Denver Folklore Center •
Morgan Music •
Peghead Nation •
Elderly Instruments •
Collings • Eastman • Strings and Beyond • The Music Emporium • Mandolin World Headquarters • JustStrings.com
A spectacularly clean, extremely rare five-string banjo produced after David Day joined with Fred Bacon in 1922 to form the Bacon & Day Banjo Co.
As always, B&D instruments contained superbly delicate adornments in terms of wood selection and complicated inlays on the peg head as well as the fingerboard.
This exquisite example left Groton. Ct. as an original five string, with all the hardware and the original neck. One quite often finds the Super model in a tenor banjo for which a five-string neck has been made later in life. Not so here. The peg head is decorated with the B&D logo surrounded by intricate vine inlays in mother-of-pearl.
Continuing down the fret-board, the eye encounters multiple inlay patterns of slotted diamonds and squares as well as the perennial fern Athyrium filix-femina inlaid with mother of pearl in the ebony fret board that is single-bound in ivoroid.
The clip on resonator is maple which matches the neck, and is super-clean as is the rest of the instrument. The heal cap features an inlaid multi-leafed bush.
As mentioned previously, this instrument is extremely clean, all original, with minimal fret wear and just hints at being previously owned. This is a terrific example of what some would call museum quality condition.
$4500 with high quality hard case included.
for more photos, click on “additional information”
note: Because of recent changes in shipping policies of the USPS, we can only ship within the U.S.
Ad Number 167378
Posted: Feb 20, 2021 11:52 AM CDT
Port Townsend Wa. 98368
Tools for the Ad Owner
Ad Owner History
Prior ads by this individual: 915
Prior replies by this individual: 49
Other recent ads placed
• 1930 Gibson TB-00 5 String Conversion
• A.A. Farland 5 String Banjo
• 1988 Richelieu Desert Rose 5-String Banjo
• 1963 Vega Earl Scruggs Banjo
• 1920 Schmick Deluxe 5 String Banjo
• 1931 Bacon & Day Silver Bell #3 Tenor Banjo
• 1927 Epiphone Recording Art Deluxe Plectrum Banjo
• 1920s Schmick 20 Fret Tenor Banjo
• 1945 Epiphone Emperor Arch-Top Guitar
• 1916 Vega Tubaphone “Garber Special” 5 String Banjo
• 1923 Gibson A-2 Loar Era Mandolin
• 1925 Gibson A-4 Blonde Mandolin
• 1929 Paramount Artcraft Tenor Banjo
• 1949 Stradolin "Deluxe" Mandolin
• 1932 Slingerland Songster Mandolin