Strings and Beyond •
Morgan Music •
Elderly Instruments •
The Mandolin Store •
Collings • The Music Emporium • The Acoustic Music Company • Mandolin World Headquarters • JustStrings.com • Weber
Gibson H-4 Model Carved Top Mandola (1920), made in Kalamazoo, Michigan, serial # 60195, red sunburst varnish finish, maple back and sides, spruce top; laminated mahogany neck with ebony fingerboard, original black hard shell case.
This is an absolutely beautiful looking and great sounding 1920 Gibson H-4 Mandola. As the "middle" instrument in the mando-quartet early 20th Century Gibson mandolas are far from common, even in the 1910's and '20's they were hardly seen outside the confines of mandolin orchestras. As the most expensive Mandola Gibson offered in 1920, the H-4 was produced only in relatively small numbers and is one of the rarest of the mandolin orchestra pieces the company sold at the time. With its larger scroll body and rich red sunburst finish this H-4 is a visually striking instrument, replete with Gibson's signature flowerpot inlay on the art nouveau-styled headstock. This mandola is just about to celebrate its 100th birthday and remains a exquisitely styled and excellent sounding instrument with a smooth and powerful tone suitable for a variety of musical styles, some of which are still waiting to be discovered!
Overall length is 28 1/2 in. (72.4 cm.), 11 in. (27.9 cm.) width, and 2 in. (5.1 cm.) in depth, measured at side of rim. Scale length is 15 3/4 in. (400 mm.). Width of nut is 1 5/16 in. (33 mm.).
Light average play wear overall; the only noticeable repair is a sealed 2" crack to the top just off the scroll. A very faint impression of a strap or similar can be seen on the back finish; this is only noticeable on close observation. A beautiful mandola with a truly wonderful sound. Generally Excellent - Condition.
Ad Number 124589
Posted: May 17, 2018 07:23 AM CDT
233 Butler Street
Brooklyn NY 11217
Ad Owner History
Prior ads by this individual: 740
This individual has never replied to an ad using this email address.
Other recent ads placed:
• Luigi Mozzani Lyre Harp Guitar Restored By John Monteleone
• Gibson Em-150 Hollow Body Electric Mandolin (1937)
• Gibson L-5Cn Arch Top Acoustic Guitar (1962)
• Kalamazoo Kgn-12 Flat Top Acoustic Guitar (1942)
• Gold Tone Gm-Custom Arch Top Mandolin (2014)
• Stromberg Model G-3 Arch Top Acoustic Guitar, C. 1935
• Gibson Uke-1 Soprano Ukulele, C. 1928
• Gibson F-7 Carved Top Mandolin (1934)
• Stradolin Junior Arch Top Mandolin, C. 1950
• Gibson K-4 Carved Top Mandocello (1921)
• Regal Soprano Ukulele, C. 1930
• C. F. Martin 0-18T Flat Top Tenor Guitar (1965)
• Kalamazoo KM-22 Arch Top Mandolin (1939)
• Gibson TB-5 De Luxe Tenor Banjo (1925)
• Gibson Model A-4 Snakehead Carved Top Mandolin (1924)
• Bacon Style #1 Banjo Ukulele (1926)
• Gibson F-5 Carved Top Mandolin (1938)
• Monteleone Grand Artist Carved Top Mandolin (1982)