Mandolin Cafe Front Page Archive
If you missed something from the Mandolin Cafe front page you'll find it here. Since some of the information we link to is external please understand that as these links go bad they will be removed.
2017 Front Page Highlights
- Hands down the best resource on the internet for group learning, our opinion: our Song a Week Social Group run by Barbara Schultz.
- A bargain too good to pass up: study with the greats at Peghead Nation and get your first month FREE with Coupon Code MandoSchool.
- Noting the 8-year anniversary of this important Bill Graham article about Bill Monroe: "Curative Talk For a True Life."
- A double album so good and so important we won't rest until every mandolin player owns a copy! Back in stock at Elderly, the must own Homer & Jethro compilation of their 1960s recordings "Playing It Straight" and "Ain't Necessarily Square."
- Wayne Benson is Mandolin Mondays #88 with a smoking version of "Grey Eagle."
- We're making a "last call" for those wishing to acquire one of our new Mandolin Cafe ball caps with mesh backs as stocks dwindle down and most that intended to grab one already have. Next batch after this one will be some time in 2018. » Order
- That time of year when new bluegrass bands are formed. Save precious rehearsal time with our Random Bad Bluegrass Band Name Generator.
- Get ready for the 2017 Monroe Mandolin Camp. The Mandolin Cafe is proud to be an official sponsor along with our friends at D'Addario, Carter Vintage Guitars and Peghead Nation.
- John McEuen memoir set to publish.
- Of interest to mandolin builders that build banjos, new in print: Building New Banjos for an Old-Time World.
- You won't believe what we found on this dollar bill in our wallet.
- Congratulations Adam K., Cheryl S., Ken W., Jason K. and Buddy M., winners in our Straight Up Strings for a year giveaway.
- The Collings MT2 mandolin by Dan Gabel, Sharon Gilchrista and Scott Nygaard at Peghead Nation.
- Interesting: Jacob Reuven's The year of Israeli Music newsletter.
- A new recording from Don Julin: Tractor II.
- David Benedict is Mandolin Mondays Entry #87 with Windy and Warm.
- Peghead Nation is launching Theory for Mandolin and Fiddle with Chad Manning in September.
- From David Benedict: Mandolin Mondays stickers.
- Mandolin Cafe On Demand. The best instructors & lessons, all under the Cafe roof.
- Highly recommended: private online lessons with Tim Connell.
- Must Own: David Grisman and Tony Rice in concert in 1997: Dawg an 'T'.
- People of Houston and surrounding areas, know you are in our thoughts! Donate to Red Cross as Texas governor recommends.
- Nicely played: multi-instrumentalist Alex Heflin shares his version of The Dock of the Bay.
- Slice of interesting history: 1953 Mosrite Custom Electric Mandolin made by Semie Moseley for Nudie Cohen at Emerald City Guitars.
- New music from Aurora Celtic on the Mandolin Cafe MP3 page.
- Aaron Weinstein's Jazz Mandolin Chord Melody Volume #27.8, but who's counting?
- Tim Connell is our Mandolin Mondays #86 guest with a great solo Beatles tune.
- You might enjoy episode #32 of Bradley Laird's Grass Talk Radio: Instrument Horror Stories.
- Just one example of why the music world loved Stan Jay (rest in peace) of Mandolin Brothers.
- At a price too good to resist: you can take eight free lessons from Mandolins Heal the World starting here.
- In the news: For Bloomfield mandolin players, it's 'a labor of love'.
- Montana Lutherie, the web site of Bruce and Mary Weber appears to be open for business.
- In Nashville this Wednesday: Mando Mania Comes to Music City Roots August 23. Available for streaming over the web.
- The incomparable Don Stiernberg is our guest for Mandolin Mondays #85.
- New from Acoustic Disc: The Book of the Dawg - Dawg Latin. » Purchase
- By banjo great Alan Munde and Beth Mead-Sullivan: The Great American Banjo Songbook just published.
- Gorgeous: 1920 Gibson K-2 mandocello new in stock at Bernunzio Uptown Music.
- Mandolin Cafe is proud to be a major sponsor along with Carter Vintage Guitars, Peghead Nation and D'Addario of this year's Monroe Mandolin Camp, held in Nashville, Sept. 13-17.
- Appears there are a couple of new Roasted Red Diamond F "July 9" mandolins at Morgan Music, an exclusive dealer for the builder.
- New music from Brazil's Rafael Marques on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Congratulations to Julia R. in Alabama, winner of The Mandolin Store Pono Octave Mandolin Giveaway.
- Peghead Nation adds 5 slots to their Oct. 19-22 Mandolin Camp.
- Mandolins Heal The World announce David Benedict's Waltz Warehouse track.
- New music from the classical duo Ocotillo on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Mandolin Mondays #84: welcome to Adam Roszkiewicz of Front Country and the Modern Mandolin Quartet.
- Possibly the best educational resource to be found anywhere: Mandolin Cafe On Demand.
- Good brain food for all musicians from our friends at Fretboard Toolbox.
- A remarkable find: this 1988 Jethro Burns Interview that just surfaced.
- Peghead Nation announces their First Annual Mandolin Camp with John Reischman, Sharon Gilchrist and Joe K. Walsh.
- Excited to see David Benedict's Waltz Warehouse track at Mandolins Heal The World.
- Celebrating four years in print: Chris Thile's Bach: Sonatas and Partitas, Vol. 1.
- Congratulations! Weber Mandolins Celebrates 20 Years in business.
- Don't try this at home, he's a professional: David Benedict's Mandolin Mondays #83.
- Great feature article about Kilin Reece in Hono Hou, the Magazine of Hawaii Airlines.
- New bluegrass music from Alan Epstein on the Cafe MP3 page.
- New original music from Minari & Portales on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Congratulations Jeff P. in Washington state, winner in our Schertler DYN-M-P48 Pickup for Mandolin Giveaway.
- The Mandolin Store Pono Octave Mandolin Giveaway. Starts August 6, a winner selected August 12.
- One spot left in the Marshall Mando Summit workshop, Aug. 17-20.
- Brian Oberlin is our special guest for Mandolin Mondays #82. Nice track!
- Register: Peghead Nation Mandolin Camp. Sponsored in part by the Mandolin Cafe.
- New music from West coast based Grupo Falso Baiano on MP3 page.
- In part our tribute to Bill Collings: a bit of information, observations and a few photos of our new Collings F mandolin case.
- Nominees for IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year announced: Brock, Bush, Hull, Solivan, Steffey.
- Proud to be the sole sponsor (so far) of the 2017 Peghead Nation Mandolin Camp, Oct. 19-22.
- Acoustic Music Co. is listing the new Eastman 305 Octave we reported on from NAMM as in stock.
- Oregon Mandolin Orchestra names Christian McKee Music Director as Brian Oberlin moves to Michgan.
- Published this date (July 24) 2011: our John McGann Interview, packed with bits of wisdom.
- New Lexus worth $10K less if driven off the lot or a '37 Martin D18 at 3/4 the cost that retains value?
- Man plays guitar during brain surgery. Hope it wasn't "Stairway to Heaven."
- Walker Creek Fall Music Camp announced, Sept. 28 - Oct. 1, Petaluma, Calif.
- Marla Fibish and Bruce Victor, Noctambule, announce the release of A Sweetish Tune.
- A special Chamber Music Workshop with Keith Harris announced for October 20-23.
- There's a brand new series starting up at Mandolins Heal The World: Get rhythm!
- Aaron Weinstein is our special guest for Mandolin Mondays #81.
- Collings Guitars & Mandolins founder Bill Collings passes. Mandolin Cafe readers react.
- First Peghead Nation Mandolin Camp with John Reischman, Joe K. Walsh and Sharon Gilchrist, Oct. 19-22, near Yosemite National Park.
- New bluegrass from Hank, Pattie & The Current on the Cafe MP3 page.
- One of the new models from Kentucky at The Mandolin Store: Kentucky KM850 Artist F.
- New music from John Reischman & The Jaybirds: On That Other Green Shore.
- A very special Rigel G110 Custom like you've never seen coming up for sale soon.
- An area of the Cafe people have never seen, our historical database: search results for the word Patent.
- Registration for the 2017 CMSA Convention in Milwaukee is now open.
- Alan Bibey is our special guest for Mandolin Mondays #80.
- The sinking status of SoundCloud, popular among musicians everywhere, including the Cafe.
- New music just released by John Reischman and the Jaybirds: On That Other Green Shore.
- Always free (or not). You choose. Mandolin Cafe case stickers. Unlimited quantities of F-style. A-style only available upon specific request, otherwise we'll send F-style.
- UK mandolin great Simon Mayor is the guest interviewee of this week's Bradley Laird Grass Talk Radio.
- Our recent video of Django's famed Selmer guitar on display in Paris.
- Happy July 9, 1923 birthday to the most famous batch of Lloyd Loar signed F-5s.
- Interesting: Lloyd Loar's obituary from the 1943 Fretted Instrument News.
- Worth our collective eyeballs: circa 1899 Orville F mandolin at Carter Vintage.
- Highly recommended: Mandolins Heal The World. Subscription gives you access to all instructors.
- Frank Solivan is our Mandolin Mondays #79 guest. Take it away, Frank!
- Ouch... Air Canada snaps the neck of a $4,000 guitar stored in flight case.
- Over an hour of never before seen Bill Monroe and The Bluegrass Boys in Boulder in concert. from June, 1986.
- Discussed: Carter Vintage Guitars becoming a Weber dealer.
- Just out: the latest newsletter from The Acoustic Music Co. of England.
- Don Julin, Matt Flinner and more: Great Lakes Music Camp Announced, Oct. 6-8.
- Mandolin Mondays #78 - David Benedict's salute to Kenny Baker's birthday.
- New music from Robin Bullock: J.S. Bach - Suites For Mandolin, Vol. One.
- New streaming classical cut from Robin Bullock on the Cafe MP3 page.
- New music from Tristan Scroggins and Alisa Rose on the MP3 page.
- Berlin Classics releases Telemandolin, a brilliant new recording from Alon Sariel.
- Our Jenni Lyn Gardner feature interview Jenni Lyn Lights Up with Burn Another Candle.
- New bluegrass music by builder Will Kimble on the Cafe MP3 page.
- We're with Walter Carter on this one: electric guitars are not dying. Nope, not happening.
- Never before seen footage Bill Monroe and The Bluegrass Boys Live in Denver.
- Lose your work day, your blues... "Trouble in Mind."
- Gold Tone Seeks Beta Testers with Introduction of Loop2Learn app.
- A remarkable piece of music by Sterling Abernathy for Mandolin Mondays #77!
- New in print from Mel Bay: J. S. Bach Mandolin Duets.
- Newest feature on Grasstalk Radio is the connection between bluegrass and baseball.
- New from Mel Bay: The 100 - Techniques and Exercises for Mandolinists, by Marilynn Mair. Purchase: Book | eBook.
- New original music from Billy Parker just out: Mandoclectic.
- Published this date 2013, a real favorite, the Adam Steffey New Primitive Interview.
- New original music by Billy Parker on the Mandolin Cafe MP3 page.
- June 26-30, Britol RI: American Mandolin & Guitar Summer School
- John Reischman is Mandolin Mondays #76 with Charlie Parker's "Yardbird Suite."
- New music from long-time Cafe member Daniel Nestlerode on the MP3 page.
Our hat is off to Tom Ellis, and his extended Ellis Mandolins, Pava Mandolins and Precision Pearl family, celebrating 40 years in business. Congratulations, Tom!
- 25% off Acoustic Disc physical orders thru June 30, coupon code June2017.
- Interesting: Tristan Scroggins demonstrates his Stelling F-5 mandolin.
- Took in Sierra Hull and Ethan Jodziewicz in concert this weekend. Wow...
- Mandolin Mondays #75 - Steve Smith takes us on a Crossroad Blues ride. Mercy, mercy!
- Mandolin Cafe and Mandolins Heal The World: a $50 discount yearly membership.
- A brand new Matt Flinner online course starts June 12.
- From Feb. 19, 1986: a never before seen Bill Monroe Interview.
- The current issue of The Acoustic Music Company newsletter just published.
- Just out: the new Bobby Osborne project Original. Our interview The New Normal? Crowdfunding Bobby Osborne.
- Estate of Bill Monroe Offers Rare Ownership of Prized Possessions.
- First ever Mando Fest of India scheduled. Mandolins rule the world!
- Well spoken: Acts of Defiance.
- Just released: Avital Meets Avital. Order from amazon.com.
- First month free/$20 off subscription to Peghead Nation, Discount Code MandoCafe17.
- Ended: the Eastman MD415-GD Giveaway. Our thanks to The Mandolin Store for their support.
- Mandolin Mondays, #74, by David Benedict playing a Jacob do Bandolim choro.
- You really should take a look at our newly launched This Day in History.
- 25% off all Acoustic Disc physical orders thru June 30. Use coupon code June2017.
- Sam Bush talking about Bobby and a video and MP3 track from the new Bobby Osborne recording.
- Coming Sunday, another never before seen 1986 Bill Monroe interview from the Wright collection.
- Pete Martin is the subject of this week's GrassTalk Radio by Bradley Laird.
- Immensely honored to be the subject of a current interview for Up On The Mountain with Andrew Chaney, a great music resource!
- New, with nary a bow tie in sight: Aaron Weinstein's Someone To Watch Over Me.
- Time for lessons/learning over the holiday? Check out Mandolin Cafe On Demand.
- New from Mel Bay: Parking Lot Picker's Play-Along: Mandolin. Order: eBook | Book
- Looking ahead in June: Festival of Mandolin Chamber Music IX.
- Mandolin Mondays: seen his somewhat viral videos on YouTube? Welcome, Rory Hoffman.
- The story from the source in 1986: the Charlie Derrington Interview.
- New Music from Greece's Athenian Mandolinata: Greek Rhapsody.
- Need some Monroe mojo? Chris Henry can help via Mandolins Heal The World.
- New bluegrass from the award winning band Nu-Blu on the Cafe MP3 page.
- New from Aaron Weinstein: mandolin chord melody for Not a Care in the World. Nice!
- Coming Sunday: The Mandolin Store Eastman MD415-GD Giveaway. $1,000 value.
- Fan of our Mandolin Mondays series? Get the lessons for some episodes at Mandolins Heal The World.
- Our Tim Connell Interview with information about his new solo recording.
- Fire up the lava lamp: Don Julin takes on Led Zeppelin for Mandolin Mondays #72.
- Here they are: the new Pono/KR Strings mandolin and mandola prototypes.
- The latest newsletter from The Acoustic Music Company.
- New in Nashville of interest: Nashville Vocal Camp, Nov. 10-12.
- Mike Marshall is the subject of this week's Grass Talk Radio.
- Summer wear: Eastman owners will like the cool Eastman brand t-shirts in their store.
- What kind of man plays Bach on an electric mandolin at the bottom of a pool?
- About the never before seen Charlie Derrington interview airing later this week.
- Congatulations Sierra Hull and Justin Moses, just married!
- New from Mel Bay, Playford for Mandolin by John Goodin.
- Shown publicly for the first time: Bill Monroe Farm Interview from February 25, 1986.
- Good stuff: "Whiskey Before Breakfast," by Chad Manning and Scott Nygaard.
- David Benedict is accepting mandolin students for the summer. Very highly recommended.
- San Diego Classical Mandolin Camp's video highlighting this year's gathering. Mandolin Cafe is proud to be an official sponsor.
- Just published: the current newsletter from The Acoustic Music Company.
- Casey Campbell is Mandolin Mondays #71 with Sam's Bush, a Jethro tune.
- New music from Tim Connell, MandAlone - 10 New Arrangements for Solo Mandolin.
- Andrew Hendryx is a new mandolin instructor at Vintage Guitar Magazine.
- These are cool: Collings Black Ceramic Mug With Gold Logo.
- Coming Sunday, an feature interview with mandolinist extraordinaire Tim Connell.
- You could say we have a few mandolin patents in our historical database.
- New at Grass Talk Radio: Bill Monroe and other tales.
- New Jenni Lyn video just out. She's the subject of a future Cafe interview.
- Tara Linhart has joined the staff at Mandolins Heal The World.
- Aw shucks: the guy that runs this web site is the subject of an episode of Bradley Laird's Grass Talk Radio.
- Historically important: Samuel Adelstein's Mandolin Memories from 1901.
- New music from Alex Heflin & Mike Gurrola - Hats Off.
- Alex Heflin is our guest for Mandolin Mondays #70!
- Monroe Mandolin Camp WO-Man Scholarship winner announced.
- Lessons from the very best: only at Mandolin Cafe On Demand.
- New original music from the Caney Creek Company on the MP3 page.
- There's nothing like vintage, olde-time mandolin!
- Free ear candy from Marla Fibish and Dal Russ courtey Peghead Nation.
- Matt Flinner's next online course schedule announced.
- An audio interview with Avi Avital from Mando Montreal.
- Hip new Alex Heflin jazz mandolin EPK we'll be telling you more about soon.
- New original music by Avery LeVine on the Mandolin Cafe MP3 page.
- A bluegrass trivia challenge that was stumping us, now answered.
- Tristan Scroggins is Mandolin Mondays guest #69 with the Bela Fleck tune "Another Morning."
- The latest newsletter from The Acoustic Music Co.
- Interesting: Clark GOM175 Octave Mandolin demo'd at Peghead Nation.
- Cool poster for the Marshall Mando Summit concerts. Tickets going on sale May 1.
- Impressive: Jeff Midkiff and the Boulder Philharmonic at The Kennedy Center.
- All in the family: a special Lynn Dudenbostel project in support of his son's Kickstarter.
- Information on Don Julin's Spring Tour of mandolin workshops and concerts.
- Give our newly updated and enhanced This Day in History database a spin.
- From this date 2011, our feature interview with jazz mandolinist Will Patton.
- Avi Avital and bassist Omer Avital join forces for new album: Avital Meets Avital.
- A must own published this date 2011: Spann's Guide to Gibson 1902-1941.
- After talking to him, we decided to help out a mandolinist in need, and hope you will too.
- Four days left to fund Andrew Dudenbostel's Five String (yes, THAT Dudenbostel).
- How did we miss this one all these years? Romantic Japanese Mandolins.
- Early Bird tickets available. Great line-up: Oldtone Roots Music Festival 2017.
- Mandolin Mondays: David Benedict's Dave Matthews Band Mandolin Medley. Wow.
- Tristan Scroggins and Alisa Rose announced their debut album, GRANA. More...
- Sublime: John Reischman and Kenny Smith with Nate Lee: "A Prairie Jewel."
- Interesting discussion from about 8 yrs. ago: early Gibson factory photo.
- New from Jenni Lyn Gardner: Jenni Lyn - Burn Another Candle. Very highly recommended.
- Marla Fibish is our guest for Mandolin Mondays #67 with a nice set of hop jigs!
- Mandolin Cafe extends best wishes to Sam Bush on his 65th birthday!
- Nice feature on our friends at Retrofret in this online GQ Style article.
- Just announced: Avi Avital and Omer Avital have a duo album slated for June.
- 12 Winning entries in the GHS Pure Nickel Mandolin Strings Giveaway have been contacted.
- Published this date 2007: The Music of Bill Monroe, by Neil V. Rosenberg and Charles K. Wolfe.
- Available for pre-order: 1930s Country Mandolin: Bluegrass Roots by Joseph Weidlich.
- New music from Steep Ravine on the Cafe MP3 page.
- New in print from Hal Leonard Publishers with an April 17 publication date: Classical Mandolin Solos by Carlo Aonzo. Pre-order from amazon.com
- Alan Epstein is our special guest for Mandolin Mondays #66 playing "Shalom Aleichem."
- The folks at Northfield organizing the Marshall Mando Summit tell us there are still a couple of slots left.
- Stupid: American Airlines finds a new way to mistreat a responsible musician and long-time customer.
- August 3, Hyden, Kentucky: Bobby Osborne's Mandolin Roundup with Scott Napier and Lauren Price.
- Starts April 7! Mandolin and Guitar Camps North, Prindle Pond Conference Center Charlton, Massachusetts.
- Information about this year's Classical Mandolin Society Convention in Milwaukee.
- April 3 opening day for Major League Baseball: Jethro and Steve Goodman, take it away!
- Bringing together 11 legends of bluegrass mandolin for live duet recordings, Casey Campbell's Mandolin Duets: Volume One. » Order
- Ever want to learn some of David Benedict's amazing Mandolin Mondays music? Now you can via his track at Mandolins Heal The World.
- Ouch. One of classical music's most respected voices critical of the Thile/Meyer/Ma Bach disc.
- Brian Oberlin, Don Stiernberg: First Annual Great Lakes Mandolin Camp Announced.
- Emory Lester is Mandolin Mondays #65 with "Eight More Miles to Louisville." Wow!
- GHS Pure Nickel Mandolin Strings Giveaway starts Monday at noon Central!
- We're in: a Kickstarter for Five String, a short film by Andrew Dudenbostel. Familiar name...
- The 2017 San Diego Classical Mandolin Camp takes place July 24-30, 2017 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Mission Valley. More...
- Seen this? John Reischman's Melodic Mandolin Tunes at Peghead Nation.
- New from GHS Strings: Pure Nickel Mandolin Strings.
- Jordan Ramsey crosspicking at Mandolins Heal The World.
- Information about the Marshall Mando Summit, August 17-20 in Marshall, Michigan.
- New Tim Connell lessons just in at Mandolins Heal The World.
- Avi Avital residency, Schleswig Holstein Musik Festival, Germany.
- Latest newsletter from the Acoustic Music Co.
- David Grisman's thank you downloadable exercise.
- We think you'll really like the music of Alex Heflin.
- Mandolin Mondays: David Benedict's "Boston Boy." Wow.
- Bradley Laird's podcast for musicians learning to play.
- Happy birthday, David Grisman! Born March 23, 1945.
- New music from Doyle Lawson and Paul Williams: Chapter 3.
- Details for the 2017 San Diego Classical Mandolin Camp.
- Bradley Klein's A Brief History of Evening Prayer Blues.
- Subscriber feedback: Matt Flinner's online courses.
- Pre-order: Bobby Osborne recording Original.
- New from Alan Epstein: Sunset On Meriden Hill.
- Learn note-for-note some of David Benedict's Mandolin Mondays videos using SoundSlice and Mandolins Heal The World. Explained by video.
- The Cafe's official announcement about the blockbuster Marshall (Michigan) Mando Summit.
- Joe Brent is our guest for Mandolin Mondays #63.
- Looking for a little bit of free mandolin listening material? Here's a lot, instead.
- More creative video genius from Aaron Weinstein: The Myth of a Standing Ovation.
- At Peghead Nation: Wednesday's Facebook Live with Marla Fibish from earlier today is archived now.
- Gibson announces confirmed exclusive rights to trademarked body and headstock designs of three iconic guitar models. #letshiremorelawyers
- Marshall Mando Summit: Mike Marshall, Caterina Lichtenberg, Sarah Jarosz, Don Stiernberg, Tim O'Brien. Aug. 17-20, Marshall, Mich. Discussed.
- The Mandolin Cafe is offering a scholarship to attend the next Global Mandolin Retreat with Mike Marshall and Caterina Lichtenberg in California, July 21-23.
- Reminder: first month free or $20 off an annual subscription for John Reischman's new Peghead Nation School.
- Mandolin Cafe and Mandolins Heal The World $50 discount on a yearly membership. Use Promo CAFE17.
- A new all-star project out soon, Casey Campbell - Mandolin Duets: Volume One.
- Monroe Mandolin Camp is proud to announce their inaugural Wo-MON Scholarship.
- Two new pinky strengthening video tutorials from Don Julin and Mandolins Heal The World.
- Mandolin Mondays welcomes young mandolin talent Giri Peters!
- Happy birthdays (March 10) to Jethro Burns and Norman Blake!
- Published a year ago today, still a great read: The Rise of Marla Fibish.
- A brilliant talent interviewed: Rising Brazilian Mandolinist Elisa Meyer.
- Got an opinion on a potential new tenor guitar method book? Weigh in.
- Gorgeous new Celtic build by NK Forster on our forum. Great photos.
- Nicely done: John Reischman and Scott Nygaard on "Little Liza Jane" in the Peghead Nation Studios.
- A new EP of original octave mandolin from Italy's Fabio Paxia, The Coffee I've Never Had.
- The latest newsletter from the Acoustic Music Company of England. Lots of mandolin pix!
- Recent Cafe interviewee Ethan Setiawan is our guest for Mandolin Mondays #61 with Spain.
- Speaking of choro, meet the remarkable, totally unknown João Macambira. You're in for a treat. We're buying the pinga.
- Blast from the past: who remembers this discussion from ten years ago?
- Great pictures from this forum member's Nyberg Mandola in process.
- Cool video: Nate Lee playing a Gilchrist and wearing a Cafe ball cap.
- Just Chris Thile hanging out in a ball pit with Stephen Colbert.
- Just out, can't wait to hear it: Casey Campbell: Mandolin Duets: Volume One.
- Published one year ago today: Rarities and Lutherie Tango at Gryphon Stringed Instruments.
- In light of her Grammy wins, you might enjoy our 2015 Looking Forward with Sarah Jarosz.
- Watch this 1896 aluminum bowlback discussion unfold with some surprises. Interesting!
- Kind of forum post we love: Gibson Alrite tribute build by Andy Poe, from a happy customer.
- New mandolin & guitars eye candy from our recent visit to Retrofret Vintage Guitars.
- New in the educational arena: the Murphy Method Digital Download site.
- John Reischman's Peghead Nation Courses: first month free or $20 off annual subscription. More | John's Peghead Nation page
- From this date 2010: our interview with the curator of Bill Monroe's mandolin.
- Jarrod Walker is our special guest for Mandolin Mondays #60.
- 2017 California Coast Music Camp dates, staff announced.
- Specs for the new Eastman MDO305 Octave we reported on from NAMM. Discussed.
- Last video in Aaron Weinstein's Mandolin Etude Thursdays.
- "The Girl I Left Behind," a new free lesson from Don Julin and Mandolins Heal the World.
- New owner: Mandolin Brothers has been sold in name only, no retail store to follow.
- Sobering: Thousands of new (music) releases do not achieve a single sale.
- Information on the The Travelin' McCourys "The Grateful Ball video/tour.
- The Gibson Brothers have announced the release of In The Ground with two-time IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year Jesse Brock on board. More...
- New Monroe collection a real bombshell for fans: Bill Monroe - Castle Studio 1950/1951.
- With a mind boggling number of online lesson providers and choices, maybe all you need is one good lesson and one very good instructor.
- For The Right Mandolin, This Kansas City Musician Needed One Man - And Patience.
- Matt Witler is our special video guest for Mandolin Mondays #59. Crazy great crosspicking!
- Bach Trios coming April 7 from Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer and Chris Thile. Discussed on our forum.
- Mandolin Cafe and Mandolins Heal The World partner to offer $50 discount on year membership. Use Promo CAFE17 » More... | Subscribe
- Strange things found on this site: tablature to Spinal Tap's "Stonehenge," submitted by "Nigel."
- Got Instagram? We're jumping back in after an absence of a few years and 1,100+ followers.
- 4th Annual Metamora Mandolin Gathering set for March 25 in Metamora, Ind.
- Aw shucks... a nice little write-up up about the Cafe on the California Bluegrass Association site.
- Sarah Jarosz takes two Grammys. Congrats, Sarah, and all of the folk/bluegrass nominees!
- Video #6 of 7: Aaron Weinstein's Mandolin Etude Thursdays.
- A nice set of Irish reels from Marla Fibish and Dale Russ in the Peghead Nation studio.
- Register now for the Monroe Mandolin Camp, Sept. 13-17. Includes banjo and fiddle tracks.
- Walker Creek Music Camp - April 7-10 with Reischman, Gilchrist, Bruce, Tuttle and Bragger.
- Some familiar names in this Paste article 7 Women Smashing the Bluegrass Glass Ceiling.
- Matt Flinner is our special guest for Mandolin Mondays #58.
- Long, long ago in a land far, far away: the Mandocrucian Digest. Stuff we find on this site.
- The latest newsletter from the Acoustic Music Company.
- Cafe exclusive: The New Normal? Crowdfunding Bobby Osborne.
- A new web site for Don Stiernberg.
- #5 of 7 in Aaron Weinstein's Mandolin Etude Thursdays.
- This date 2012: our Chris Thile Interview where we ID the original owner of his Loar.
- Entertaining: Making a Clark F5.
- Celebrating the events of 10 years ago today, this fascinating history most have never heard: The 2006-2007 LoarFest audio tapes.
- Mike Compton and Scott Nygaard rip a great version of "Bluegrass Special."
- Jazz mandolinist Jason Bailey is David Benedict's special guest for Mandolin Mondays #57!
- A video of the new Gold Tone Mandocello that was on display at the recent NAMM Show in Anaheim.
- Information on Bradley Laird's new venture: Grass Talk Radio.
- New at Mandolins Heal The World: Getting To Know The Notes with Don Julin.
- Collings offers the guys and gals a really nice t-shirt. Those are really cool!
- Nicely done: Alex Heflin's The Flintstones Meet Coltrane.
- John Reischman in teaming up with Peghead Nation to teach mandolin courses. Visit the announcement on their web site.
- #4 of 7: Aaron Weinstein's Etude Thursdays based on Mandolin Chord Melody System.
- New music from the Rain City Ramblers on the Cafe MP3 page. Get this cut and 575 other tracks, free.
- Got a question for the Monroe Mandolin Camp staff? They just might answer your inquiry here.
- New music from Tim May and Steve Smith: Murder of Crows.
- Now that's pretty cool: the new Collings ball cap they're offering for sale.
- Must read: Walter Carter's The Mandolin in America. Discussed.
- Coming Sunday: The New Normal? Crowdfunding Bobby Osborne, an interview with Alison Brown and Bobby Osborne.
- The latest newsletter from The Acoustic Music Company. Lots of great eye candy.
- Ending soon: taken advantage of the huge Acoustic Disc Winter sale? 25% off everything.
- It's Mandolin Mondays #56 with David Benedict's special guest Adam Tanner!
- Every once in awhile you just wish it true: the last page on the Internet.
- New music by Jozef Scheiner on the Mandolin Cafe MP2 page Get this and 573 other free downloadable mandolin MP3s.
- June 1-4, Carlo Aonzo's annual Mandolin Workshop will be held in Milwaukee. Details.
- A bit of reporting and photos from our 2017 NAMM Show experience in Anaheim, Calif.
- New music by Alan Epstein on the Mandolin Cafe MP2 page.
- Pictures of the new Eastman octave mandolin we saw at the NAMM Show in Anaheim. Very nice. So new they just received the day before the show.
- Published this date 2008 and still a great read: Bill Graham's Flinner's Made-Fresh-Daily.
- Double-stops explained logically by David Benedict on Mandolins Heal The World.
- Insightful! Video #3 of 7 from Aaron Weinstein's Mandolin Etude Thursdays.
- Meet The Shisha Group. Help crowdfund a Cafe regular's new album with a new band.
- Meet legendary builder Andy Manson and a one-of-a-kind mandolin. We got to at this weekend's NAMM Show.
- Carlo Aonzo's 17th annual U.S. Mandolin Workshop, held in Milwaukee this year, June 1-4. See: workshop web site.
- Mandolin Mondays #55: David Benedict tackles Super Mario Mandolin Medley. #mandolinmondays
- Well written, comprehensive review of the new Northfield F-5.
- An important anniversary: Gibson mandolin adjustable bridge patented this date 1921.
- David Mansfield has announced the release of his recording Solo Mandolin - David Mansfield Performs Grateful Dead's Workingman's Dead.
- A really nice solo acoustic mandolin EP just out. Andrew Buckner - Coffee and a Good Book.
- Some nice jazz mandolin posted in our blog area a few days ago.
- Those of using Yahoo as your email provider on our Forum need to read this.
- Quote from Dennis at The Mandolin Store: "Totally blown away by the new Pono Octave mandolin line. Most exciting new product in a long time!"
- Video Number 2 of Aaron Weinstein's Mandolin Etude Thursdays is now available. Get the book.
- Got Mandolin Cafe On Demand? Instantly downloadable lessons from the very best.
- New music from David Mansfield on Mandolin Cafe MP3 page.
- Now available! The newest book by Walter Carter: The Mandolin in America. » Purchase from author
- Nate Lee is our special guest for the latest edition of Mandolin Mondays. Brilliant tune, terrific tone.
- Mike Compton featured in an audio interview for LearnChair Radio.
- A new publication on amazon we don't have enough information on for a news release but worth sharing: "50 Fiddle Tunes for Mandolin."
- New from Joe K. Walsh at Peghead Nation: David Grisman's composition "Telluride" just added.
- Tastes great, less filling: To Do or Not To Do, that is the question.
- Happy birthday to Dan Beimborn, system administrator for the Mandolin Cafe.
- The Dawg makes an appearance in Guitar Player's special acoustic section they call Frets.
- Well worth the read: Mandolins on the island at the edge of the world.
- Almost a national holiday of sorts for mandolinists: Lloyd Loar was born this date 1886 in Cropsey, Illinois.
- New in print: Christmas Carols for Crosspicking Mandola or Tenor Banjo.
- We welcome the first of Aaron Weinstein's Etude Thursday videos. Buckle up, it's a good ride.
- Don Julin has added 7 new Chris Henry videos on Monroe style at Mandolins Heal The World.
- Help for balding men and those with cold heads: Mandolin Cafe ball caps. Not sold in stores.
- Suppose we could explain this to you but if you don't know, it's as simple as the fact you never had kids.
- Mandolin Mondays continues in 2017 with *great* guests, like Joe K. Walsh! #mandolinmondays
- Great forum post from one of our members: Inside the Ellis and Pava Workshop.
- We've added our financial support to David Benedict and Mile Twelve Kickstarter.
- The Stradolin. Praised by David Grisman, Stan Jay and Lowell Levinger in our feature Great Vintage Mandolins Under $1,000. Not everyone agrees.
- A great read from this date 2015: our Frank Solivan feature interview.
- Favorite: Charlie Louvin's incredible book Satan Is Real was published this date 2012. More...
- New music from our favorite music writer Bill Graham on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Nice eye candy and information in the latest newsletter from The Acoustic Music Company.
- Many interesting comments are starting to roll in for this question in our forum: Is there such a thing as a "Mandolin Culture?"
- Joe K. Walsh demos his new Nugget mandolin for Peghead Nation.
- New music from the Philadelphia Mandolin Ensemble, their first recording has just released: Global Mandolization. Hear a track on the Cafe MP3 page.
- Zero mandolin content, but all about music and people. Watch, and you'll understand why you should see the documentary Alive Inside.
- As we do each year about this time: The Mandolin Cafe's Year In Review.
- Interesting: seeking info on a very early family mandolin.
- David Benedict's Mandolin Mondays to ride again in 2017 with special guests. Thanks, David! He takes us out of 2016 with a brilliant version of "Auld Lang Syne."
- From December 28, 2010, our Avi Avital interview by Joe Brent. Still a great read!
- Loaded, ready for students: over 160 mandolin camps and workshops.