PDA

View Full Version : Weber Model Question

Michael Bridges
Oct-27-2013, 7:38am
Just ran across a youtube video of Eva Holbrook from SHEL playing "Tuscany". (Looks to be in a mall somewhere, after-hours). Beautiful playing! My question is, does anybody know what model Weber she's playing? I love that tone. Yeah, I know, a large part of it is technique, but it has a "ring" to it that just appeals to me.

AW Meyer
Oct-27-2013, 10:53am
Looks like the Beartooth model. It used to be their top-of-the-line A model, but that line was discontinued a few years ago.

rastamypasta
Oct-27-2013, 11:43pm
Is this song a traditional song or a composition by her? I would love the music or tab for it.

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-28-2013, 3:22am
It is indeed a Weber "Beartooth" 'f' hole model. I had the Oval hole model & it was an incredible instrument in every way,& far louder than many 'F' styles i've played. Unfortunately i had to part with it as the neck was warped, & it was going to take many months to put it right. If you can find one
for sale,buy it !,
Ivan108684

Michael Bridges
Oct-28-2013, 5:06pm
What in their current line-up would be comparable (Woods, bracing, etc.)? I do like the look and sound of that one!

Eddie Sheehy
Oct-28-2013, 5:40pm
I've heard good things about their D-Hole Bridger model.

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-29-2013, 3:03am
There was a Weber Beartooth for sale in the classified ads.not too long ago. I'd keep on looking for a while to see if one turns up.Search the I/net & look atthe music stores. I wouldn't jump at a different model just yet.They were the top of the line "A" style at one time & rightly so,they are terrific mandolins.I've no doubt that Bruce Weber would advise you re. the 'replacement' model,if you can't find a Beartooth for sale - good luck in your search,i hope you find a good one. I still regret having had to part with mine,
Ivan:(
PS - There are 3 beautiful Weber "Absaroka" 'f' hole "A" style mandolins for sale in the ads.,which i'd venture to say wouldn't sound a milion miles away from the Beartooth.

Eric F.
Oct-29-2013, 7:12am
What in their current line-up would be comparable (Woods, bracing, etc.)? I do like the look and sound of that one!

The Fern is the top of the line in both A and F models now. Weber decided it was confusing to have different model names for A and F styles, so they consolidated.

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-31-2013, 3:42am
Eric - That makes sense,but are the current Fern "A" styles built the same way as the old Beartooth model ?. My Beartooth was 'X' braced while my Fern "F" style is tonebar braced. I just had a look at Weber's website & the type of bracing isn't given. I suppose a quick e-mail to Weber would answer that,
Ivan

chasgrav
Nov-01-2013, 6:35pm
Yes, the Beartooth used a modified X-bracing. I have an F-hole model that I bought new in 2000, and it's a great instrument. My other mando is a National RM-1, which I like maybe even better. (Completely different animals, of course).

Not sure about the Fern, but I don't think it's X-braced. So, really, I'm not clear about why the Beartooth model was discontinued.

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-02-2013, 3:31am
I suppose that maybe the logic of having the top line "A" & "F" styles with the 'same model name' as Eric suggested, is the reason. However,i'm not sure if there is another Weber oval hole "A" style that carries 'X' bracing. If not, it would seem sad that such a great combo.as i had on my Beartooth should be scrapped.As i mentioned,the Weber website doesn't give the style of bracing for the mandolins listed,
Ivan;)

Michael Bridges
Nov-02-2013, 7:12am
If I get further into this as a possibility, I'll go straight to the Weber source. Like I said, I was just intrigued by the sound in that video, and wanted to find out more. Cafe folks are always a great source of info. Thanks guys!

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-03-2013, 4:31am
Mike - I've seen that clip a few times it's not 'new'. The tone that Eva pulls out of it is very typical of the Webers that i've played,very open,sweet toned if not exactly having the 'woody' bass that most folks like for Bluegrass,but that depends on the strings IMHO. One time i put some DR Handmade strings on my "Fern",the mediums,the same gauges at J74's & it went into overdrive. The tone became very powerful & full,quite a dramatic change.The reason i don't use them all the time is that they had the very faintest 'after-ring',a minute 'zingyness' at the end of the note.However,they were so terrific that i'm considering using them on my Fern,my Lebeda doesn't need any more power.Hopefully i'll get used to the 'zing',
Ivan

Michael Bridges
Nov-03-2013, 6:47am
Ivan, thanks for that! I guess that was what I was looking for, whether her tone from that video was representative of a "Weber" sound. I was drawn to the fact that it's not (to me) the classic "bluegrass" sound entirely.Still close enough to where it wouldn't be out of place at a BG jam, but with added flexibility!

Bob Clark
Nov-03-2013, 7:50am
The tone that Eva pulls out of it is very typical of the Webers that i've played,very open,sweet toned if not exactly having the 'woody' bass that most folks like for Bluegrass,but that depends on the strings IMHO.

Hi Mike, Just a quick nod of agreement with Ivan's thoughts on the Weber tone. What I hear in Eva's playing of her Weber, is her ability to really pull out that tone that so many Webers have. That's what attracted me to them and keeps me playing them. I have a couple of Webers and love them. I'm not a bluegrasser though, so I can't really comment on their utility in that genre. If the tone you hear in her recording is what you're after, be sure to get a chance to try out some Webers!

Best wishes, Bob

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-04-2013, 4:21am
Weber mandolins do have their 'own' distinctive tone. They don't have the 'trad.',woody bass that a lot of players demand for Bluegrass,but it's certainly good enough. What the Webers do have in abundance,is 'cutting power'.Their clarity across the fingerboard will cut through most instrumental lineups.
Further to my last post,this morning i ordered 2 more sets of the DR MD11 'medium' strings for my own Weber.I'll try to ignore the minute 'zingyness',although putting my rubber grommets back on might solve that if it turns out to be overtones for the first time. If you haven't tried the DR mediums,give them a try,they certainly transformed my Fern. They are a heck of a powerful string,
Ivan~:>;)

Mandopotter
Nov-04-2013, 9:45am
Love my D-Hole Bridger. Works well for Celtic, just not in my hands. Think I'll stay with the fiddle.
wbw

Eric F.
Nov-05-2013, 10:36am
Eric - That makes sense,but are the current Fern "A" styles built the same way as the old Beartooth model ?. My Beartooth was 'X' braced while my Fern "F" style is tonebar braced. I just had a look at Weber's website & the type of bracing isn't given. I suppose a quick e-mail to Weber would answer that,
Ivan

My Fern oval is x-braced. Weber will build whatever you want. Tone bars and x-bracing are listed as no-cost options.

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-06-2013, 3:33am
Purely as an aside to the 'Weber' content - i put another set of DR 'Handmade' strings on my Fern yesterday (please don't ask me re. the handmade bit). Again, i got the added extras - the tone remains the same,but it's more powerful & the volume increased dramatically.This time there's no zingy after-tone either. I'm so pleased with what these strings do for my Fern,that i'm considering using them on that one all the time. My store only had one set in stock,so they had to go on my Weber. I was so amazed the last time i put a set on it, that i didn't really appraise what they did for my Lebeda. Maybe not as much,as it's a pretty powerful instrument anyway. So,for anybody who owns a Weber instrument,it might be worth trying a set of DR MD11's ( same gauges as J74's) on your instrument. Quite a while ago,'Big Joe' vest was saying just how good these strings were. Maybe they won't work 'for you' but then again ...........
Ivan:disbelief:;)

Dave Hanson
Nov-06-2013, 4:11am
Hi Ivan, where did you get your DR strings from ?

Cheers, Dave H

George R. Lane
Nov-06-2013, 4:39pm
You can get them here.

http://www.juststrings.com/drstringsmandolin.html

pefjr
Nov-06-2013, 4:47pm
I have the impression that Weber names mandolins depending upon what Mountain chain they happen to be hiking in at the time. They all sound good, even better when picked by a professional.

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-07-2013, 4:27am
Dave - I get my strings from Stringbusters,where i buy all my strings from these days. However i got the last set of DR MD11's on Tuesday.I phoned them yesterday to find out when they'll be back in stock - i want more ! - & they said maybe Friday.
http://www.stringbusters.com/ They are more expensive than my usual J74's,but for what they give my Weber,they're almost a bargain,& i get the impression that they'll last a long time as well,
Ivan