Strings and Beyond •
Morgan Music •
Elderly Instruments •
Mass Street Music •
Collings • The Music Emporium • The Acoustic Music Company • Mandolin World Headquarters • JustStrings.com • Weber
Here we have an example of not only the quality of instruments made during the Golden Age of Luthiery, but also a testament to the era of innovation. Among the inventors and innovators were the Dopyera Bros. who created not only the Dobro instruments, but National as well.
One of their most unusual innovations was the Tenortrope, a tenor banjo scaled (22 3/4”) neck with a 9 1/2” spider cone, enabling tenor banjoists the ability to play with even more volume.
This example has some eye-dazzling appointments. From the peg head, with its Playing card inspired inlay (that may have been added later), to the gold plated, engraved metal parts, and the matched 4 piece walnut resonator, this instrument is a delight for the optical orbs.
In fine condition, save for some light scratches on the resonator, the tuning machines have been replaced with modern gold plated Planets with pearl styled buttons. There is evidence that at one time there was an electric pickup installed in the cover plate, and then removed, with the 2 knob and jack holes plugged and re-finished. The neck is straight, with low action and no visible fret wear.
Mandolin players and tenor banjoists will recognize this as an opportunity to add a new dimension to their sound palette. And collectors will want to add this to their “rare and unusual” acquisitions.
$2950 including ‘60s hard case.
Additional photos available upon request
Ad Number 140333
Posted: Jun 9, 2019 01:23 PM CDT
Port Ludlow Wa. 98365
Tools for the Ad Owner
Ad Owner History
Prior ads by this individual: 420
Prior replies by this individual: 14
Other recent ads placed
• Extremely Rare 1925 Weymann Style 2 Guitar Banjo
• 1938 Gibson Tgl-7 Special Tenor Guitar
• Ultra Rare Blonde 1925 Gibson A-4 "Snakehead" Mandolin
• 1928 Gibson Tg-0 Tenor Guitar
• 1927 Epiphone Recording Art Deluxe Plectrum Banjo
• 1958 Calace Bowl Back
• 1930 Gibson TB-4 Conversion 5 String Banjo
• 1988 Richelieu 5 String Banjo Desert Rose Model
• 1924 Gibson Pb-Junior Plectrum Banjo
• 1924 Gibson TB-5 Tenor Banjo
• 1928 Paramount Style B Melody Banjo
• Studio King Flathead 5-String Bluegrass Banjo By Wyatt Fawle
• 1934 Gibson L-75 Arch Top Guitar
• 1924 Gibson A2Z Mandolin (Black)
• 1918 Vega Shaded Top Cylinder-Back Mandolin
• 1932 Kel Kroyden KK-20 Mandolin
• Vega L-100 Mandolin
• 1955 Gibson F-12 Mandolin