Denver Folklore Center •
Strings and Beyond •
Morgan Music •
Elderly Instruments •
Mass Street Music •
Collings • Eastman • Peghead Nation • The Music Emporium • Mandolin World Headquarters • JustStrings.com • Weber
Chuck Waldman is a California builder working in the Sierra foothill town of Sonora. His instruments are his own designs and he has come up with some interesting variations for his shells. This model is called "The Chromatic" and it features a cherry pot with a reclaimed redwood tone ring. This is drilled in progressive depths in the same proportion to the fret spacing, hence the "chromatic" designation.
The banjo is loud and bright and not at all "plunky" or dark sounding. It has good volume with strong projection. “This banjo has my new concept for a tone ring: reclaimed redwood,” Waldman says. “I’m using a “guitar top wood” where the rim contacts the banjo head. Just as this wood affects the voice of a guitar, it produces a clear, concise tone for the banjo.”
This Chromatic has a 25 1/2" scale length and a full cherry neck that feels solid in your hand. The metal parts including the tuners are raw brass which will develop a nice patina over a few years. Ebony fingerboard and headstock veneer with a bubinga backstop. It has a 11-inch head and is beautifully crafted. Please note this instrument does not include a case but we do have suitable cases in stock.
MODEL: CHROMATIC CHERRY 5 STRING
SCALE LENGTH: 25.5"
FRETBOARD MATERIAL: EBONY
NECK MATERIAL: CHERRY
TONE RING: REDWOOD
TUNERS: GOTOH BRASS
SERIAL NO: 126
The Gryphone Advantage: This instrument has been personally setup by a member of our repair staff. Gryphon’s sustained commitment to quality ensures that no instrument not at optimal playing condition is sold. This comes with a lifetime discount on future repair and customizations.
* * * * * * * *
Acoustic guitars, mandolins, and banjos are still the mainstays at Gryphon, as they have been for over 45 years, though our inventory of steel guitars and ukuleles continues to grow as well. In recent years an important part of our growth has been in instruments by very small companies and individual makers, as we continue to keep one foot, or at least several toes, outside the mainstream music industry.
Ad Number 163163
Posted: Nov 20, 2020 11:12 AM CDT
Gryphon Stringed Instruments
211 Lambert Ave.
Palo Alto CA 94306
Tools for the Ad Owner
Ad Owner History
Prior ads by this individual: 401
This individual has never replied to an ad using this email address.
Other recent ads placed
• Collings Mandolin MT Deluxe New
• 1993 Dave Dart Mandolin F-5
• 2006 Collings Mandolin MF5 Varnish
• 1993 Flatiron Mandolin Performer A
• Northfield Mandolin NFA-5VIE New
• 2017 Recording King Banjo RK-R36-Br
• Collings Mandolin MT2 Carpathian Spruce New
• Gold Star Banjo Ge-1 Prospector Old Time Banjo New
• Eastman Mandolin MD604, Sunburst New
• Kentucky Mandolin KM-150 New
• Eastman Mandolin MD805Pge New
• Northfield Mandolin A5 Special New
• Gold Star Banjo GF-100JD J.D. Crowe New
• Collings Mandolin MT, Wide Nut New
• Collings Mandolin MF O Deluxe New
• Eastman Mandolin MD605 Sunburst New
• 2019 Pava Mandolin A5 Player
• 1992 Flatiron Mandolin Performer A