PDA

View Full Version : New Mandola

wwwilkie
Oct-29-2013, 9:11pm
A new mandola with 16" scale and french polished finish.

cayuga red
Oct-30-2013, 7:02am
Very beautiful instrument. Is the 16 inch scale unique? I'm used to seeing 17 inch scales.

Skip Kelley
Oct-30-2013, 7:38am
Beautiful work!!

Tavy
Oct-30-2013, 8:02am
Oh my, that's lush.... beautiful work!

Jim Garber
Oct-30-2013, 8:04am
That is an exquisite mandola, Wyatt. I would love to hear it.

Gibson scale is about 15.75". The two mandolas I have in my house right now (Monteleone and Kimble) I believe are around 16" or so.

Bernie Daniel
Oct-30-2013, 8:46am
That is an exquisite mandola, Wyatt. I would love to hear it.

Gibson scale is about 15.75". The two mandolas I have in my house right now (Monteleone and Kimble) I believe are around 16" or so.

Yes indeed that Wilkie is a beautiful instrument -- I love the blonde color and the woods contrasting with the darker woods (a rosewood?)! Striking!

Jim I expect that the Kimble is 15.75" like Gibson -- at least the H-5's that he is making are pretty much dead-on to the Loar H-5' specs. If it is an A-style -- maybe he has experimented with those? I'm thinking that I need a Kimble mandola -- living here in Cincinnati. :)

I know Weber uses 17" and Eastman 16" on the mandola scale.

Jim Garber
Oct-30-2013, 9:02am
I will try to measure the scales on the mandolas I have today.

As a mandolin player with average size hands, I do prefer the shorter scale. Before I got my Monteleone I played an H-4 and tried another used newer instrument but I think that had a 17" scale and it was too large to get around esp for classical pieces.

Getting back to the real subject of the thread, I would imagine that a 16" might be ideal at least for me: longer for that ringing tone but an accessible length esp for we players who switch back and forth between mandolin and mandola.

Bernie Daniel
Oct-30-2013, 10:11am

As a mandolin player with average size hands, I do prefer the shorter scale. Before I got my Monteleone I played an H-4 and tried another used newer instrument but I think that had a 17" scale and it was too large to get around esp for classical pieces.

Getting back to the real subject of the thread, I would imagine that a 16" might be ideal at least for me: longer for that ringing tone but an accessible length esp for we players who switch back and forth between mandolin and mandola.

Yes I have an Eastman mandola here and it also has a 16" scale -- switching back and forth with a mandolin is not a big disruption so I think the Wilkie is a good scale length.

billhay4
Oct-30-2013, 10:55am
Lovely. I'd like to hear it.
Bill

cayuga red
Oct-30-2013, 11:13am
Very beautiful instrument. Is the 16 inch scale unique? I'm used to seeing 17 inch scales.

I stand corrected. Signs of a fading memory. Lawrence Smart is building me a mandola but I'd forgotten the scale length. It's going to be 16 1/4 inch scale, not 17.

wwwilkie
Oct-30-2013, 11:56am
I haven't built many mandolas but 16" seems very right to me. I'm building one with a 17" scale right now.
I don't have any recordings but it is Tim Connell's instrument and I'm hoping he does some recording with it. I got to hear him play it for awhile and it was a memorable experience. He's a beautiful player.

Walt Kuhlman
Oct-30-2013, 12:19pm
Beautiful work Wyatt. I have used both 16" and 17" and tend to like the 17" tone a bit better, but that's me. I hope Tim will have the mandola by late March, I'm trying to get him booked for a local concert...I would love to see and hear it!

wwwilkie
Oct-30-2013, 12:26pm
I got to hear him a few nights ago in the Old Church in Portland and he was great. A very nice guy. He has the mandola now but I don't know how much he'll be playing it at shows. I hope you get to see and hear it.

Jake Wildwood
Oct-31-2013, 9:41am
That's some classy stuff right there... sheesh!

SanzoneGuitar&Mandolin
Oct-31-2013, 11:04am
Killer. I like the D'Aquisto vibe and the french polish is perfect!

Jim Garber
Oct-31-2013, 1:09pm

It is a little hard to measure the full length -- how do you make an exact measurement with the compensated bridge? Should I measure to one of the strings?

Length to 12th fret (inches)
Full Scale

Kimble
7-15/16"
15-7/8"

Monteleone Grand Artist
7-7/8"
15-15/16"

Bill Snyder
Oct-31-2013, 5:52pm
Jim, for conversational purposes I would measure to the crown of the 12th fret and double it.

Bernie Daniel
Nov-01-2013, 8:13am
Jim, for conversational purposes I would measure to the crown of the 12th fret and double it.

If you just use the actual measured scale the 15 7/8" on the Kimble is very close to the target that Will was aiming for 15 3/4" which supposedly is the Gibson H-5 scale. BTW that is essentially what the 1912 H-1 I used to have was too.

I've never measured two identical instruments side by side so I'm imagine there is significant variation especially since they have floating bridges. So the idea of doubling up on the nut to 12th measurement makes good sense to me.

By comparison with Jim's measurements the Eastman MDA815 I have here is:

nut to 12th fret = 7-31/32"
nut to bridge = 15-15/16"

Bill Snyder
Nov-01-2013, 8:18am
Well if my math is correct that is precisely half.

Jim Garber
Nov-01-2013, 8:56am
That is what I usually do... I suppose it is more accurate esp if the bridge is not correctly positioned.

Jake Wildwood
Nov-01-2013, 10:38am
Bridge to 12th fret x 2 is usually where your highest course will be set to at the bridge. Sometimes it likes to be sliiiightly back from that but that's generally what people measure to get some idea of "scale length."

Will Kimble
Nov-01-2013, 10:55am
My H5s are Gibson scale, seems like it is a little more than 15 3/4" but I don't have it in front of me - 15.8XX"? My A style and two point mandolas are 16", copied from a particularly good 1980 Nugget A style mandola. I prefer the shorter scale on the mandolas but there is no question the longer scales can really make them roar.

Will Kimble
www.kimblemandolins.com

PS: Great looking mandola Mr. Wilkie, I particularly like the pickguard!

Gary Hedrick
Nov-01-2013, 10:55am
Nicely done indeed. The sound holes are great and the wood and the other details are very elegant.

Bernie, as for Will's mandola's....I have owned two of them (one much like the beauty here in this thread) and a full on H5. Will out Gibson's Gibson on mine.....really great instrument.

Gary Hedrick
Nov-01-2013, 10:58am
Ah as I am typing the Master interjects.....I like the shorter scale length because I get less string slap...I play with a heavy hand and I can over drive the longer scale length models.

As for roaring.....well Will the shorter scale H5 you made for me has little problem roaring....

Jim Garber
Nov-01-2013, 11:09am
My H5s are Gibson scale, seems like it is a little more than 15 3/4" but I don't have it in front of me - 15.8XX"? My A style and two point mandolas are 16", copied from a particularly good 1980 Nugget A style mandola. I prefer the shorter scale on the mandolas but there is no question the longer scales can really make them roar.

I borrowed this "A style" mandola from a friend but that is the one I measured above at 15.875" (15-7/8"). My friend said he thought it was 16 or even 16.25" but that is what I measured it.

I wonder what Gibson would have called a teardrop mandola with f-holes. In the H series they made: H-1, H-2, H-4, H-5.

Sorry to derail your thread, Wyatt. I do like your modernistic designs. I would love to hear some sounds from that mandola. Tim was out here a year or two ago and he is a wonderful musician. I wonder if he could rip off a sound file.

Chip Booth
Nov-04-2013, 12:43pm
I stand corrected. Signs of a fading memory. Lawrence Smart is building me a mandola but I'd forgotten the scale length. It's going to be 16 1/4 inch scale, not 17.

Is yours the one in the current batch? If so it looking really great!

Waytt, that's a beautiful mandola!

Perry Babasin
Nov-04-2013, 4:34pm
Love it!! Nice work!

cayuga red
Nov-04-2013, 6:23pm
Is yours the one in the current batch? If so it looking really great!

Waytt, that's a beautiful mandola!

Yes it is. Thanks for the progress report!