Mandolin Cafe Front Page Archive
If you missed something from the Mandolin Cafe front page you'll find it here. Since some of the information we link to is external please understand that as these links go bad they will be removed.
2016 Front Page Highlights
- It's that time of year when new bands are being formed. Don't waste valuable time picking a name. Let us do the work for you! Random Bad Bluegrass Band Name Generator.
- In the spirit of the holidays, this very nicely done You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch.
- A long, long time ago on the Mandolin Cafe: Santa Caught On Security Tape Trying Out Mandolins.
- Now officially available for ordering since being announced in October: The Complete Guide to the Gibson Mandolins.
- Get in the spirit of the holidays with the Mandolin Cafe's definitive mandolin Christmas recording list or download the free Christmas MP3s on our MP3 page under (of course) the Christmas category.
- Ridiculously cool guitar & mandolin from Johnny Staats and Robert Shafer on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Great cut: Sarah Jarosz on eTown playing a Northfield octave mandolin.
- Rest in peace. We are saddened to learn of the passing of Toni Nigreli, a key figure in the Classical Mandolin Society of America.
- It's that time again! Aaron Weinstein's occasional chord melody Tuesday.
- David Benedict's Mandolin Mondays celebrates Christmas. Very nicely done!
- Sierra Hull and Joe K. Walsh are the instructors at this year's 12th Annual Targhee Music Camp, August 7-10 in Alta, Wyo.
- Looking ahead into 2017: we have over 140 mandolin workshops and camps mapped.
- Information from a dealer about questions regarding Kentucky's redesigned F mandolins.
- Northfield is posting a series of Christmas tunes played by Emory Lester on their Facebook page. A nice way to look forward to the holidays!
- Interesting: these early Bill Monroe tracks posted to the forum!
- Get in the spirit of the holidays with the Mandolin Cafe's definitive mandolin Christmas recording list.
- Happy 98th birthday today to the very great (and late) Jacob do Bandolim, Brazil's mandolin pioneer!
- Great article from this date 2007: Curly Seckler's Mandolin Reunion (with David Grisman).
- A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. We knew it sounded like that.
- Interesting: angry was relatively unaffected by MP3 compression. And now we know.
- Most definitely a great read: our Adam Steffey Interview from this date 2010.
- Blast from the past: our Mandolin Magazine searchable database of past issues, summaries only.
- As a general rule we like to report information other people create.
- Saga Introduces Redesigned Deluxe Kentucky F-Models.
- Congrats to Sierra Hull and Sarah Jarosz: Grammy Nominations for Best Folk Album.
- For those that simply can't get enough Christmas: Mandolin Cafe definitive mandolin Christmas recording list!
- Happy 85th birthday Bobby Osborne. See our Bobby Osborne interview from 2011.
- Mandolin Mondays #49: David Benedict's version of "Richmond."
- 16 yrs. ago today John Reischman's Up In The Woods was released. Got the transcriptions?
- New from Hal Leonard: Classical Themes: Mandolin Play-Along Volume 11.
- Anniversary of the Monroe headplate sold at auction: great audio story told by the man himself.
- Michael Daves interviews Chris Thile as part of an ArtistWorks feature.
- From this date, 2014, because you need a little science in your life: First study of 'Golden Age' mandolins unlocks secrets of their beauty.
- Cool video: Caterina Lichtenberg interviews German luthier master Alfred Woll.
- Gold Tone announces their new cutaway mandocello model available in December.
- An historically significant recording updated: New and Expanded The New Kentucky Colonels' Live In Sweden 1973 now available on CD.
- Registration for the 2017 Monroe Mandolin Camp is open as of December 1.
- Good news for fans of our Mandolin Cafe Ball Caps: they return in a few weeks, khaki only.
- The Mandolin Cafe's definitive mandolin Christmas recording list.
- Great new original bluegrass from the band Chain Station on the Cafe MP3 page.
- The Gold Tone prototype mandocello displayed on our forum earlier this year available soon.
- For Mandolin Mondays #48 David Benedict shows off the new band he's joining in Boston, Mile 12.
- A GoFundMe for Hiroshi Arakawa, a talented and popular musician involved in a tragic car accident.
- Peghead Nation is partnering with the Mandolin Cafe to offer a first month free, or $20 off an annual subscription, when they sign up for any course.
- 3 Sigma Audio Introduces Impulse Responses For Mandolin.
- Looking for a few high quality mandolin Christmas tunes to download for free? Look no further.
- A few Norman Blake instruments going up for sale at Carter Vintage. See them here.
- Best wishes for a peaceful weekend and the holiday ahead.
- David Benedict is moving to Boston and joining Mile 12, announced on Facebook.
- Always a treat: Aaron Weinstein's sometimes Mandolin Chord Melody Tuesdays tackles "How About You."
- Long-time supporters of the Mandolin Cafe, we're happy to see Pava Mandolins has launched a dedicated web site for their beautiful and in-demand instruments.
- Steve Gilchrist's web site updated with #70281 restoration pix.
- "Turkey in the Straw" like you've never heard: David Benedict Mandolin Mondays #47.
- Ever wish to search our Classifieds for items listed as sold? Here's an easy method.
- Fretboard Journal, 70281: The first Loar-signed F-5 mandolin gets a second life. Earlier discussion on our Forum.
- Chris Thile and pianist Brad Mehldau to release duo album Jan. 27 on Nonesuch.
- Mandolin Cafe is celebrating 21 years on the web. Here's to the next 21!
- Son! David Benedict tackles "John Hardy" for Mandolin Mondays #46.
- Some nice Irish music on mandolin and fiddle for you from Marla Fibish and Dale Russ in the Peghead Nation studios.
- Early registration for the 2017 Monroe Mandolin Camp opens Dec. 1.
- In California, March 2017: Global Mandolin Retreats with Mike Marshall, Caterina Lichtenberg and Don Stiernberg.
- Released three years ago today, Don Stiernberg's Jazz Mandolin Appetizers.
- New in print: The Hal Leonard Mandolin Fake Book: 300 Songs. Pre-order.
- Noting the anniversary of the damage to Bill Monroe's Lloyd Loar mandolin in 1985. Smashed to bits.
- Includes six Lloyd Loar signed F-5s: Belmont Announces New Interactive Vintage Instrument Museum to Open Spring 2017.
- A free public service: Mandolin Cafe's Random Bad Bluegrass Band Name Generator.
- New original music from Daniel Patrick (of the site Mandolins and Beer) on the Cafe MP3 page. Get this free download and 565 other mandolin tracks!
- A recently restored Loar at Carter Vintage Guitars. Steve Gilchrist did the work, everyone's talking about it. More...
- New music from the Spearman Brewers on the Mandolin Cafe MP3 page.
- Information on Matt Flinner's Winter 2017 Online Mandolin Courses.
- Dave Benedict playing his new Apitius Mandolin as an endorser.
- Siminoff Banjo and Mandolin to Sell T-Shirts to Benefit Bluegrass.
- Simple advice a lot more people would do well to heed.
- Aaron Weinstein: Swing 42 with two more fingers than Django and then writes about it in third person.
- Gaze upon a fine new batch of Gilchrist instruments just in the door at Carter Vintage Guitars. And now, even more.
- Jethro Burns and Steve Goodman rip "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" to shreds. Congrats, Chicago Cubs!
- Brilliant: Hal Galper's Master Class - The Illusion of An Instrument.
- Sure, you're the only one thinking about taking all that left over Halloween candy to work. It'll eventually find your waist, don't worry. This will cheer you up: David Benedict's Ghost Busters for Mandolin Mondays #44! Give David your feedback here if you wish.
- Another great Aaron Weinstein video: "Jeepers Creepers."
- Good music and fun going on over at Mandozine Radio.
- Published this date 2009, one of the great reads: True Adventures with the King of Bluegrass: Jimmy Martin.
- 110 of the finest mandolin camps, workshops and clinics for the U.S., Europe.
- Great mandolin educational tool you may not have heard of: "Mandolin Master Class."
- Want to hone your jazz chops? Check out this David Baker perpetual motion exercise.
- Coming November 4: The Complete Guide to the Gibson Mandolins. Pre-order from amazon.com.
- David Benedict's Mandolin Mondays #43 is a great tune: "Bear Island Reel."
- Interesting: Could we one day use music to diagnose disease?
- Aaron Weinstein's new chord melody: "I Won't Dance." Discussed on our forum.
- More interesting finds at Mandolin Brothers, courtesy Allison Jay.
- Looking for a challenging warm-up and practice exercise? This should keep you busy for a few minutes.
- Check out the Northfield Maple Archtop Octave Mandolin in action.
- John Reischman's Up In The Woods is now available as a transcription and we have an interview with the folks that made it all possible.
- David Benedict tackles Bach Double from Partita No. 1 in Bm for Solo Violin for Mandolin Mondays #42.
- Looking for a whole lot of mandolin news not getting served elsewhere on the internet? We have it
- New chord resource coming from Alfred Publishing: Mini Music Guides - Mandolin Chord Dictionary. Pre-order from amazon.
- Some good thoughts to consider in our blog area. You may not be alone: Electric Mandolin - A New Context.
- In response to requests for a better left-hand view, Aaron Weinstein is back with the chord melody for The Music Man.
- Happy birthday to the Mandolin Archive launched on this date (October 15) 2013.
- New in print: John Hartford's Old-Time Fiddle Favorites-For Fiddle and Mandolin.
- Through Oct. 31, a 25% discount on all Bradley Laird mandolin videos with coupon code SAVE25.
- Shhhhh. Don't tell those folks having a stroke over a $35 Blue Chip Pick about cello bows going for $30K and up.
- MP3 #563 on the Cafe MP3 page is new original music by Clark & Zuppardi.
- David Benedict takes on Paul Simon's "The Boxer" for Mandolin Mondays #40. Sublime!
- Another day, another remarkable Aaron Weinstein chord melody on mandolin.
- Another day, another remarkable Aaron Weinstein chord melody on mandolin.
- David Benedict takes on Paul Simon's "The Boxer" for Mandolin Mondays #40. Sublime!
- Coming late this week: a John Reischman, David Benedict and Don Grieser interview about the Up In The Woods transcriptions.
- Celebrating four years in print, Don Julin's best selling Mandolin For Dummies. Very highly recommended.
- Two years ago to the day: Stan Jay, Pioneer of Vintage Instrument Fame Fighting For His Life.
- We provide three convenient ways to acquire the versions of our Mandolin Cafe case stickers. More...
- New from Johnny Staats and Robert Shafer just out: Music From the Mountains.
- Two new Red Diamond July 9 "Roasted" models just in at Morgan Music. Wow.
- New in print from Hal Leonard publishers: Hal Leonard Tenor Guitar Method. Purchase: Elderly | amazon.com
- New music from Johnny Staats and Robert Shafer on the MP3 page.
- Sure to set tongues wagging: Is Bluegrass Dying in DC?
- Play banjo? Join D'Addario's beta tests of new banjo string sets.
- David Benedict tackles Grey Eagle for Mandolin Mondays #40.
- New in print: Mandolin Play-Along: Songs for Beginners. Pre-order from amazon.
- Sierra Hull is IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year. Check out our Sierra interview.
- The Dawg speaks. We listen.
- Lot of great music released on September 30 over the years. See for yourself.
- Seen the carbon fiber Neapolitan mandolins and guitars from Ava Strings of Portugal? Very nice.
- The remarkable story behind Collings' new cases.
- New in print: Bluegrass Breaks: Mandolin. Pre-order: Elderly | amazon
- We'd be remiss if we didn't mention that 22 years ago (a few days ago) 12 year old Chris Thile released his first mandolin album, Leading Off. We'd be hearing more from him after that.
- Bluegrass could use a little more Monroe and less Nashville country (our opinion). Published this date 2000: The Bill Monroe Reader.
- David Benedict gets it. You may not. Blue Monk hits Mandolin Mondays #39.
- New from Hal Leonard: Italian Classics: Mandolin Play-Along Volume 7. Pre-order from amazon.
- Our Ethan Setiawan Checkpoint interview.
- Forgotten Books has announced a reprint of the classic The Bickford Mandolin Method. Available here.
- For your viewing pleasure, and what pleasure 'tis: Vintage Gibson mandola eye candy.
- 2017 Winter Nashville Mandolin Camp dates: Feb. 3-5. Stiernberg, Benedict, Solivan, Campbell.
- New original music from the band Masontown on the Cafe MP3 page.
- David Benedict's Mandolin Mondays #38: Winnie the Pooh!
- The Monroe Mandolin Camp (just over this past weekend) wasted no time in announcing next year's camp: September 13-17, 2017.
- Joe K. Walsh has announced his newest solo project entitled Borderland. Our Joe K. Walsh Interview.
- New music from Ethan Setiawan on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Nice feature on Peghead Nation: Austin Clark F-5 demo by Dan Gabel and Joe K. Walsh.
- Publisher of Bob Carlin's Banjo: An Illustrated History extends huge discount to Cafe.
- U.S. finally gets a retail store carrying high end Italian bowlback mandolins.
- Quit that dreary day job. Make a million dollars building mandolins!
- In the wake of the passing of two former directors, Mandolin Camp North announces their transition to non-profit status.
- New, self-published on amazon: Classical Music Themes for Easy Mandolin Volume One.
- Impressive new Italian collection, and as with many, we can only provide a link: Valentini: Complete Mandolin Sonatas.
- In honor of Bill Monroe's birthday David Benedict tackles The Old Mountaineer for Mandolin Monday #37. Nicely done!
- Happy birthday Bill Monroe, born September 13, 1911 in Rosine, Kentucky. Discussed.
- New music from the band Sweetwater Station on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Elderly Instruments' 45th anniversary t-shirt design contest. Winner gets a free guitar they say.
- From Alfred Publishing comes their Mandolin Chord Encyclopedia on October 2. Pre-order from amazon.com.
- Evan J. Marshall has released a new single available through iTunes, amazon and CDBaby: Beethoven County.
- Published 7 years ago, still roiling the emotions of Monroe sycophants: Bill Graham's Curative Talk For a True Life.
- Sneak peek at the book cover and an ongoing discussion about the transcriptions for John Reischman's Up In The Woods due out in October.
- David Benedict digs into a terrific choro composition for Mandolin Mondays #36. #mandolinmondays
- The 30th Classical Mandolin Society of America Convention convenes November 2-6. Discussed.
- Don Julin has announced the pending launch of his new subscription based mandolin instructional venture, "Mandolins Heal The World." More...
- New in print: Double Stops and Modes for Mandolin.
- Mandolin Monday's #35: David Benedict's The Boat Tune.
- Centerstream Publishers has announced the release of Early Country Music - Mandolin Solos & Licks. Pre-order: amazon.com
- Mandozine Radio moved recently. You can find them on the web right here.
- Every once in awhile we see something unexpected that's new, like this self-published title Czech Hymnbook for Mandolin.
- Brittany Haas, Owen Marshall, Joe K. Walsh have announced the release of their self-titled EP Haas, Marshall, Walsh. More...
- Our money where our mouth is: we're a stage and mandolin contest sponsor for this weekend's Kansas State Fiddling & Picking Championships.
- Joe K. Walsh and Grant Gordy playing "Storm of the Century of the Week."
- Rest in peace: bluegrass vocalist Dale Sledd who sang with the Osborne Brothers has passed.
- New music from Brittany Haas, Owen Marshall and Joe K. Walsh on the Cafe MP3 page.
- So you think you want to be a professional musician: Why So Many Talented Musicians Will Never Be Successful. Lot of truth there.
- Effective immediately we've added additional Classifieds Accessory categories for Mandolin, Guitar and Banjo.
- John Reischman is David Benedict's guest for Mandolin Mondays #34!
- Released this date (Aug. 22) 2000, a recording you should have in your collection: Tone Poems III, featuring Mike Auldridge.
- In case you were wondering: the most heavily trafficked Cafe interview of 2016 to date, Sierra Hull Weighted Mind Interview.
- An interview with one of our favorites folks, Banjo.com's Barry Waldrep, former owner of our first Nugget Mandolin, #159.
- Coming in 2017, Walter Carter's The Mandolin in America: The Full Story from Orchestras to Bluegrass to the Modern Revival. Pre-order.
- Great book, so-so movie, dreadful mandolin playing fakery: Captain Corelli's Mandolin released this date (Aug. 17) 2001.
- From one year ago today (Aug. 16): Mandolin mecca: Tracing Lawrence's decades-long love affair with an old-fashioned instrument.
- David Benedict's Mandolin Monday #33 with Matt Flinner.
- Mountain Home Music has announced a September 23 release for Adam Steffey's, Here To Stay, re-records versions of some of his best known songs and solos. More...
- Looking ahead: dates have been announced for the next Matt Flinner online courses.
- Always free, or not. You choose: Mandolin Cafe case stickers in A or F.
- Time warp: Nickel Creek's This Side released this date (Aug. 13) 2002.
- A good read released this date 2014: Ricky Skaggs' Kentucky Traveler: My Life in Music.
- New hard core traditional bluegrass from Travers Chandler, Archaic.
- This date 2010, early bluegrass you've not seen: Wayne Helfrich interview.
- New world music from Clear Water Drum on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Coming soon. New music from John Reischman, Scott Nygaard, and Sharon Gilchrist: The Harmonic Tone Revealers.
- David Benedict and Don Stiernberg: Mandolin Monday #33, "Night and Day."
- Evan J. Marshall has announced the release of his new EP, Mandolin Mystery Tour, six Beatles tunes arranged for solo mandolin. More...
- Epic, must own released this date 2013: Thile's Bach: Sonatas and Partitas, Vol. 1.
- 1953 Bigsby electric mandolin, discussed.
- For folkies with kids, a new Pete Seeger book for young readers.
- "Have that one washed and brought up to my room."
- New in print from self-publishing author Allan Alexander: Mandolin Delights.
- Serving rubber necking viewers since 2005, just updated: mandolin tattoos.
- #mandolinmondays #31: David Benedict's arrangement of Ship in the Clouds.
- John McEuen has a new Circle style project with plenty of great mandolin content out Sept. 30 entitled Made in Brooklyn.
- Win-Win: good music, good people, good cause: Bill and Kathy Evans Family Benefit.
- Changes in the submission of Classified ads.
- Rest in peace: Don Parmley has passed.
- Congrats Dylan Ferris, winner of the 2nd Annual Monroe Mandolin Camp Scholarship.
- Ralph Stanley's funeral now on YouTube.
- ArtistWorks has announced price increases in subscription rates.
- Unlikely she'll go on a date: David Benedict's Taylor Swift medley. #mandolinmondays
- New bluegrass music from Signal Ridge on the Cafe MP3 page.
- The sound of a brand new Nugget Mandolin.
- Thomas Cassell has announced the release of an EP entitled Mellifluous.
- New music from Mario Poletti: Circolo Elettro Mandolinistico - Electric Mandolin Society.
- Free mandolin lessons really worth their weight? Yep, for sure, from Bradley Laird.
- Best early Saturday mornining post we've seen in awhile: "I'll be back."
- The Andrew Collins Trio has announced the release of their new recording And It Was Good.
- The future of the mandolin is most definitely in good hands with the likes of Thomas Cassell and his brilliant new recording Mellifluous.
- New music from The Andrew Collins Trio on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Mandozine Radio is moving to a new spot on your dial, er, computer. Whatever it is!
- How D'Addario makes 700,000 strings per day.
- Finally, classical music where you know exactly when it's appropriate to applaud. Avi Avital's 15 second concerto for Instagram.
- Happy birthday (July 18) Ricky Skaggs, photo with the early Ralph Stanley band.
- New music from Jeff Scroggins and Colorado on the MP3 page. Read about the new CD.
- David Benedict's Mandolin Mondays #29: "Chief Sitting in the Rain." Nicely done!
- Happy 59th birthday today (July 17) to mandolin legend Mike Marshall!
- Well worth the watch with Bach to boot: American violin maker James Reynold Carlisle.
- Zero mandolin content: Betse & Clarke release one the finest old-time recordings of 2016.
- Title track from the new Tim Connell & Eric Skye recording added to the Cafe MP3 page.
- New mandolin blues music from Lino Muoio on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Chris Thile and Bela Fleck appear to be off to a great tour according to the Omaha, Nebraska newspaper.
- #mandolinmondays #28, simply gorgeous: David Benedict's octave mandolin "Home Sweet Home."
- Joe K. Walsh talks about his new Lawrence Smart mandola in this Peghead Nation video.
- From The Daily Times: Mandolin maestro David Benedict makes a myriad of genres his own.
- New from Accademia Mandolinistica Pugliese: Charles Avison. Concerti Grossi After Scarlatti.
- New music on the Cafe MP3 page by Italy's Accademia Mandolinistica Pugliese.
- The most famous batch of mandolins to come out of the Gibson era were signed and dated July 9, 1923. Among them, Bill Monroe's F-5 that resides at the Country Music Hall of Fame. See them all at Mandolin Archive. Our 2010 interview with CMHoF about Monroe's mandolin. Loar Picture of the Day thread 1 started in 2003. Loar Picture of the Day thread 2 started shortly after Charlie Derrington's passing.
- David Benedict's perfect July 4 video American Pie. #mandolinmondays
- Guy walks into a bar and says, "what's the difference between a banjo and a dinosaur?
- Peghead Nation extends superb savings to Cafe visitors on all instrument lessons.
- Rest in peace: legendary guitarist Scotty Moore has passed.
- Alright! No, Alrite. Wait... Oh, just look at it and you'll figger it out.
- No Mandolin Cafe ball caps in stock for a few months but why not grab one of our cool Banjo Cafe ball caps!
- David Benedict's homage to Kenny Baker with Denver Belle. #mandolinmondays
- New in print from Hal Leonard: First 50 Songs You Should Play on Mandolin.
- Groovy: Mike Compton's Monroe-Style Mandolin Overview at Peghead Nation.
- Ralph Stanley's passing and recognition of his career on CNN.
- Rest in peace: Bluegrass legend Ralph Stanley has passed away. Discussed.
- From two years ago today: The Secret Of The Banjo's Twang Revealed By Nobel Prize-Winning Physicist. There.
- Chatter about the "Celebrity Sale for the Late Bill Monroe, Father of Bluegrass."
- Bluegrass Grammy award a thing of the past? It's what IBMA is warning.
- July 12, British Columbia. Lawrence Nyberg's Making Music: The Art of Instruments.
- Submit now to the 2nd Annual Video Scholarship Competition contest.
- Got mandolin eye candy? Yep. Got banjo eye candy? Yep.
- David Benedict takes on Doc Watson's Deep River Blues in Mandolin Monday #25. Nicely done! ... and difficult.
- Happens July 15-17: New York Mandolin Festival. All-star line-up, includes three mandolin workshops with Wayne Fugate, Mike Marshall and Caterina Lichtenberg.
- From June 18, 2003, our Adam Steffey New Primitive Interview, an epic recording.
- For parents: a new Pete Seeger book out for tweens that's receiving great reviews!
- As we mull over the possible relaunch of "The Pub," our guess is that most readers on the site will go, "huh?" Stay tuned.
- Rest in peace: Don Young, co-founder of National Guitars has passed.
- Groundbreaking for the new International Bluegrass Music Museum set for June 23 in Owensboro, Kentucky.
- Quaff a fine pilsner under the old Gibson Smokestack while snacking on brie and grapes? Soon enough, they say.
- David Benedict sings (and plays mandolin) for Mandolin Mondays #24.
- Midwest Mandolin (and banjo) Camp has announced their dates for 2017, June 1-4 in Olivet, Michigan.
- Matt Flinner scares us. But we still love him.
- Seven years since the release of Circles Around Me, his last studio release, Sam Bush is set to release Storyman on Sugar Hill Records on June 24. More...
- New in print: Home and Away - Original Tunes by Will Patton
- Our thoughts go out to the folks at J. Romero Banjo Co. in Canada who suffered a devastating fire that destroyed their workshop.
- David Benedict's Mandolin Mondays #23 is a tribute to Sweden: Botanisten (The Botanist)!
- Northfield Mandolins has launched a new online magazine they're calling Field Notes. We liked it well enough and think you might too.
- Extreme geekery: we have documented not one, but two vintage Geib cases with orange interiors.
- Information for musicians, dealers and collectors courtesy of League of American Orchestras: New Ivory Rules Support Musical Instruments.
- Rest in peace: legendary fiddler and mandolinist Dave Swarbrick of Fairport Convention has passed.
- From the Chicago Tribune: Don Stiernberg makes the jazz mandolin sing and swing.
- Our Dave Apollon photograph collection on the Forum continues to roll along and it's always great to have the Dawg's contributions!
- Video: Bela Fleck on his favorite moments in Sierra Hull's Weighted Mind project.
- David Benedict's Mandolin Monday's Memorial Day themed version of My Country 'Tis of Thee.
- From the archives. Don't waste valuable time this summer naming your new band: presenting The Random Bad Bluegrass Band Generator.
- Got your free Mandolin Cafe case stickers? Available in A and F, of course.
- New from Hal Leonard publishers: Mandolin Favorites, from Hal Leonard. Purchase: Elderly Instruments | amazon.com
- From this week 2011, our feature interview with Bean Blossom author Thomas A. Adler.
- Cool DVD for traditional minded bluegrass mandolinists from David McLaughlin.
- Most definitely worth your time to read: Banjo Therapy And A Generous Donor.
- The power of a good title: this 2013 image rotation tutorial has over 37K views, likely from people that don't even play mandolin.
- Cool picture: introducing a scrolled version of the Sorensen X series.
- First generation bluegrass mandolin legend Frank Wakefield and guitarist Leon Morris have announced their first joint recording since the 1960s, a project made up of mostly original songs. More...
- A new release from Doyle Lawson coming in July: Burden Bearer.
- Like hot string jazz? Like plectrum banjos? We think you'll enjoy this Cynthia Sayer Interview from the Banjo Cafe.
- David Benedict's Mandolin Monday's #21: Pady Fahy Reels. Nicely done!
- Announcing 1st Annual Alan Bibey Mandolin Camp, August 24-26, Surfside Beach S.C.
- David Grisman helps us start a collection of Dave Apollon photos.
- Sierra Hull on electric mandolin... our life is now complete!
- The mystery of Dave Apollon's blond F-12 mandolin as told by David Grisman.
- The Dawg helps us start to a collection of pictures of the great Dave Apollon!
- Saddened to learn of Michael Holmes' passing in February.
- The Hal Leonard Corporation has announced the publication of 400 Smokin' Bluegrass Mandolin Licks by Eddie Collins. Purchase: Elderly | amazon
- Released one year ago today. Required listening: Mike Marshall & Caterina Lichtenberg: JS Bach.
- You're at work, you're bored, you're distracted. Solution: we have Mandolin Cafe Time Wasters!
- We wouldn't mind attending this: Monroe Mandolin Camp pre-camp opening night jam.
- An important Cafe member leaves us. Rest in peace, Lover. Sad at the loss of our cat that slept in our mandolin case.
- The ladies and gentleman that make up our vintage mandolin postcard collection eagerly await your visit!
- David Benedict's Mandolin Mondays: Theme and Variations on Bury Me Beneath the Willow.
- Discussion about the book Playing Less Hurt: An Injury Prevention Guide for Musicians. Get the book: from amazon.
- Must see: Joe Brent's new Adam Buchwald 5-string fanned fret electric.
- Oh, this is pretty darn cool. Check out all the fantastic stringed instrument artwork created by illustrator Drew Christie.
- It is with great sadness that we share news of the passing of builder Neil Dean.
- D'Addario and Planet Waves NS Micro Soundhole Tuner.
- Introducing the ZETA JM25 Mandolin from the workshop of Steve Carlson, the same man that brought us Flatiron Mandolins long ago.
- Simon Mayor Mandolin Retreat & Concert, Sheffield, England, October 7-9.
- Hold that Mando! Storage Needed! How our Forum members helped an impoverished school classroom meet a very modest request.
- David Benedict Mandolin Mondays post... #19. Ah, Monday feels better now.
- Matt Flinner's Summer Courses just announced. June 27-29.
- Always worth the information: the Elderly Instruments mandolin email blast.
- We catch up with Nashville based mandolinist David Benedict in this feature interview with him.
- They're here! Banjo Cafe ball caps in khaki.
- Stream it if you wish: Johnny Mandolin Radio Show of NYC hosts Sheri Mignano Crawford interview, May 23.
- A bit of John Hartford visits David Benedict's Mandolin Mondays #18.
- Funny: this Don Julin Improv 101 Mandolin Workshop video.
- Our Forum members sharing out their collection of Lloyd Loar images.
- Got vinyl? Forum members share their favorites.
- Changes to the Weber Instruments business model.
- April 26: Happy Birthday to master luthier Steve Gilchrist.
- David Benedict's #17 Mandolin Mondays blog: Three Dog Night "Joy to the World".
- Thinking of blogging a recommended summer reading list. Already know the #1 top all-time best pick.
- Serious historical banjo research. Check out the 1,100+ events in the Banjo Cafe database.
- Hilarious: How to be a Classical Musician.
- Well done! new web site for Clark Mandolins.
- New music from classical mandolin virtuoso Julien Martineau, Paradis Latin.
- Cool, new: Eastwood electric mandocello.
- Published April 21, 2014: Don Julin's Mandolin Exercises For Dummies.
- Information on this year's Chris Henry Mandolin Camp focusing on Bill Monroe.
- Perennial jazz mandolin favorite Don Stiernberg is back with a spectacular new release entitled Good Numbers.
- Nicely done: 2016 San Diego Classical Mandolin Camp promotional video.
- New music from the Brazos Bottom Boys on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Video feature about our good friends Bradford & Franzke Fret Shop in KC.
- April 20: happy birthday to bluegrass legend Doyle Lawson!
- Tickets are now on sale for the IBMA World of Bluegrass, Sept. 27 - Oct. 1 in Raleigh, NC.
- No apologies for banjo content: we too are huge fans of the music of young Kaia Kater.
- Registration for the Nashville Mandolin Camp will occur May 1.
- David Benedict's Mandolin Mondays #16 features a Bob Dylan medley. Nicely done!
- Always worth a second watch: this televised interview with Bill Monroe from 1986.
- New music from The Bills on the MP3 page.
- Our friends at Gold Tone are seeking input on a mandocello prototype. Discussed.
- You don't have to be a banjo player to win a free Gold Tone WL-250 banjo we're giving away at the Banjo Cafe!
- Music worth listening to in its entirety... for those capable. Not everyone will be.
- Roger Siminoff announces his retirement from Siminoff Mandolin & Banjo.
- The Carlo Aonzo Trio has announced the release of A Mandolin Journey.
- New music from young Giri Peters on the Cafe MP3 page. Very nicely done.
- Must read for bluegrass fans: the final in a 3-part series of The Banjos of Earl Scruggs just published.
- Kudos. Well deserved recognition: Barry Mitterhoff to Receive Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Sad to learn of the passing of someone that spent time with us: rest in peace, Mike Pilgrim.
- We're not sure who gpmando25 is or how old he is but he clearly has a bright future ahead!
- He does it again! David Benedict's marvelous Mandolin Mondays has him exploring ragtime.
- Want to upload an image to your Classified ad with us using your iPhone? Now you can.
- We were very sad to learn of the passing of someone that spent time with us. Rest in peace, Lee "Penn" Gwin.
- On April 1 the Mandolin Cafe launched the Banjo Cafe, its companion web site for banjo. Discussed.
- They're giving away a Gold Tone WL-250 banjo soon at the Banjo Cafe. You could win!
- New in print from Haus der Musik Trekel, John Goodin's "The North Georgia Hills."
- From one year ago today, our feature interview with Joe K. Walsh.
- Episode #14 of David Benedict's Mandolin Monday has aired!
- The Festival of Mandolin Chamber Music Presents Jacob Reuven, July 7-10, 2016 in Bellow Falls, VT.
- A remarkable resource for choro fans: the remaining Ernesto Nazareth transcriptions.
- Overheard: Mike Compton and Joe Newberry have a video music project in the works.
- David Benedict's Mandolin Mondays rides again with a little J.S. Bach.
- Great feedback on the current Sierra Hull tour. A concert to not be missed!
- "Come on people now, smile on your brother..." A video to debut at DelFest and you can be in it with Sierra Hull, Justin Moses and Dre Anders.
- Cool throwback photo from 20 years ago: David Grisman with Don Stiernberg and Martin Taylor.
- Happy birthday, David Grisman! What folks had to say last year still applies.
- Congratulations Mike Marshall and Caterina Lichtenberg who announced their marriage on Facebook!
- New music from Wicklow Atwater and the Fallen Flame on the Cafe MP3 page.
- New in print: Celtic World Collection. 40 tunes in standard notation and tablature for mandolin self-published by Brent Robitaille.
- We concur: Things are getting a little funky at David Benedict's Mandolin Mondays.
- Take popular music from Nordic Countries, mix with a fresh attitude and rhythm based on Brazilian choro and samba. That's Nordic Choro! More...
- Sad. The Dawg says goodbye to fellow musical friend Fred Weisz.
- Monday, our favorite day of the week as long as there's a David Benedict Mandolin Mondays post.
- California Coast Music Camp announces two seperate week-long camps in July with Tim Connell and Paul Kotapish respectively as mandolin instructors.
- We are deeply saddened at the passing of our friend Louis Meyers, former head of Folk Alliance International.
- A great read: How Marshall's Northfield Mandolins Became an International Bluegrass Favorite.
- New in print from Mel Bay: International Mandolin Method by Philip John Berthoud.
- Fill out a survey at Weber and get a chance to win $5,000 credit towards a custom build.
- David Grisman trivia lovers: get it???
- David Benedict's newest Mandolin Mondays includes a free music download of his most recent recording.
- Duo Acquavella presents their new release, along with the Bach Collegium San Diego, Gimo-Samling: 18th Century Sonatas and Triosonatas for Mandolin. More...
- Now out: Frank Solivan's Family, Friends & Heroes.
- Two Old Hippies Announces the Retirement of Bruce Weber Sr. as General Manager of Weber Fine Acoustic Instruments.
- Monroe Mandolin Camp 2016 has announced tracks for old-time mandolin and bluegrass banjo.
- Marla Fibish plays Parnell’s March/Miss Walsh for this Peghead Nation video.
- Add carbon fiber availability to the list of bowlback mandolins. Ava Strings of Portugal. Thanks to Dave McCarty for this find.
- Adam Steffey band The Boxcars have a new album out soon: Familiar With The Ground.
- Music writer Bill Graham returns after a long hiatus with his feature story Rarities and Lutherie Tango at Gryphon Stringed Instruments.
- New music from Spain's mandolin and guitar duet Hermanos Cubero on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Who doesn't like a girl in red pants? Stuff we find on this site... even we didn't know about: meet Olga Egorova. Girl got big chops. Fun.
- Avi Avital is making a tour through the U.S. Dates on his web site (scroll waaaaaay down).
- It's time for a new edition of David Benedict's Mandolin Mondays, episode #9.
- David Grisman has announced the release of Del & Dawg - Live!, available from Acoustic Disc.
- Get your full Pokeman geek on with David Benedict's always entertaining Mandolin Mondays.
- Coming in March, our feature interview Irish mandolin player and teacher Marla Fibish.
- Must investigate this further: Frank Solivan's Riff of the Week YouTube series.
- Pix of this past weekend's Folk Alliance International conference in Kansas City. It was a madhouse!
- February 18 is the new July 9 (copyright, Bradley Klein), courtesy Tony Williamson. Well done!
- March 26: the Metamora Mandolin Gathering.
- February 18 is the new July 9 (copyright, Bradley Klein), courtesy Tony Williamson. Well done!
- March 26: the Metamora Mandolin Gathering.
- New Gilchrists from Carter Vintage Guitars.
- A chance to win a free instrument for Facebook members: Galway, Ireland's Kieran Moloney Musical Instruments is giving away a chance to win by simply Liking and Sharing their store page.
- Bradley Klein's commentary Tarantino's Hateful Eight Destroys Museum Martin.
- Looking ahead to Fall, a new traditional mandolin camp led by Chris Henry.
- A traditional straight ahead bluegrass camp for traditionalists! 2nd Annual Old School Bluegrass Camp, Ontario, Canada, July 3-8.
- Reminder: Mike Compton Mandolin Workshop in Kansas City we're helping sponsor February 18, 2:00 - 5:00 p.m. Bradford & Frankze Fret Shop.
- If real, and appears it is... police report from the smashing of Bill Monroe's mandolins.
- It's once again time for the delightful contributions of David Benedict and his Mandolin Mondays. Nicely done!
- New electric mandolin jazz from the band 4 on 6 just added to the Cafe MP3 page.
- New music from the DelFest band contest winner The Unseen Strangers on the Cafe MP3 page.
- 16th Annual Carlo Aonzo Manhattan Workshop. Registration is open.
- Published this date 2012, one of our best, ever: Chris Thile in London Interview.
- The new Northfield Deluxe Airloom fiberglass case: reviewed.
- Get some serious mandolin jazz on: the band 4 on 6 releases So Long, Mario.
- The 2016 San Diego Classical Mandolin Camp, led by classical mandolinist, composer and educator Chris Acquavella, will take place July 25-31, 2016 at the centrally located Crowne Plaza Hotel. More...
- Mandolin Mondays #5 with David Benedict. This week it's The Evolution of TV Sitcom Theme Songs.
- Getting new chops: check out the cool new Joe Walsh video at Peghead Nation.
- New music from Evan Marshall & Brian Oberlin on the Cafe MP3 page from Twin Mandolin Slingers.
- We're really enjoying David Benedict's Mandolin Mondays posts.
- A new instructional video from Scott Napier: Mandolin Original.
- Caterina Lichtenberg's ArtistWorks School of Classical Mandolin has officially launched, and we have the story.
- Information about the 2016 Classical Mandolin Society Convention to be held in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania.
- New from Buddy Merriam in print: Buddy Merriam Back Roads Mandolin, Vol. Two.
- Our summary of this past weekend's 2016 Winter NAMM Show in Anaheim, California, one of the craziest weekends of the year.
- New from Acoustic Oasis: Hi-Def Bluegrass Reunion Deluxe.
- Discussion around the new Pava F-5 mandolin coming out of the Ellis workshop.
- Very well done. This David Benedict Beatles Medley in our blogs.
- All about San Diego Classical Mandolin Camp.
- New solo Bach cello music from Clinton Ross on the Cafe MP3 page. Well done!
- Tweaks to the Mandolin Cafe's site-wide navigation summarized.
- After a year of tours, awards, and acclaim for Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen, bandleader Frank Solivan keeps the pace with a new solo release, Family, Friends & Heroes, available March 4 on Compass Records. More...
- Music Camps North (Mandolin Camp North and others) name Phil Zimmerman Camp Director.
- Mandozine Radio has recently moved and needs listeners. More....
- New old-time music from Fred Keller on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Required reading: The Danger of Genius: Bill Monroe and Tony Rice.
- New original music from Ed Bernard on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Like to learn a piece of music you heard on YouTube but the notes are flying by too fast? We have the solution, and it couldn't be simpler.
- A toast to the greatest banjo player ever: Earl Scruggs was born on this date (Jan. 6) 1924.
- From this date 2015: our Frank Solivan interview.
- No surprise our most heavily trafficked story of 2015 was Chris Thile Transitioning to Full-Time Host of A Prairie Home Companion.
- Our favorite book, ever, published Jan. 3, 2012: Satan Is Real, The Ballad of the Louvin Brothers.
- New: Dick Sheridan's Fiddle Tunes for Mandolin.
- Funny: If Movies With "Man" In The Title Were Actually About "Mandolins."
- A good story: California Bluegrass Association is hurtling towards the donation of a dozen mandolins for promising young musicians.
- We're long into planning out new features and interviews for 2016, but one thing we're already sure of: we've truly entered The Golden Age of Online Music Education.
- "Pssst... hey meester. You want buy mandolin? Cheap, I make you deal!"