Thread: Bach E Major Prelude from the Partita No. 3 for Solo Violin Trans

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Bach E Major Prelude from the Partita No. 3 for Solo Violin Trans

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    Bach E Major Prelude from the Partita No. 3 for Solo Violin Transcribed for Mandolin

Mel Bay has announced the publication of Bach E Major Prelude from the Partita No. 3 for Solo Violin Transcribed for Mandolin. The book and audio include fingerings, tablature and a slow performance of the piece.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Default Re: Bach E Major Prelude from the Partita No. 3 for Solo Violin T

Does this book include standard notation or is the sheet music only in tablature?

Joseph Baker

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Baker View Post
    Does this book include standard notation or is the sheet music only in tablature?

Joseph Baker
    It's both. You can go to the Mel Bay site to see a sample.

Why do they have to transcribe it? It's violin music. Same range and tuning!
    Will Patton

Transcription into tab suggests a solution to fingering.... this can be helpful to some folks, but is really a bit crippling in how you might approach a classical piece.... there is much to where you want to play a series of notes, how does it sound on YOUR mandolin, what is the context of the particular passage you are attempting.... do you want fretted notes sounding the same, or fretted and ringing open strings together.... on and on... so many difficulties concerning particular fingering, all very different to different people...

All of this is ignored when seeing TAB... or at least only one solution is offered in the TAB (ususally).
    John D

Quote Originally Posted by JFDilmando View Post
    Transcription into tab suggests a solution to fingering.... this can be helpful to some folks, but is really a bit crippling in how you might approach a classical piece.... there is much to where you want to play a series of notes, how does it sound on YOUR mandolin, what is the context of the particular passage you are attempting.... do you want fretted notes sounding the same, or fretted and ringing open strings together.... on and on... so many difficulties concerning particular fingering, all very different to different people...

All of this is ignored when seeing TAB... or at least only one solution is offered in the TAB (ususally).
    I like Mike Marshall's approach; in his book he gives you a taste of many of them in TAB. And honestly the first 32 measures of the G minor fugue could keep me busy for months. But if you want to study further you need to get the sheet music (standard notation) which is available for free.
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Nov-12-2015 at 10:33pm. Reason: removed broken link

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Will Patton View Post
    Why do they have to transcribe it? It's violin music. Same range and tuning!
    Money.

Because there is a market for tablature.

Long ago I got taken to task hard for challenging an author online here that was extolling the wisdom of only reading standard notation, which I agree with. Problem: everything that person had published had tablature included. I questioned why go online hawking only standard notation when everything they'd published included tablature. If you believe in something, take a stand. The response? "Because otherwise it won't sell."

Only Marilynn Mair in the world of mandolin publishing has had the intestinal fortitude to not provide tablature in her publications. She refuses. I can think of no one else. Maybe Mike Marshall has done a few things... not sure about that.

I'm sure this will rankle a few but it's the truth. It's put into tablature because otherwise it won't sell.

We may ultimately see the entire Bach solo violin works put into tablature for mandolin. I won't buy it because I only use standard notation and already have it in print, but people will be buying that tab version should it ever arise, and I'd bet money someone is already working on it.

Mike Marshall's choro book is entirely standard notation. Initially I was bummed by that fact, but because I wanted to learn some choros I persevered and forced myself to improve my meager reading skills. I'm still not a great sight reader, but I can read much better now as a result.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    Only Marilynn Mair in the world of mandolin publishing has had the intestinal fortitude to not provide tablature in her publications. She refuses. I can think of no one else.
    I recently got "MandoBach: 16 selections from the sonatas and partitas for solo violin by J.S. Bach, edited for Mandolin by John Cranton". No tab, but it has suggestions for mandolin fingering where it would differ from violin fingering. It is my favourite of the 4 "Bach on mandolin" books (I have Marshall's, Waitze's, and Bancalari's too).