2013, 10:57am
Thanks all for checking out this new mandolin, there is a sound clip on youtube at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4T_KjiPcg0&feature=youtu.be

And thanks to Peter Mix for some nice playing. It's the best to just sit back and listen to
a new instrument.
Chuck

Peter Mix
Nov-01-2013, 11:13am
Thanks all for checking out this new mandolin, there is a sound clip on youtube at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4T_KjiPcg0&feature=youtu.be

And thanks to Peter Mix for some nice playing. It's the best to just sit back and listen to
a new instrument.
Chuck

Thank you, Chuck, for letting me take the new blackwood A5 for a spin! What a brilliant instrument! The workmanship is spectacular, it plays like a dream and it sounds marvelous!

The blackwood is absolutely gorgeous and features birdseye in the center of the back.
The overlay on the headstock is beyond description!

Congratulations to the new owner!

billhay4
Nov-01-2013, 12:13pm
Beautiful sound. Bravo all the way around.
Bill

j. condino
Nov-05-2013, 11:36am
Nice work Chuck! I built several African blackwood mandolins about ten years ago. Be careful: I developed a sensitivity to it and cannot use it for anything now. About five seconds after I make the first cut with a saw, my entire sinuses get blown out for a day or two; the same thing happened with another builder I know....:(

You should not have to sacrifice an entire guitar set. Coremark international, just over the hill in Weaverville, North Carolina usually has a lot of it in small board form that is very reasonably priced. Miles Gilmer in Portland also usually has it that way. Mandolin nerds can get away with sizes so much smaller than guitar builders.

j.
www.condino.com

SanzoneGuitar&Mandolin
Nov-05-2013, 7:54pm
Thanks James,
I know, so far so good with the Blackwood/Dalbergia family. Solvents get me pretty good though, even turps.
Thanks for the tip on Coremark, hadn't heard of them. Gilmer is a great business for sure.
Chuck