Mandolin Cafe Front Page Archive
If you missed something from the Mandolin Cafe front page you'll find it here. Since some of the information we link to is external please understand that as these links go bad they will be removed.
2018 Front Page Highlights
- Kym Warner pays us a visit for Mandolin Mondays episode #111.
- New smoking hot jazz from Emil Ernebro & Erik Igelström on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Hanging out for a few days at Folk Alliance International. Here's our activity report.
- Prominent classical music blog Slipped Disc asks, "When did you last hear a mandolin concerto?"
- Back in stock at Elderly after running out: Masters of the Mandolin - 130 of the Greatest Bluegrass and Newgrass Solos.
- Music Camps North announce scholarships for Guitar & Mandolin Camp North.
- What to do with all that old Mandolin Brothers content, photos and writing? Stan Jay's daughter asks.
- Brian Oberlin & Carlo Aonzo have released a new single entitled "Mantello e Cilindro."
- 2018 San Diego Classical Mandolin Camp announced for July 30 - August 5.
- New in print: Theory and Improvisation for the Modern Mandolinist, Vol. 1.
- New in print: Masters of the Mandolin - 130 of the Greatest Bluegrass and Newgrass Solos.
- Released this date 2007: Rhythm Mandolin: From Bluegrass to Celtic to Swing.
- Mandolin Mondays #110 with Mike Compton playing a historic composition.
- Nice to see the mandolin contribute to the most bizarre side of the internet. Our forum responds.
- This April 13-15: Guitar & Mandolin Camp North registration is under way.
- A treasure trove of David Benedict mandolin lessons with more on the way they tell us.
- Anniversary of our Chris Thile in London Interview that led to us to the original owner of his Loar.
- Did someone say Super Bowl?
- Rest in peace: the great Jethro Burns passed away February 4, 1989.
- A ton of feedback on Marla Fibish on our forum about her courses at Peghead Nation.
- Monroe Mandolin Camp Video Scholarship Competitions for mandolin, banjo & fiddle.
- Clever guitar accessories at a new start-up, friends of the Mandolin Cafe: 785 Studio.
- We chipped in, hope you will too: Ethan Setiawan's Kickstarter for a new album.
- Mandolin Mondays #109 - David Benedict's Twisty Jigs as he prepares to visit Ireland.
- Our Winter NAMM Show thread. Lots of exciting new products for 2018.
- What Do You Think?, by Aaron Weinstein. Minimal but great mandolin content.
- Mandolin Orchestra of Kansas City Formed.
- Nashville Mandolin Camp announces two unexpected openings.
- Long-time Cafe fan Ryan Chappell's band Upstate Rubdown could use your help for their album Kickstarter project just lunched.
- Video action from the Weber booth at this past weekend's NAMM Show.
- Chris Thile audio feature: How to Be Amazing with Michael Ian Black.
- AMGuSS: The American Mandolin & Guitar School Returns June 25-30.
- Reviewed Pava A5 Pro Mandolin by our friends at Peghead Nation.
- Check out the new Northfield mandolin cases at the NAMM Show.
- News from Nonesuch: Chris Thile to hold Carnegie Hall Debs Composer's Chair for 2018–19 Season.
- JazzMando.com's Ted Eschliman is Mandolin Mondays guest #108 with a chordal version of "Our Love is Here to Stay." Nicely done!
- Interesting twist on a familiar D'Addario product: NS Micro Clip Free Tuner.
- In a bold business move attempting to own the search term Bluegrass Cajon...
- March Mandolin Festival. Marla Fibish, David Surette, Will Patton, Matt Shipman and more.
- An organization that has our hearty support and approval: The Handsome Ladies, support for women bluegrassers of all levels.
- Help a rare Stanley Brothers recording not heard for 60+ years get preserved.
- Celebrating two years in publication, our Sierra Hull - Weighted Mind Interview.
- Arguably the finest mandolin recording ever: Homer & Jethro's Playing It Straight / It Ain't Necessarily Square.
- Coming March 24: 5th Annual Metamora Mandolin Gathering. Workshops, concerts and more.
- Long time friend of the Mandolin Cafe, performer, educator and author Marilynn Mair is Mandolin Mondays #107.
- Not sold in stores. Our operators are not standing by to take your call. Improve your mandolin playing and support the Cafe at the same time by wearing a Mandolin Cafe ball cap.
- Epic: odes honoring Bill Monroe's toaster that appeared on eBay.
- Add your input to a mandolin book in the process of being written.
- Mandolin Mondays #106: the fine playing of Nick Dumas gets the week off to a great start.
- Scare Tactics: Tips on How Musicians Can Overcome Stage Fright, from Strings Magazine online.
- These are cool: a variety of Carter Vintage Guitar ball caps.
- Carlo Aonzo's 18th annual U.S. mandolin workshop returns to Milwaukee June 7-10. Register soon! More...
- For a limited time at Mandolins Heal The World: full year membership plus two live video lessons via Skype, FaceTime, etc. for only $199.99.
- New Bill Monroe book for young readers, Blue Grass Boy set for March 18 release. Pre-order: amazon
- Always an eye opening read: Slipped Disc's World's Worst Airlines for Musicians, 2018.
- Mandolin Mondays #105: Josh Rilko plays the old time tune, "Lost Girl."
- New in print, Masters of the Mandolin: 130 of the Greatest Bluegrass and Newgrass Solos. Reserve your advance copy: Elderly | amazon
- New in print: Three Chord Songs for Mandolin. Pre-order: Elderly | amazon
- New music from Jimmy Ryan: Solo Mandolin: Jimmy Ryan Performs Top Gospel Hits.
- Plans for the 2018 Monroe Mandolin Camp announced.
- Released this week 2012: Charlie Louvin's Satan Is Real, an epic read everyone should have a chance to enjoy.
- Information about the new mandolin release coming in 2018 from Ethan Setiawan.
- Start Jan. 8-10: Matt Flinner's wildly popular online group lessons.
- Money where our mouth is: we're an official sponsor of the 2018 Monroe Mandolin Camp.
- Got yours? Mandolin Cafe ball cap.
- Congrats Scott Napier and Lauren Price who announced their engagement!
- Rest in peace: Curly Seckler passes at 98.
- Mandolin Monday: David Benedict's "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas."
- Announcing the new Mandolin Orchestra of Kansas City. Check them out on Facebook.