PDA

View Full Version : Austin City Limits:  1981 show.

telepbrman
Feb-19-2005, 2:27pm
What do we have on the Mandolin special that Austin City Limits had in 81? I did a Tiny Moore search and it popped up with Jethro, David, and such....any tapes, VHS, out there to buy? Thanks, dy.

bdisp
Feb-19-2005, 2:33pm
Count me in to purchase a copy.

John Rosett
Feb-19-2005, 2:33pm
i've often wondered why ACL doesn't sell recordings of their shows. there sure were alot of good ones.
john

mandough
Feb-19-2005, 2:42pm
I agree that Austin City Limits is a fine show. I'd love to buy DVDs of all the great shows I missed. For God's sake, I was listening to New Wave in 80's. Maybe we can start up some kind of email drive to let those folks know that we want those old show. Hopefully it might lead to full shows being offered and not comps.

Skittle
Feb-19-2005, 9:31pm
I taped that Grisman Quintet, Jetro Burns and Tiny Moore in 81 with..then a Beta machine, then transfered it over to VHS. Still to this day a very impressive show!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Juice6120
Feb-19-2005, 10:04pm
Skittle I have some old Flatt and scruggs , and am slowly transfering all the johnny cash show jethro stuff over to one compilation. Lonzo and oscar etc If ya will trade thanks#

http://www.pbs.org/klru/austin/artists/program376.html

thats the link to the show.
David Grisman Quartet followed by A Mandolin Special featuring Tiny Moore and Jethro Burns #

Photo by Scott Newton for Austin City Limits

Country meets jazz on Austin City Limits' "Mandolin Special" which spotlights the evolution of mandolin styles through two pioneering generations. The David Grisman Quintet reflect the influence of youth on the traditions of renowned mandolinists Tiny Moore, Jethro Burns and Johnny Gimble.

The musical magic of The David Grisman Quintet is an original melange of lightning melodic and rhythmic counterpoint executed with finger-blurring perfection by mandolinists David Grisman and Mike Marshall, guitarist Mark O'Connor, fiddler Darol Anger and bassist Rob Wasserman. Grisman's compositions reflect his myriad musical influences including Bill Monroe, Django Reinhardt, Stephane Grappelli, John Coltrane and Duke Ellington.

Enamored of the mandolin since his early teens, Grisman's comprehensive study of classical, bluegrass, traditional European folk and jazz mandolin styles melded into a unique style, which he dubs "Dawg Music" after his long-standing nickname. The label was coined primarily as an attempt to avoid boxy categorizations, which music critics inevitably sought when the Quintet's first album was a rave success in 1977.

His tunes feature light, running melodies accompanied by swinging rhythms. Lined up across the stage, the players are obviously connected to the same circuit. The melodies and rhythms jump back and forth freely creating an exciting electricity among them.

The Quintet performs Grisman compositions "EMD," "Dawgma" and "Opus 38," a tune written in his adolescence featuring Grisman on mandola and Mike Marshall on mandocello. A stunning highlight of the concert is their performance of John Coltrane's ballad "Naima." This selection of scenes from Grisman's musical vision concludes with a spectacular 9-minute version of his self-styled "Dawg's Rag."

Following his Quintet's outstanding performance, Grisman jokingly introduces "Eldon Shamblin and the Magic Mandolins" featuring Tiny More and Jethro Burns. When he learned that these mandolin mavericks had never met, he set in motion what was to be an historic encounter between two of the greatest mandolinists. Back to Back, the album Grisman produced as the riffs were flying, was the inspiration for Austin City Limits' "Mandolin Special."

Moore has been considered the most important mandolin performer in the music business for more than 35 years. The swing and jazz style of mandolin playing is one that he developed during his early association with dance bands, most notably Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys. He was largely unaware of country mandolinists, however, and looked instead to the great jazz guitar and horn players for inspiration. His technique was a unique and revolutionary approach to the mandolin unheard of until his time. He also pioneered the solid-body, five-string electric mandolin. Since the 1970 revival of Wills music brought on by a Merle Haggard album that reunited the Texas Playboys, including Moore, he has been a regularly featured guest with the Haggard show. Moore steps out on his composition. "Tiny's Rag."

Burns is probably the most famous mandolin player in the world. His work with the late Henry (Homer) Haynes as Homer and Jethro reached millions of people through records, media and nightclub appearances. Most often remembered for their comedic hijinx, Homer and Jethro were both brilliant string musicians as well. Their act brought Burns' original swing-inspired style to the attention of musicians all over the country. Burns is revered by many young players for his role in expanding the musical potential of the mandolin. After his partner's untimely death in 1970, Burns went into semi-retirement from performing. Since his return in the last few years, he is again enjoying widespread interest and critical acclaim as a true pioneer of jazz mandolin and a hot jazz musician. Burns showcases his acoustic prowess on Django Reinhart/Stephane Grappelli tune "Swing 39." His electrified technique stands out on his own "Jethro's Tune" and the jazz standard "Groovin' High."

Gimble is well-known for his masterful fiddle playing. Since his days with Bob Wills, he's become the most recorded fiddle player in Nashville. In this program he shows off his mandolin artistry during a mandolin "blues jam." Later, he and Moore picked up their fiddles for a swinging medley.

Rhythm guitarist Eldon Shamblin is also a former Texas Playboy who often plays with Merle Haggard. Another musical pioneer, Shamblin initiated the rhythm style that first set the pace for western swing based on early jazz influences. With his vintage 1954 Stratocaster (given to him personally by Leo Fender), he pulls the group together and shines on "How High the Moon."

Austin City Limits' "Mandolin Special" is the first time these great musical links between country and jazz have appeared together on television.

Johnny Gimble
"Groovin' High"
"Tiny's Rag"
"Jethro's Tune"
"Blues in G"
"Swing 39" #
"Diane"
"How High The Moon"
Recorded: 09/24/1980 #

Jethro Burns
"Groovin' High"
"Tiny's Rag"
"Jethro's Tune"
"Blues in G"
"Swing 39" #
"Diane"
"How High The Moon"

Tiny Moore
"Groovin' High"
"Tiny's Rag"
"Jethro's Tune"
"Blues in G"
"Swing 39"
"Diane"
"How High The Moon"

David Grisman Quintet, The
"EMD"
"Opus 38"
"Dawgma"
"Naima"
"Dawg's Rag"

David Grisman
"Groovin' High"
"Tiny's Rag"
"Jethro's Tune"
"Blues in G"
"Swing 39"
"Diane"
"How High The Moon"

Eldon Shamblin
"Groovin' High"
"Tiny's Rag"
"Jethro's Tune"
"Blues in G"
"Swing 39" #
"Diane"
"How High The Moon"

If you work in media they will pull copies for you. I will ask around this weekend and see what i can find out. That year was awesome Had bill monroe earlier in the season!!!!

JimRichter
Feb-19-2005, 11:21pm
Well, I transferred the '81 DGQ/Tiny Moore/Jethro Burns/Johnny Gimble show over to DVD for people on the Co-Mando email list about 2 years ago. #Excellent show. #During the 80's I was a ACL and Lonesome Pine Speical junkie and taped a bunch of stuff. #Most of it I can't find anymore, but I did manage to find tapes of some choice bits that I have since transferred over to DVD.

Frankly better than the '81 ACL show was the '87 or '88 Lonesome Pine SPecial #Mandolin Extravaganza with Sam Bush, Mike Marshall, Peter Ostrushko, and the Mandolin Orchestra of Louisville. # One hour of mandolin music--hooray!

I also transferred over the '87 or '88 New Grass Revival from Lonesome Pine Special--incredible stuff. #I always loved hearing the 80's version of NGR do earlier NGR material. #Pat Flynn does an incredible "Pack of Fools."

From ACL I have the first Hot Rize/Red Knuckles appearance, circa '85 or '86, as well as their later Lonesome Pine Special.

More ACL--Big Mon from around '80 w/ Butch Robins. #Fantastic stuff.

I was also fortunate to have a bunch of New Country shows taped off of TNN back when it was a country station. #A bunch of classic mid 80's performances by NGR, Peter Rowan and the Nashville Bluegrass Band (first time I ever saw Mike Compton), Osborne Bros., and Doyle Lawson (the version of the band with Scott Vestal, Russell Moore, and Ray Deaton. #

It's amazing how much great music PBS has broadcasted in the past 30 plus years. Back before instructional videos and now DVDs, #ACL and Lonesome Pine Special are greatly responsible for how I learned to pick (mainly banjo back then). #I wore those tapes out trying to learn "Up on the Blue Ridge" or "Radio Boogie."

Jim

Rick Schmidlin
Feb-19-2005, 11:44pm
Jin are you any relation to Jeff Richter?

Rick

JimRichter
Feb-20-2005, 12:59am
Not that I know of. Where does Jeff Richter live?

Jim

Jim Roberts
Feb-20-2005, 9:47am
That Lonsome Pine Special featuring Peter Ostrushko and Sam Bush was shown at the Mandolin Symposium last summer and was a total mind blower. #Ostrushko was flat out amazing and I got dizzy watching Sam Bush rock out with his back and forth swing! #I'd love to get a copy of that DVD from you Jim as well as the Moore, Burns and Gimble recording.

JimRichter
Feb-20-2005, 10:24am
That Lonesome Pine Special is incredible. One of my favorite bits is where Marshall, Ostrushko, and Bush jam on Burns' Broadway. Man, it shows the differences in their creative approaches. Marshall, in his solo, has one of the slinkiest right hands/wrists around. Just an amazing solo. The only thing about Peter O's playing that I really didn't care for from this time period are all the crazy "blender speed" tremelos he does. Cool, I guess, but not my cup of tea. The Modern Mandolin Quartet stuff is pretty hip.

I don't mind trading, so don't hesitate to PM me. I don't like doing a bunch of it, cause I really don't pursue that as a hobby. But, I can usually be talked into it.

Jim

cmrd1a
Feb-20-2005, 10:27pm
Jim,
is there any way I may get a copy of the 1981 ACL show with Jethro and David?
Please contact me off list at cmrf5@msn.com #I have some fantastic live shows on CDR that you might like. #Perhaps a trade? #Thanks http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

roberto
Dec-21-2013, 1:10pm
Hi,
I'm interested in getting a copy of the Austin City Limits with David Grisman Quartet and the Mandolin Special with Tiny Moore, Johnny Gimble and Jethro Burns.
I can't find it for sale. And it has been erased from youtube.
Is there any way I can get a copy? If any of you could be kind enough to help...

Michael Bridges
Dec-21-2013, 5:34pm
roberto, Sent you a P.M.

Marty Jacobson
Dec-21-2013, 5:40pm
Here's DGQ w/ Mark O'Connor... the full show used to be posted on YouTube, but recently got pulled due to copyright restrictions.
jAZ7f2uy3ZY

padawan
Dec-21-2013, 9:54pm
Here's DGQ w/ Mark O'Connor... the full show used to be posted on YouTube, but recently got pulled due to copyright restrictions.

WOW! That's good stuff. It certainly needs to be added to the "favorite youtube clips" thread.

thanks

notneils
Dec-22-2013, 2:36pm
Somebody needs to get this circulating on bit torrent! Or get me a copy & i'll do it.

Anybody interested in a donation to or trade with me, please drop me a PM!