PDA

View Full Version : your opinions about the WASHBURN MANDOLIN(GIBSON "F" STYLE).M3SW

kaizersoza
Oct-29-2013, 1:46pm
Hi Guys,

I was wondering what your opinion is on the Washburn M3SW Mandolin, I am upgrading my mandolin and have just pulled the trigger on this mandolin, there are not many reviews on this mandolin and if you have played or owned one I would love to hear your opinion, thank you

kaizer

Toni Schula
Oct-29-2013, 3:49pm
Hi Kaizer,

I have a pretty old Washburn. The label inside says M-3SWT3. I baught it second hand back in the 1990ies.

My short description: very nice looking, rather heavy, robust, quite silent instrument. I guess the soundboard is rather too thick than too fragile. On the other side the tailpiece didn't like J75s, the hooks started to bend, so I had to switch back to J74s.

Since I upgraded to a luthier built instrument I take the Washburn with me on vacation. Then I miss the much louder, punchier tone of my Krishot.

But we have to take into account, that the Washburn cost only one third of the Krishot, as far this can be said with so many years and the introduction of a new currency (Schilling -> Euro) in between.

Cecily_Mandoliner
Oct-29-2013, 4:03pm
I have the M3SWE model, which appears to be the same as the M3SW in body style, except the "E" has built-in pre-amp pickup.
I have it in the wine color (love it!).
This mandolin has a nice tone. It holds the tuning well, needing only minor adjustments, depending on the fluctuating humidity of Minnesota. When I got it, (used) it was set up with a nice action.
I put the J74 strings on it, and they suit the instrument.
Both my teachers consider this my primary mandolin. I enjoy playing it - although my blue Hohner gets more notice because of it's color. :cool:

Richard.g.hampton
Oct-29-2013, 4:19pm
Hi Kaizer,

I have a pretty old Washburn. The label inside says M-3SWT3. I baught it second hand back in the 1990ies.

My short description: very nice looking, rather heavy, robust, quite silent instrument. I guess the soundboard is rather too thick than too fragile. On the other side the tailpiece didn't like J75s, the hooks started to bend, so I had to switch back to J74s.

Since I upgraded to a luthier built instrument I take the Washburn with me on vacation. Then I miss the much louder, punchier tone of my Krishot.

But we have to take into account, that the Washburn cost only one third of the Krishot, as far this can be said with so many years and the introduction of a new currency (Schilling -> Euro) in between.

My experience precisely - couldn't put it better.

Richard

FLATROCK HILL
Oct-29-2013, 6:04pm
Hi Guys,

I was wondering what your opinion is on the Washburn M3SW Mandolin, I am upgrading my mandolin and have just pulled the trigger on this mandolin, there are not many reviews on this mandolin and if you have played or owned one I would love to hear your opinion, thank you

kaizer

Hi kaizer, Seems like it would be more sensible to ask the question before pulling the trigger. In any case, if you like it...that's what matters most.

kaizersoza
Oct-30-2013, 2:38am
thank you for your replies folks, they are really appreciated, @FLATROCK HILL, I found some reviews online about the mandolin and they were generally quite positive, this was before 'I pulled the trigger', I just wanted some general opinions from Mandolin Café members, anyway thanx for taking the time to reply

kaizersoza
Nov-01-2013, 5:20am
UPDATE
recieved the Washburn yesterday, I haven't played it much yet, but WOW, what a difference from my cheapo electro acoustic, the intonation is very much spot on, it sounds great, I can actually barre the first fret, it has got a lovely protective hard case and I am very happy with my purchase, thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my post

kaizer

JEStanek
Nov-01-2013, 7:57am
Welcome to the Cafe and enjoy your new mandolin. A great set up can be a total game changer in playability. Have fun with the new ride!

Jamie