PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin case cover

Stephen Perry
Feb-20-2005, 10:33am
I'm working up a design for a mandolin case cover. I notice that the mandolin shaped wood and fiberglass cases offer little storage. I'm considering one that would be semi-permanent and replaceable. Would attach to fiberglass with velcro stuck to the glass. To wood shell cases via small screws, like the covers on violin cases.

Would this approach be a good one, or do mandolinists prefer to have a separate case cover that simply zips off? Those often seem a pain in the rear to me.

Scotti Adams
Feb-20-2005, 10:39am
Sounds like a great idea to me...but instead of velcro and screws how about snaps to hold it in place.

Mike Crocker
Feb-20-2005, 12:50pm
Avoid mechanical fasteners if you can. Velcro sounds good. Pockets as large as possible. Many instrument cases have pockets just undersized for a binder...no damn good for a student slogging their axe to a lesson.

Peace, Mooh.

berkeleymando
Feb-20-2005, 1:38pm
I have been considering a case cover for my Calton.

Somehow I'm not thrilled with the idea of attaching screws to it. Nor do I want to attach sticky adhesive velcro things to it. If there could be velcro attachements, big flaps or whatever, that didn't require anything to be attached to the exterior of the case, that would seem good to me. The pocket for a binder full of sheet music would be right on for me.

onlyagibsonisgoodenuff
Feb-20-2005, 2:05pm
OK, but once the case cover is on the case, whatever method of attachment, what protects the case cover?

Loren Bailey
Feb-20-2005, 3:49pm
Steve,

I really like the idea of a cover, something like an oversized gig bag that the case fits into, zips up and has back pack straps or shoulder straps. Something like the gig bag you recently advertised in the classifieds, only it could accomodate a case. Snaps, velcro and screws sound way to complicated to me. Just my $.02 worth

Loren Bailey

Stephen Perry
Feb-20-2005, 7:02pm
A bag that a case slips into isn't difficult. But then one has to undo the bag, then undo the case. Two steps where there should be one. The attached case cover is what I see in the violin world. Works well. But I've seen unattached ones, too. I can probably get a sample of each made, or even get each produced. Probably a place for each. I'm not sure that a binder pocket will fit on a mandolin case platform. Will have to see what can be done. No problem with a guitar sized one, but mandolins are pretty small.

The velcro attachment makes the operation simpler. Velcro cover on. Leave on. Use the case snaps and handle as usual. But now the exterior of the case is protected and there's a place for beers, notes, picks, pencils, concealed weapons, etc. I'll present bow ideas to the final product detailed designers and see what happens. A case cover that zips up will fit almost any normal shaped case. The semi-permanently attached one would fit only a narrow range of cases.

The wood shell violin family cases have the covers screwed on. The covers are replaceable for the better quality cases. The cover has a full length music pocket and so on.

Should be interesting to see what we can come up with. Thanks for the input.

Steve

Loren Bailey
Feb-20-2005, 7:23pm
one more thing, another $.02 worth bringing me up to $.04 now. REAL backpack straps or shoulder strap. Not webbing with clips. Soft, cushy, adjustable.

Loren

acousticphd
Feb-20-2005, 7:43pm
Steve,
It's definitely not a bad idea. Personally, I would consider a case "gig" bag with a couple pouches and backstraps. The case handle could stick out or not, but I wouldn't want something oversize. It would be nice if it fit around a standard, F- and A-shaped shaped hard case. I wouldn't care about fasteners, or the two-step opening process. Once people uncase, the case is usually set aside and they're not fussing with it. It would be convenient to easily move it to another case when you wanted.

In the end you would have something similar to a travelight case but much heavier, maybe a little more protection and that allowed using one's favorite case. I normally use a lightweight travelite-style case anyway, so I would favor something that was simpler and gigbag-priced.

Scotti Adams
Feb-20-2005, 7:56pm
..make one for a Calton and I'll be your first customer..

Stephen Perry
Feb-20-2005, 9:29pm
I can get a one-off for a Calton without any trouble. For any case. Custom features and all, it just costs something to develop it and get it made!!

I was thinking of 2 models for the Eastman (semi-permanent and case cover designs), and a model for the typical mandolin shaped vintage style case copied by everyone. http://www.folkmusician.com/vifmaca.html as a typical example.

Steve

Scotti Adams
Feb-20-2005, 9:33pm
..cost for a Calton?

Stephen Perry
Feb-20-2005, 9:41pm
I have no idea. I'd have to get a quote etc. Probably more than for this Colorado, but fancier. http://www.coloradocase.com/content/MandolinMaster.htm

But I'll get ones for the Eastman figured out first. A good product with no storage, so it is a good candidate.

Steve

John Flynn
Feb-20-2005, 9:42pm
I find a triple tennis racket case makes the perfect mandolin shaped-case cover. It fits just fine, has plenty of storage space and goes for about $40. It is also less appealing to thieves and dumb-question askers. If I want to spend more and get the real thing, both Small Dog and Colorado Case do a really great job on custom-fit case covers for about $100 - $140. So I guess my input is that your new case covers would need to fill a market niche not covered by those two extremes.

J. Mark Lane
Feb-20-2005, 10:02pm
Yeah, John, I'm with you. I think this thing cost about $29.95...it holds my TKL case perfectly, and happens to work well with my mandola, also. FWIW, I happen to also have a Colorado Case cover, which is awesome...but for the money, heck, I'd just as soon have the cheapo. Attracts less attention, too.

J. Mark Lane
Feb-20-2005, 10:03pm
Showing the TKL case....

John Flynn
Feb-20-2005, 10:06pm
Well, and there's room in there for Grover also, which is a plus!

Scotti Adams
Feb-20-2005, 10:22pm
is Grover extra....??

Scotti Adams
Feb-20-2005, 10:47pm
Steve..let me know what you come up with..Im definently interested....if you want email me at MandoScotti@aol.com thanks!

diamond ace
Feb-20-2005, 10:52pm
I would buy one that would fit nice and tight to my Eastman F-style case so that when you open the case the cove dosn't fall off the top. attaching with velcro adhisive would be a good way to keep the top of the cover from coming off when the case is open. Also a pocket sized to fit the intela-touch tuner would be cool and maybe a seperate pocket sized to hold about 5 packs of strings and another for picks.....
If you make this I will buy it!

mandroid
Feb-21-2005, 1:45am
I think the ability to store A9/ 9x12 folios for music sheets unrumpled is a reasonable item, rectangular covers with additional storage space on rectagular archtop cases? with #welded-metal D ring for shoulder straps
buckles and straps for the music stand?
and Carbon fibre cloth #added to shell layup for added strength. watertight gasketing, immersion tested.

jimbob
Feb-21-2005, 5:36am
Many...many, many....years ago when I was in band in school, many students had case covers for their instruments. Cordura nylon was not on the market then so these case covers were made from some canvas type material. They were very well fitted to the case and provided easy access to the case latches and handle. I remember the cases being doubled in areas prone to wear. I never did know where these came from. I was told that a couple came out of local upholstery shops.

I would think the tailor-fit appoach would be my preference. I would like to see storage pockets with either zippers or velcro closures. I would like to see the cover made out of something very durable. The only problem I have seen with Cordura nylon is that it is difficult to clean once it gets dirty. I have a Cordura golf bag....pretty much bullet-proof, but it seems to stain pretty badly. I have been looking into case covers because I need one to offer added protection when I travel. A good case is an investment worth protecting just like what's inside.

mandroid
Feb-21-2005, 3:02pm
PVC impregnated cloth #would be my #choice. Rubber boats and commercial fisherfolks raingear type material.

Perhaps a rectangular cover and a pocket inside, for the shaped case; with the corners filled with mucho storage space . the stored stuff isnt going to contact [ding] the instrument , that way.

Bob Kellett
Feb-21-2005, 3:14pm
J. Mark Lane,

Is that what people mean when they say they have Grover tuners?? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

J. Mark Lane
Feb-21-2005, 3:30pm
Oh, man, that was baaaad.

eastcarterman
Feb-21-2005, 5:16pm
why do y'll want to cover your cases? I think my Eastman case looks cool, I want people to see it!

Scotti Adams
Feb-21-2005, 6:20pm
..some people choose a case cover to add extra storage...some cases lack storage....some covers have pockets for added storage...

mikeyes
Feb-23-2005, 4:24pm
Boboleck (sp?) makes a case with a replaceable cover and can be found at Fine Cases (http://www.finecases.com/browse/bobelock/bobelock-1472.html)