PDA

View Full Version : Identify Grandfathers Old Mandolin

Danile666
Oct-23-2013, 4:59pm
So my grandfather passed away a few years back. He used to play bluegrass, and had a large stockpile of different instruments. Over the years I have slowly inherited different instruments. A few days ago I got a hold of one of his old mandolins.

The only real story I have about it is there was repair work (pretty obvious) about 40 years ago in Alabama, but the sound is still true.

It has no stickers or stamps, it tuned up but I am pretty sure the neck needs to be reset as there is about 1/2 an inch or larger action at the 12th fret. There is obvious repair work there as well.

The back is slightly rounded, as is the soundboard, no major markings. Pretty generic looking mandolin. I am not interested in selling it as it is an heirloom. I have an idea it's a cheapy anyways.

Thanks for any advice.

nickster60
Oct-23-2013, 5:58pm
Kind of looks like a Stadolin

barney 59
Oct-23-2013, 6:59pm
Yah --Stradolin probably....Stradolin has a reputation of being a pretty good "cheapy".

Danile666
Oct-23-2013, 7:03pm
It wouldn't surprise me. He would buy what he liked the sound of. Price or name brand didn't mean much. His favorite guitar was free and custom made, even though he had expensive ones too.

Is it common for stradolin to have no markings? What year do you suppose?

allenhopkins
Oct-23-2013, 9:52pm
The fact that the little separated segments at the end of the f-holes are comma-shaped, rather than round -- plus the headstock profile -- leads me to guess Harmony. rather than Strad-O-Lin.

Danile666
Oct-23-2013, 10:18pm
It does look that way.

bmac
Oct-24-2013, 2:13am
The mando is a Strad-O-Lin. Look at photo 264 on the Strad-O-Lin social group. Two models with the comma shaped f hole ends are shown. In the photo pages you will find several other examples of comma shaped f hole ends. The mandolin in question has had its headstock veneer removed so the Strad-O-Lin logo came off with the veneer. The missing pick guard and tailpiece cover are a bit confusing but it is not unusual for the pick guard or the tailpiece cover to be removed and lost.

The missing headstock logo, the missing pick guard and the missing cloud tailpiece make dating more problematic... but I suspect just prior to and possibly for a short time after WW2 would be a reasonable guess, but just a guess.. There are not a whole lot of these with the comma shaped holes around if their rarety in the Strad-O-Lin photos is any indication.

And yes,,, These are very nice sounding instruments.

bmac
Oct-24-2013, 8:15am
I should mention that Waverly cloud tailpieces come up fairly regularly on ebay. they will run from maybe 20 to $45 depending on condition and luck. That will improve the looks very nicely .... Also you can put a black veneer on the headstock which will help but you likely won't be able to replicate the original decal with the Strad-O-Lin name and art work.

Danile666
Oct-24-2013, 8:44am
I have to see if I can fix the neck first. It's got a pretty nasty bend, and it makes the action way too high.

Jim Garber
Oct-24-2013, 10:06am
I have to see if I can fix the neck first. It's got a pretty nasty bend, and it makes the action way too high.

That is quite nasty. Is the neck joint tight? It is hard to tell whether the neck is just seriously warped. Also is that a crack on the bass side of the top.

I would say grandpa stripped the thing and replaced the bridge as well and maybe the tuners.

Danile666
Oct-24-2013, 10:37am
There was a repair to the neck joint done about 40 years ago. It looks roughly done, but it is solid and looks straight there. If I look at it sideways there is some major warping. As far as stripping the body, it does not actually seem to have been stripped. I am sure the bridge is newer.

There is a crack that appears to have been repaired already. It looks like the same job done at the neck joint. So probably at the same time.

bmac
Oct-24-2013, 12:58pm
The action can be lowered somewhat by not using the adjustable bridge and replacing it with a lower non-adjustable bridge, either purchased or of your own making.

But this of course ignores the real problem if the neck is bent or has moved in its joint.

bmac
Oct-24-2013, 1:24pm
I just took a harder look at the central photo which shows the neck/body joint best, and It appears that the neck is not bent but the joint is the problem..... I will bet if you remove the neck and correct its angle the problem with the neck and fretboard will correct itself.

On my similar Strad the part holding the fretboard over the mando body is a separate wooden piece and not actually part of the neck. that appears to be the case with yours... In which case there is no significant bend in the neck but it simply has moved in its joint with the body. If so, that would make repair easier. It is hard to read the photos but that appears to me to be the case.