PDA

View Full Version : Vega Bowlback bridge questions

Patrick Melly
Oct-22-2013, 3:12pm
My Vega bowlback arrived without the bone (?) insert that tops the bridge:

Would anyone have a close-up of a Vega bridge from that era (SN#9776 (?), maybe pre-1895) that I could use as a reference? Also, is the bone insert glued in place, or held there by string pressure? Finally, my bridge arrived sitting on a shim:

Is that shim present on other Vega bowls?

Thanks,
Patrick

brunello97
Oct-22-2013, 4:52pm
Jim should have some nice Vega bridge photos to include--I'm at the office or I'd attach something. Looks like a nice Vega, Patrick, so we are going to insist on some more photos as the "price" for any advice.....;)

On my Vegas the bone saddle / insert in the bridge is cut so that the pieces lock together without glue. The ends of the saddle are tapered (like a brick in an arch) to lock into the saddle slot. Easy enough to do with a bone saddle blank from a luthier supply shop (eg Stewart McDonald) or another online source. Getting the string slots set up and cut is a bit more fiddly but plenty of advice here and online.

The shim is not original. It may be because the top is sinking a bit and the bridge has needed to be raised. Some top sinkage is not uncommon on old bowl backs, and may be stable, or it may be the result of a loose brace or something more serious structurally. Ideally having a good luthier (ideally familiar with bowlbacks) have a look. Probably could fix you up with the saddle as well if need be.

Good luck! I hope it all works out for you. Vegas from this era are very pleasant mandolins: lightweight and responsive.

Mick

Jim Garber
Oct-23-2013, 10:45am
That looks like a style 3 (or possibly a 4). My first functional Vega was a style 3 and I still have it. Here are some pics I have of Vega bridges but none from the side. The first is a Vega but the others are similar.

I can photograph mine from other angles and post here later. The last one shows the bone insert but the bridge slots are broken off.

Patrick Melly
Oct-23-2013, 1:52pm
Thanks Mick, Thanks Jim,

that detail of the insert key-stoning into the bridge is great information!

I'm happy to add more photos:

More photos to follow,
Patrick

Jim Garber
Oct-23-2013, 2:12pm
That does look like my style 3. Mine is a wonderful instrument. I strung it with Dogal Calace RW92b Dolce (http://bernunzio.com/product/dogal-calace-mandolin-5/) strings. Not cheap, but they sound great and they last a long time.

Here area few pics of mine.

Patrick Melly
Oct-23-2013, 2:18pm
I was lucky to find exact replacements for the tuning machines on ebay -

The existing tuners were wearing mismatched gears, some steel, some brass,
making some very hard to turn; they now reside in the spare parts bin:

There was a headstock repair at some time, possibly obscuring the complete serial number. I can see only 4 digits, 9776, dating it earlier than 1895 by the Mugwumps list, but I suspect the Vega might be younger than that. If the SN# were 19776, that
would date it to maybe 1900.

Patrick

Patrick Melly
Oct-23-2013, 2:35pm
Yes, Jim, mine looks almost exactly like your style 3 -
only with differences:
in the fretboard inlays, mine being plain ovals -

and the tailpiece cover engraving. The tuner cover plate
has the same engraving as yours.

Jim, what is your serial number? Does my estimate of 1895 - 1900 seem right?

Thanks,
Patrick

Jim Garber
Oct-23-2013, 4:23pm
There are lots of variations even within the std styles. I will check my SN and see what it says.