Mandolin Cafe Front Page Archive
If you missed something from the Mandolin Cafe front page you'll find it here. Since some of the information we link to is external please understand that as these links go bad they will be removed.
2015 Front Page Highlights
- "Pssst... hey meester. You want buy mandolin? Cheap, I make you deal!"
- 121 of the best 2016 mandolin workshops and camps all mapped out for you. No, literally.
- Got your very own Mandolin Cafe case stickers shown on this page? We provide three ways to get them free, or not!.
- A good resource: this comprehensive Spotify playlist shared on our forum.
- An interesting short video, nicely filmed: Birth of a Luthier.
- New Christmas music from Kujacoustic (Massimo Gatti with Michele Pucci): Nadal. Hear a free cut on our news release.
- Oh my... first Clark archtop tenor guitar.
- Good advice for wanting to play better, from Brad Laird: A Table Needs Three Legs.
- Dumb: women takes selfie on plane, uploads to social media. No it ISN'T an alien over your shoulder in the photo, it's a CELLO case.
- We're in the middle of the holiday spirit and have our definitive mandolin Christmas recording list for your viewing pleasure along with some of our favorite recordings shown below. Recording art and links will rotate every time you revisit or refresh this page.
- New Christmas music from Massimo Gatti and Michele Pucci on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Best camp poster of the year, hands down. 2016 Monroe Mandolin Camp. Camp will include trad bluegrass banjo and old-time mandolin tracks.
- New series of Mike Marshall videos on the Northfield Artist Series page. Nicely done.
- Looking ahead to 2016 we have over 90 mandolin workshops and camps mapped, literally.
- New in print: The BIG BOOK of Octave Mandolin Chords.
- Like it: the Eastwood semi-hollow body tenor guitar. So many instruments, so little time.
- Brian Oberlin does country music far better than country music does itself: 3 Gigs of Memories. Nicely done. Real music.
- Great announcement about donations to the CBA Youth Instrument Lending Library keep rolling in.
- Share the wealth: an acoustic jazz Kickstarter for John Posey (guitar) and Alex Heflin (mandolin).
- Eva Holbrook is hosting an online performance and discussion featuring Weber Mandolins, Dec. 16.
- Caterina Lichtenbergs's School of Mandolin launches spring 2016.
- Catching up with Jamie Masefield: Monkton Artist Finds Resonance Between Jazz And Masonry.
- Matt Flinner hosts a free online lesson Dec. 12 for those of you eyeing his online workshops.
- Compass Records has announced a January 22 release for the Matt Flinner Trio recording Traveling Roots. More...
- Happy birthday today (Dec. 7) to bluegrass mandolin legend Bobby Osborne!
- New original music from Jason Bailey on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Marshall/Lichtenberg Google Holiday Hangout archived on YouTube. Announced: Caterina's ArtistWorks School of Classical Mandolin.
- Kudos to Cafe member Robert Grassi for donatiion of a Kentucky mandolin to the CBA Youth Instrument Lending Library #hero.
- Inventory clearance: $2.00 off the price of red Mandolin Cafe ball caps.
- Tony Rice. John Carlini. Live, just once, but now you can hear it. Need we say more?
Tony Rice. John Carlini. Live, just once, but now you can hear it. Need we say more?
- Tony Rice. John Carlini. Live, just once, but now you can hear it. Need we say more?
- Our thanks to our friends at The Loar who just donated a mandolin to the CBA Youth Instrument Lending Library. #hero
- New music from the Brazom Bottom Boys on the Cafe MP3 page.
- A Gilchrist oddity from years gone by.
- An update directly from Don Julin on the end of the Don Julin & Billy Strings duo.
- Updated: our Camps & Workshops page. 76 events extending into late 2016.
- One month free at Peghead Nation: Monroe Mandolin, Beginning Mandolin, The Advancing Mandolinist, or any of their 20 courses. Use promo code MandoCafe at checkout.
- New music from long-time California bluegrass mandolin man Butch Waller: Waltz Collection.
- Kudos to David Harvey and Gibson for their donation of an F-9 to the CBA Youth Instrument Lending Library.
- For their Youth Instrument Lending Library: California Bluegrass Association Seeks Instruments for Kids.
- Monroe Mandolin Camp has posted next year's dates: September 14-18, 2016.
- Our Bradley Klein produced feature interview Looking Forward with Sarah Jarosz.
- Former mandolin builder John Garrity has passed away. Information we have available at this time.
- Jazz mandolin great Paul Glasse is now accepting students for online private lessons.
- Share the good: California Bluegrass Association Seeks Instruments for Kids. Won't you help an outstanding program?
- Happy 20th birthday to us. No longer a teenager. Mandolin Cafe was launched this date, November 18, 1995.
- New in DVD and Instant Download from Homespun: Radim Zenkl's Mandolin Primer. Purchase: on Demand | DVD
- Published two years ago, about a favorite: A Visit To Retrofret Vintage Guitars.
- Pictures of first known Gibson H-2 snakehead mandola. Photos courtesy James Condino.
- Breedlove releases formal company statement on their suspension of mandolin building in the U.S.
- New in hi-def from our friends at Acoustic Oasis: Retrograss Deluxe David Grisman, John Hartford and Mike Seeger.
- In builder news: Breedlove to Outsource Mandolin Production overseas in the near future.
- Check out this Kickstarter for The Mandolin Omnibook, a jazz transcription collection.
- The Punch Brothers surprise fans by announcing a November 20 release for the EP The Wireless. Pre-orders from the Punch Brothers store receive free MP3 download. More...
- Beautiful instrument, spectacular photography and you have a delicious bit of eye candy in the new Weber Yellowstone Cutaway.
- Gibson snakehead mandola... did one ever exist? That's what's being discussed.
- Take a Mayberry break: on this date 1963 The Dillards appeared in the episode Briscoe Declares for Aunt Bee.
- Mandolin great Radim Zenkl is now offering online group lessons and has an instructional video on Homespun to be released in the near future.
- Interesting, and... well, fast: Speed-gilding a mandola with 23k gold leaf by James Curtis.
- Rest in peace. Innovative banjo legend Bill Keith has passed away. #sad. Discussed.
- The Mandolin Store has announced they're giving away $10,000 worth in mandolins this November. More....
- A year after vintage instrument pioneer Stan Jay lost his battle with Mantle Cell Lymphoma: Mandolin Brothers Seeking New Owner.
- GHS Strings extends their NitroPack packaging to all mandolin, banjo, guitar sets and more.
- We stand ready for taste testing, please: Blue Mountain Barrel House's Mandolin Beer.
- News that's good to hear, confirmed with the builder: Apitius Mandolins Back in Business.
- Take an Andy break: on this date 1966 The Dillards appeared in the episode The Darling Fortune.
- Actually pretty interesting: A Guitar Geek's Guide to Mandolins.
- Have to like input from the source: Bill LaFleur, the author of Beatles for Solo Mandolin weighs in and answers a few questions on our Forum.
- Clue: time waster. Answer: Mandolin Cafe's Criss-Cross puzzle. Likely not a regular feature.
- Happy 12th birthday to The Mandolin Archive.
- In the works from Acoustic Oasis: Tony Rice & John Carlini, Live in Cashiers, NC.
- Interesting, one of the most amazing videos ever, published this date 2008: banjo legend Eddie Adcock plays banjo while undergoing brain surgery.
- What took us so long? Just added our first tenor guitar track to the MP3 page from UK tenor/banjo Old-Time duo Clark & Zuppardi. Their music is fine!
- Now serving 525 downloadable mandolin MP3s and a streaming podcast: Mandolin Cafe MP3 page.
- If you can't find something to learn here...
- Dumb: Royal Philharmonic Orchestra re-enacts shower scene from Psycho. #timewaster
- New music from the Compass Rose Sextet on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Check out the new Sorensen AX mandolin. We totally dig a departure from the norm.
- France's popular Mandolins de Lunal will not be held in 2015. Slated to move out of the city.
- Congratulations Jesse Brock, 2015 IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year.
- Sierra Hull has shared a sneak peak at the album art for Weighted Mind, coming early 2016.
- Weber Fine Acoustic Instruments offers free color upgrade for October and November.
- Everyone should have a little more Simon Mayor music in their life. New double CD coming October.
- Ready... set... Opens for registration Oct. 1, usually sells out in 24 hours: Nashville Mandolin Camp.
- Dream vacation: a week in Venice, Italy, immersed in mandolin. The The Mandolin Academy in Venice.
- A new trend? We can only hope. Air Canada has just announced a 50% off price for musicians purchasing a seat for their instrument.
- Straight Up Strings guitar strings debut at IBMA's World of Bluegrass in Raleigh, NC, with demos at the IBMA Business Conference Trade Show. More...
- Mandocello players get their due with the publication of The BIG BOOK of Mandocello Chords, by Harvey Reid.
- IBMA has published a video clarifying their awards process.
- Happy 7th anniversary today to Ted Eschliman's Getting Into Jazz Mandolin.
- Good. Musicians can now legally sing Happy Birthday without violating copyright claims. Sheesh.
- Watcha looking for? We can help you find it.
- Available for pre-order: Perfectest Herald, the new release from 9 Horses.
- The new recording The Waking by Noctambule reviewed in the online magazine FolkWords.
- Spencer Capier has released Musical Chairs, new traditional fiddle tunes, hymnstwists, and timeless classics in a new light.
- New music from Spencer Capier on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Walnut Valley mandolin contest winners.
- New music from Joe Brent and 9 Horses on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Available for pre-order: Perfectest Herald the new 9 Horse's recording featuring Joe Brent
- Caught on tape: women steals MV400-2 Flame Violin, priced at $2,616 Canadian from Fantasie Music of Halifax, Nova Scotia. Suspect appears around 4:00 mark, theft starts near 9:00.
- Mandolin Cafe ball caps in red and khaki.
- Congrats to Daniel Bieg, winner of the Old Wave mandolin raffle announced late August.
- Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen in a special benefit concert October 23, Morristown, NJ.
- Good bit of content: we just added over 150 tunes to the Cafe's iTunes MP3 Podcast.
- Sept. 13: happy birthday, Bill Monroe.
- Rest in peace, Bill Monroe. September 9, 1996. #lonesome
- From a year ago: our Hot Rize interview with Tim O'Brien. Still a great read!
- 93-year-old North Georgia mandolinist still plays with youthful vigor.
- Mandolin Cafe favorite Rhonda Vincent has announced the release of a new recording of Christmas songs aptly entitled Christmas Time.
- New Celtic music from the band Velocipede on the Cafe MP3 page.
- New bluegrass music from The Dauphinais Brothers on the Mandolin Cafe MP3 page.
- Buckle seatbelt before viewing: Mr Sun's The People Need Light from Peghead Nation.
- We are saddened to learn of the passing of Walt Kuhlman of Gypsy's Instruments, a kind soul and long-timer supporter of this site.
- Cool old throwback Osborne Brothers publicity photo: "Don't tell this guy."
- The Mandolin Cafe's new site-wide navigation has been announced and is in production use.
- Bill Bussmann Old Wave A Model Mandolin could be yours for only $5 as part of Pickamania!
- Northfield Instruments announces a new line of mandolins resulting the the Northfield Artist Series of mandolins. More...
- Interesting, never before seen by most: early truss rod instructions from Gibson.
- New music from the Rural Kings on the Cafe MP3 page. Get this and hundreds of other free mandolin downloads by subscribing to our MP3 podcast.
- Mandolin Cafe and Rick Frydman present Hot Rize in concert, Oct. 15 in Liberty Hall, Lawrence, Kans.
- Published this date 2010, our Jody Stecher interview.
- Get your minor 7b5 on. Good article from JazzMando.com.
- California Bluegrass Association launches a nice new web site.
- Somewhere there's a left-handed tenor player. We have their back.
- The Mandolin - A History, funded! Discussed | » Purchase
- Like: this custom fretless mandolin built by a member of our forum.
- Happy 70th birthday today (Aug. 21) to stringed instrument legend George Gruhn!
- Bluegrass news: Adam Steffey and Will MacMorran Join East Tennessee State University Faculty.
- A new camp that's pretty much off the radar you may not have heard of (we hadn't): Camp Backup, Hancock, NH.
- Some rare footage: Bill Monroe and Red Rector, twin mandolins.
- Very, nicely done, very professional. We're really impressed with Adam Tanner's The Shuffle of the Pick - 12 Old-Time Fiddle Tunes available exclusively from iTunes.
- They're here! Khaki Mandolin Cafe caps in the same style and fit as red: » Order
- From Bradley Laird: Blue Grass Family Band Song Book.
- Where the Mandolin Cafe is based... Mandolin mecca: Tracing Lawrence's decades-long love affair with an old-fashioned instrument.
- The Chicago Choro Club Classes at The Musical Offering with Don Stiernberg.
- New from Hal Leonard Publishers: Mandolin Play-Along Volume 6 - Rock Hits.
- Happens August 28-30, the annual Klamath River SwingJam.
- From this date 2012: our feature article An Evening with The Andy Statman Trio.
- Finder of the stolen violin interviewed: Pittsburgh Violinmaker Discovers Lost Stradivarius.
- New original music from Benjamin Teague on the Cafe MP3 page. Get this and over 500 other mandolin tracks available for download or streaming!
- Lace Music Products announces a new pickup just for mandolins.
- Improvisation in Classical Mandolin, an interesting blog worth your time.
- Don't believe in reincarnation? You'd better. Short three blocks from Mandolin Cafe headquarters.
- A sad fact confirmed: there are indeed counterfeit strings being sold in the market.
- New from Simon Mayor: Vol. I-II Great Tunes For Mandolin.
- D'Addario announces their Players Circle Rewards Program.
- Our builder database launched this day in 1996 with only 50 listings!
- Man walks about neighborhood nude with knife before taking up serious weapon: 5-string banjo. #bizarre
- A bonus: Free K&K Upgrade on Weber Orders During August.
- Final Rule - Musical Instruments, from the U.S. Dept. of Transportation.
- Dailey & Vincent's 10 essential bluegrass albums.
- Rest in peace: our John McGann interview was published four years ago today (July 24). Michael Eck explores a rhythmic approach like no other in The Caleb Klauder Interview.
- A Kickstarter Campaign for The Mandolin - A History. We'd really like to see this succeed. Discussed.
- News we like: JazzMando.com reporting Ovation to resume U.S. production.
- Very nicely done: Joe K. Walsh and Scott Nygaard with a Hank Williams song.
- New aesthetic package and pricing for Weber.
- Looking ahead: John Reischman leads an all-star staff for the 2015 Walker Creek Fall Music Camp.
- New music from The Slocan Ramblers on the Cafe MP3 page.
- A great project finishing up in Lansing, Michigan: Elderly Instruments Mural Completed in Old Town.
- Happy birthday (July 18), Ricky Skaggs. "You can't hurt ham!"
- We rarely get to say it... OK, we've never said it but now can: Ugandan Bluegrass Cover.
- A spirited discussion out of our announcement of the new Beatles chord solo book.
- Marla Fibish and Bruce Victor, as Noctambule, have announced the release of The Waking, a new recording featuring vocals, mandolin, mandola, Greek bouzouki, accordion, cittern, tenor guitar and 6, 10, and 12-string guitars. More....
- More Nashville Summer NAMM Show highlights from our friends at JazzMando.com.
- Fom the Summer NAMM Show in Nashville, Tenn. courtesy JazzMando.com: Gordon Roberts with Ashbury mandolins, zouks & tenors.
- Big-Tent Classical Mandolin, a blog by August Watters worthy of your review, author of the new Exploring Classical Mandolin: Technique & Repertoire.
- Special correspondent Bill Conger catches up with mandolin superstar Sierra Hull as she receives only the second ever Blue Blaze Award at the 44th Annual Smithville Fiddlers' Jamboree and Crafts Festival in Smithville, Tennessee. More...
- July 9, 1923. Should be a national holiday for mandolin players, the signing date of the most famous batch of Loar signed Gibsons.
- From the Cafe archives, speaking of the Louvins: why Satan Is Real is one of the greatest music biographies of all time.
- Happy birthday to a legend: Charlie Louvin (born Charlie Elzer Loudermilk) of the Louvin Brothers was born in Henagar, Alabama, July 7, 1927.
- Chris Thile will transition to full-time host of A Prairie Home Companion in the next year. Bradley Klein confirmed the rumors. More...
- We currently have two feature interviews under developement. Secret, and we can't name them, but here are a couple of hints: Sarah and Caleb.
- Lost and found 1916 Gibson F2 - Need input. Should be interesting. Interesting discussion.
- They're shooting for a Guinness Book of Records largest mandolin ensemble, August 4, Galax, VA.
- From the web site Built in Boise, well deserved praise for Clark Mandolins.
- New music by the Colorado's Chain Station on the Mandolin Cafe MP3 page.
- Gryphon Strings has launched an exceptionally nice new web site.
- Gorgeous: Midnight on the Water. Reischman, Gilchrist, Nygaard.
- Get heard! Three Ways our Forum Allows You to Share Your Music.
- The Inaugural Monroe Mandolin Camp Annual Video Scholarship Competition.
- JazzMando covered this already so we're happy to point to them. Sierra Hull on tenor guitar, and oh... my... Buckle up. Girl has big chops!
- Jesse Cobb's Kickstarter campaign in support of his new album.
- A very good read "...sound is the most healing quality of anything in human culture." RIP, Ornette Coleman.
- Into ukuleles? Then you should head right over to the terrific new site ditson-ukulele.com.
- Amusing. We feared this might happen: they're breaking out in Renaissance speak on our forum.
- Lots of great people work at Gibson, have worked at Gibson, got fired by Gibson. This article is not about them.
- Looking to get into a little Bach? Check out what This Day in History returns.
- Announced: Bluegrass in Baltimore Book Release Party. We're reading it, great book!.
- Bert Deivert & Copperhead Run are out with a new recording entitled Blood in My Eyes for You.
- Maybe you've seen them, maybe not: Two essential fake books for swing and jazz players.
- The Ger Mandolin Orchestra makes its New York debut June 18 as part of KulturfestNYC, an international celebration of Jewish arts and culture. More...
- Watch from home: Monroe Mandolin Mondays with Mike Compton on Concert Window. Includes guests and possible question and answer sessions.
- Free mandolin. But wait, there's a hitch. You must be the owner and must be able to identify it.
- Dawg speaks: ask a question, sometimes you get the coolest answer ever!
- Everything you need to know about Geib cases.
- A remarkable story we missed when new: Mandolin Mike to say goodbye to Nashville.
- Mike Marshall and Caterina Lichtenberg have released JS Bach. Very highly recommended.
- See the photo: Staten Island's Stan Jay Way honoring the Mandolin Brothers founder.
- View: Gibson's application to trademark the F-5 body shape. Discussed.
- Belated congrats to Chris Thile and Claire Coffee on the birth of their son.
- Pssst, hey you... "Isn't it Time You Listened to Bach on Mandolin?
- Rest in peace, B.B. King. Discussed by our Forum members.
- New music from the mandolin & guitar duet Sycamore Muse on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Grab a Sam Bush Revival movie poster here.
- The Mandolin Symposium celebrates its twelfth year of bringing together instructors and students from around the globe to study the mandolin and its music at the beautiful campus of the University of Santa Cruz in California June 22-26, 2015.
- Coming in June, the book Bluegrass in Baltimore.
- Thinking outside the box: meet the new Sorensen FX Blade mandolin.
- Glad he came out OK! Oklahoma man plays the mandolin to save his life during brain surgery.
- Looking back, May 9, 2011: Part I of our big Chris Thile and Michael Daves Interview.
- Sharknado? No. Jaws? Close. Our pals at JazzMando.com present Mando-Sharc.
- Everything you need to know about The Swannanoa Gathering Mando and Banjo Week.
- New from Tim O'Brien: Dance You Hippy Dance.
- New music from the old-time string band McMule on the Cafe MP3 page.
- In Nashville: IBMA names Paul J. Schiminger as the organization's Executive Director.
- Registration has ended in our ArtistWorks giveaway of a year's subscription to their Bluegrass School. Congratulations to Richard P. in California!
- The creative work of luthier Marty Jacobson reviewed by JazzMando.com.
- Widely discussed on our forum: U.S. Trademark of Fern Inlay Awarded to Gibson.
- Marilynn Mair is out with a new release of mostly original works this week entitled Madrugada.
- New Brazilian music from Marilynn Mair on the Mandolin Cafe MP3 page.
- Marilynn Mair is out with a new release of mostly original works this week entitled Madrugada.
- New Brazilian music from Marilynn Mair on the Mandolin Cafe MP3 page.
- Those preaching the gospel of Monroe don't like reading this kind of thing. Now that's bluegrass!
- Fun video: Marla Fibish and her 1922 Gibson A model mandolin.
- Looking ahead, we've loaded the Cafe's Workshops & Camps page with over 80 of the best Spring, Summer and Fall mandolin camps and more being added daily.
- Second Annual Monroe Mandolin Camp registration is open and over half filled. Uber-cool camp poster!
- Looking ahead, the 2015 Targhee Music Camp in Alta, Wyo. will be held August 3-6.
- Always fun when we're asked to ID their grandfather's mandolin. This one has us collectively stumped so far.
- Mike Compton, Casey Campbell and Sierra Hull play Rawhide at Carter Vintage Carters in Nashville. Buckle seat belt before viewing.
- One of the mandolin community's busiest and brightest stars, we catch up with Berklee's mandolin instructor for this Joe K. Walsh Interview.
- Ladies and gentlemen: it's time for the annual Mandolin Symposium with David Grisman and Mike Marshall!
- JazzMando.com feature on the work of luthier Marty Jacobson.
- What was supposed to be a book on Irish composer Turlough O'Carolan (but never happened) finally makes it partly online: The O'Carolan Project. Use as you see fit!
- It's out and it's fine: the first peek trailer for the documentary Revival: The Sam Bush Story.
- Rest in peace: John McGann, April 6, 2012. Our final interview with John.
- April 4, 1999, anniversary of the launch of the first Mandolin Cafe Forum.
- Heard through the grapevine: Aaron Weinstein to start chord melody book for a major publisher.
- Our April Fool's fun: Report Substantiates North Korea Musical Instrument Concerns.
- One of our favorite interviews from this date 2011: 10 Questions For Dagger Gordon.
- In Owensboro: Kentucky commits $5 million to fund the building of new International Bluegrass Music Center.
- Like what we're seeing so far: a brand new web site for The Mandolin Store.
- Aaron Weinstein is back with Lady Be Good... and oh my. Oh my.
- We have winners in our Saturday haiku contest, announced of course in haiku. We had a tied so two members receive a free Mandolin Cafe ball cap.
- Happy 70th to David Grisman. See what a few of his friends had to say!
- David Grisman tribute song performed by Tim O'Brien and Andy Statman.
- Got a Forum account? Help us wish David Grisman a very happy 70th birthday!
- Two favorite David Grisman features on the Cafe: David Grisman and Don Stiernberg Discuss Jethro Burns Legacy and our two-part David Grisman Interview.
- Ridiculously good: Aaron Weinstein chord melodies (shaking our head).
- Happy 12th birthday today (March 19) to our friends at JazzMando.com!
- Published on this date 2012, one of our favorite features: Great Vintage Mandolins Under $1,000.
- New music from David Benedict and Michael Moore: Each by Side. Sample the entire recording on the Cafe MP3 page.
- New from David Benedict and Michael Moore: Each by Side. Listening to previews of the entire recording on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Listening to Mozart may boost brain power. But, but... what about other kinds of music???
- No one ever say it to you? Just wait. They will. They will. "I really like your banjo playing!"
- Cool Jethro Burns photo sent to us recently.
- Coming April, Mike Marshall and Caterina Lichtenberg's J.S. Bach. See the track listing.
- New music from Taarka on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Outstanding new music from Taarka. Very highly recommended. Pre-order.
- Information about the 2015 5th Annual Richter Mandolin Camp for the Rest of Us.
- Fans of classical mandolin would do well to listen to more Julien Martineau (video).
- New music from the Munier Mandolin and Guitar Orchestra: Illumination.
- Published one year ago, one of our favorite articles about Nashville's hottest spot: A Visit to Carter Vintage Guitars.
- A new Lloyd Loar mandolin discovered and discussed right here on our Forum.
- Now shipping, our new "A" model Mandolin Cafe Case Stickers. Get yours free, or not. You decide. Here's how.
- New music from the Duncan Symonds Trio on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Watch: Joe Walsh & Courtney Hartman live on Concert Window.
- Still an interesting read five years to the day: 10 Questions for Mick Buck of the Country Music Hall of Fame about Bill Monroe's iconic mandolin.
- Happy birthday to a legend of mandolin: Dave Apollon, born February 23, 1897 in Kiev, Russia.
- They're here! Our new "A" model Mandolin Cafe case stickers have arrived. Get yours free.
- Glad to read Modern Mandolin Quartet is still performing after the passing of Paul Binkley.
- New music from Ruth Roshan on the MP3 page.
- 9:00 p.m. (ET) Sunday: stream the Sierra Hull, Mike Compton, Casey Campbell Workshop.
- Disclaimer: true, we've played mandolin while driving a car, but never a trumpet.
- Think it's just a few familiar name brand mandolins made in China? From Made-In-China.com, a site connecting buyers with Chinese products.
- Wish it was April 1 and our idea: RyanAir Unveil New Airplane Roof Racks For Musical Instruments.
- New original music from Los Hermanos Cubero on the Cafe MP3 page.
- But wait, those old Italian violins aren't special, right? New study begs to differ.
- Viral for a mandolin video at over 12K views: Inside Collings Mandolins.
- From February 10, 2010: our Mike Marshall Interview. Brilliant (him, not us).
- A picture of Lloyd Loar that is new to us. Cool stuff.
- New music from Bill Stanley & Mountain Laurel on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Still checking over but our new tenor guitar & banjo chord library is now available.
- Three years ago today our Chris Thile in London Interview took a surprising turn.
- Near Ontario: The Old School Bluegrass Camp Launches This Summer, July 5-10.
- Austin Mandolin Orchestra's 15 Minutes of Fame concert. Definitely out of the ordinary.
- But... wait, what's this? This one doesn't look like that other one.
- Something we can get behind: a discussion posting pictures of just mandolin headstocks.
- We read it right here: the Gibson smokestack scheduled for demolition gets a reprieve.
- New old-time music from the Brazos Bottom Boys on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Looking ahead: Brian Oberlin leads the mandolin track at this year's Julian Music Camp, April 8-12.
- Check out the way cool electric mandolins made by Western Instruments in Canada. Slick!
- Deutsche Grammophon announces a Feb. 25 release for Avi Avital's project, Vivaldi. More...
- Nicely done, this short Collings feature film This Built America.
- A talented new builder/designer stepping outside the box and having fun: Celentano Woodworks.
- New: selling briskly as a download at the moment, Caterina Lichtenberg's The Art of the Tremolo.
- Time on your hands this weekend? Check out just the mandolin titles from Mandolin Cafe On Demand.
- Cool: we dig Carrie Rodriguez and caught this YouTube clip of her playing electric mandolin.
- Another new cut from Punch Brothers upcoming album just shared by Chris Thile: My Oh My.
- One of our community members has a nice NPR Tiny Desk Concert Contest submission worth a listen.
- A favorite long-time forum discussion gets a cool update: Post a Picture of a Cat Sleeping in your Case.
- Our feature article with the leader of the Grammy Nominated Bluegrass Album Cold Spell: the Frank Soliivan Interview.
- Tim O'Brien's digital label announced: Short Order Sessions.
- Published 3 yrs. ago today: Satan Is Real, The Ballad of the Louvin Brothers, our favorite music biography. Ever. If you're only going to read one book in 2015, make it this one.
- Bill Monroe and Charlie Derrington discuss the return of his Lloyd Loar mandolin post-repair.
- The latest USDOT air travel with instruments guidelines.
- Registration is now open for the 2015 Monroe Mandolin Camp in Kingston Springs, Tenn., September 9-13.
- Least visited Mandolin Cafe page of 2014: our Last page on the internet.
- 2014 Cafe stats: 120,502 forum posts, 10,920 threads, 4,145 new members, 10,290 new ads, 24,104 ad replies.
- Check out the 2015 events on our Workshops/Camps page.
- Another live performance on the Bigsby 10-string mandolin at Retrofret by The Brain Cloud.
- Lots of interesting highlights, new music and more from our 2014 Year In Review.
- Stolen: in Rome, Italy, three mandolins. Additional pictures posted on our forum.