Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Vintage Mandolins Under $1,000

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Great Vintage Mandolins Under $1,000

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    Great Vintage Mandolins Under $1,000

In this special article we consulted some of the most experienced names in the music business for their recommendations on vintage mandolins under $1,000 with the idea in mind that you don't have to spend a lot of money to get a very good instrument.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Default Re: Great Vintage Mandolins Under $1,000

It's well worth reminding people that you don't have to be rich to get a rich sound. My personal fave at the moment is a WWII era A-50, and it was indeed less than $1000. BTW, Roland White told me he started out on a Stradolin, before he could afford a Gibson. He, too, said they were a really good mandolin for what you spent, even the ply ones. Too bad the bowlbacks got no love- there are still some beauties mixed in with the piles of wrecks on Ebay.

Wow. What a great article! Thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Schlegel View Post
    Too bad the bowlbacks got no love- there are still some beauties mixed in with the piles of wrecks on Ebay.
    Good point. Let's not count out the fact that a companion look into this is possible in the future, or that there are other versions of something similar looking into other price ranges. Right now I think the $2-3K range for new and used has an incredible amount of interesting possibilities, but I'm not convinced it's necessary to go there.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

This place is being monitored by the mando mafia I guess.

Donīt yīall feel a little scared by telling the truth? I, mean having a horseīs head in your bed and all?

No more pac rim mandolins being sold for interesting prices in your local music store. A-50ies, A-75s, Army-Navy mandos, Martin Aīs, Kalamazooīs, (my favorite) Strad-O-Linīs etc. selling for an all time high ...

... I think this article needs to be deleted as fast as you can.

I donīt know why, but the Dawg, Grandpa Banana, Stan Jay and Brad must have not taken my advice, when I had them over for tea...
    Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post

Donīt yīall feel a little scared by telling the truth? I, mean having a horseīs head in your bed and all?

No more pac rim mandolins being sold for interesting prices in your local music store. A-50ies, A-75s, Army-Navy mandos, Martin Aīs, Kalamazooīs, (my favorite) Strad-O-Linīs etc. selling for an all time high ...

I donīt know why, but the Dawg, Grandpa Banana, Stan Jay and Brad must have not taken my advice, when I had them over for tea...

I'm having trouble making an ounce of sense out of your post Olaf- what are you saying?
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

All made in the good ol USA for the most part! Jus sayin'.

Blog Entries

I'm a fan of the 30's Gibby F-Hole models,,some have great tone,,not much in the volume depo as compared to style 5,,but great little horns..my favorite was a 35 A-50 that I wish I still had with an elevated board!

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

This is a excellent resource for those interested in finding fine vintage mandolins in an affordable price range, as well as being very informative about mandolins in general.
    Considering the collection of experts who have graciously contributed here, this is a must-read for every Cafe member!

Bravo!
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Registered User Chris "Bucket" Thomas's Avatar

Excellent !
    Chris

2007 Gibson F5-L Fern
    1919 Gibson A-0
    2019 Black A4
    BlueRidge BR140
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ChristopherSThomas
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188214780

I was really surprised by the number of times Stradolin was recommended. I knew they had a following but wasn't aware that they rated that high with the "experts". I was also a little surprised that the Gibson built Flatiron Performer A's weren't mentioned. All in all, it was a very well done article.

Quote Originally Posted by danb View Post
    I'm having trouble making an ounce of sense out of your post Olaf- what are you saying?
    It's code, Olaf is a well-known Strad-O-Lin fan.

Anyone looking for more information and some pictures should check out the Strad-O-Lin Social Group. There is an entire genre of mandolins made by whomever built them. They weren't all labeled Strad-O-Lin but they are all easily identified.

My thanks to all involved. A superb resource that I will bookmark and come back to time and again. My only 'complaint' is that it has made my deep, burning need for a mid-20s Gibson A Jr all the more difficult to suppress.

ron

A very solid article, much appreciated. What I like is the fondness that many people feel for these old mandolins, which I share. Besides their qualities, they also hold all that secret history--the people who have played and loved them before us.
    Cary Fagan

When I was collecting, I got about as much pleasure out of finding a great-sounding old beater for a few hundred dollars as I did buying vintage Martin guitars. This was a really fine article. My two best mandolin finds in that category were an A-style Gretsch (at least that's what the shop owner thought it was), and a Weymann Mandolute.

I'd propose taking this idea further. What about an online gallery of great-sounding beaters with pictures and sound clips?

Considering how often this question comes up (on the Cafe and during an ordinary internet search by new players), this is a great resource. Many thanks!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Quote Originally Posted by danb View Post
    I think what Olaf is trying to say is that as soon as the word get out that we are now seeking these under $1000 steals, sellers will start increasing the prices so that they are no longer great deals.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I think what Olaf is trying to say is that as soon as the word get out that we are now seeking these under $1000 steals, sellers will start increasing the prices so that they are no longer great deals.
    I think it means he spent too much time in the sun at the beer garden yesterday.

I have owned and played a number of the mandolins mentioned above. My first "good" mandolin was a "Shiro" A with ff holes made in the late 1970's (I am sure Shiro is another masthead used by Aria. The founder's name was Shiro Arai). The others I have owned under 1K that I would recommend are as follows: 1926 Martin Style B, a 1921 Gibson A (one of the first with a truss rod), a 1980's Mid-Missouri flat-top, a Flatiron flat-top and a '36/37 Gibson A-00 with carved back (sometimes mistakenly called an A-50). I still own the Shiro and the Gibson A-00 and play them often.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

danb

Re: Great Vintage Mandolins Under $1,000

Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher

Thanks Mike,
    thatīs the short of what I was rambling about.

To clarify...
    When I started out on the mandolin my budget was low. Where I lived I might have been in the same situation the multitude of you are. There are not many musical stores that carry mandolins. Those that do mostly have the "usual" brands. At that time when I was looking for an instrument they were Samik, Aria, Kentucky (in that price increase order). I was not satisfied with what I saw, found and played. Like many I also play another instrument so I was not totally green. I researched about mandolins as well as I could in the pre internet days. I also had the good fortune to know a good store in Hamburg. Thatīs where I finally went and I played/tried about all the instruments they had just to find out about each instrumentīs advantages and drawbacks. I wanted to know how they sounded. I tried low price semi acoustic Samiks, Kentucky A-s and F-s, a multitude of different vintage Gibson A-(jr, As, 4s; no 3s and no snakeheads), a Gibson Bill Monroe F-5 (highest price with about 10.000,- DM), a very nice A-5 style mandolin that was built by Mr. Richter, the owner of the shop and finally, allmost as an afterthought I inquired about the Strad-O-Lin brand. They had one mandolin, it sounded very good, it was structurally sound (straight neck, no fret issues, intonation okay, one seam seperation properly treated). It fell into my budget. It sounded the way I wanted a mandolin to sound for what I wanted to play (thatīs why I didnīt buy a Gibson A...). I bought it for a reasonable price and Iīve had nothing but great compliments about it. It is still a very nice mandolin. I only bit the bullet for a "new" mandolin because years later I found a maker that at that time for a relatively reasonable price built a highly professional mandolin. My Strad-O-Lin and my "new" mandolin compare like apples and oranges. They both have a great sound. Yet they are noticably different. Under certain circumstances I would/could be perfectly happy with just my Strad-O-Lin.

This clarification about sums up what all the contributors said about inexpensive vintage mandolins.

I chose to include those in my previous comment that specifically mentioned Strad-O-Lin mandolins as Mike (savvy guy) has understood immediately. Otherwise my original statement intended to poke a little fun, overestimate the effect of this very well conducted interview and criticise those that donīt check out vintage options.

Many a thread Iīve read where the mandolin novice has bought himself a ...(insert all the well known names here). Never was there a mention of what the mandolin should do for that person, what the music was that would be played on the mandolin, what the setting (practice, band, performance etc.) was that the mandolin would be used for etc. That was allways sad because it left out so much. I doubt if that poster would have ever found the best choice for what they could afford and for what theyīd want the mandolin for.

Red Rector played bluegrass on an A-4 (I guess) paddlehead mandolin and it sounded great. I have a Mainers Mountaineers record where the mando picker plays a Strad-O-Lin (oh... not that brand again...), Mike Compton played an A (or Ajr) on the Down From The Mountain show (also played his then Gilchrist #500 I guess too), Buzz Busby was mentioned and he is a must listen, Niles Hokkanen played an F-4 (I guess) on his instruction tapes and they all sound great. This is just the bluegrass side.

When I picked up the Tone Poems I CD in 1994 I thought about it as a labor of love towards great sounding instruments (including the SS Steward Snow Queen - weīre talking mandolins). I also thought about the effect the CD would have on the vintage market (and on marketing a Gilchrist mandolin). It (and its sequels as well as the Tone Poets CD) are great statements about what tone is all about. Never would you be able to say one instrument is better than the other. They all do what they were built to do and each instrument has its special place. Listening to recordings like Traversata by Beppe Gambetta and Carlo Aonzo even widens the perspective as it includes bowl back instruments.

I know people who each have several modern mandolins that cost up to 1.900,- USD each. They claim to be looking for the differences in the sound of these mandolins. Had the people I know invested in the mandolins that have been mentioned here, A-00, A-75, A-jr, A, A-3, Kalamazoo, Army Navy, vintage Washburn, Martin A, Epiphone etc. they really would have had a wide variety of sound choices (pun intended). The mandolins that they have though sound pretty much the same to me. Whatīs more, they lack the musical spice that only a well played (vintage) instrument can have.

Closing out Iīd like to express my wish that every aspiring mandolin player ought to read this interview whenever heīs on the hunt for a new mandolin. It is very well that even those with a budget that could buy a new car think about these seemingly lesser instruments once in a while - as the contributors to this interview aparently do time and again. I donīt expect the interview to be the turningpoint in the (musical) evaluation of inexpensive vintage instruments though (sigh).

And I wouldnīt have minded having had the people that I mentioned over for tea.
    Olaf

22. The following members say thank you to grassrootphilosopher for this post:

JRG 

Just want to add my Kudos to Scott for getting these honorable players to comment on this subject. This is what makes the Mandolin Cafe the coolest site on the net!!

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    BINGO!! A great article, but: BINGO.

Wish I had known in time to stock up for resale. Aw well......................

I was happy to contribute to the Vintage Mandolins Under $1K feature, but I left out one bargain since they don't come around THAT often, and I'd have had to 'cheat' a little. The early 20th c. carved instruments by Lyon & Healy were made in three styles and two scale lengths, (a short scale similar to a Martin bent top and a long scale, close to Gibson). Even the most modest, the Style C was built to a level of fit and finish quite comparable to Gibson's top of the line A-4 but with a sweet tone that is all their own. Observers of the vintage market will note that these instruments in good condition sell for well over our price limit, but over the years, many have lost THIS flashy feature:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LH Tailpiece.jpg 
Views:	38791 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	84024

The ornate and lovely L&H tailpiece cover, which on its own sells for $4-500 dollars. So there you have it! If you happen upon a Style C in good condition, MISSING its tailpiece cover and perhaps without its original hardshell case, you may well snag it for just under four figures (a short scale C just sold on ebay for $1400, WITH tailpiece cover and a low-end case). No one would call the L&H a traditional bluegrass beast, but if you've ever heard Norman Blake play his Style B, on his old Homespun instructional tape, you know how sweet they can be! They stand comfortably alongside the top of the Gibson line as the finest carved, oval hole mandolins of the great mandolin boom of the early 20th century.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, TwangboxŪ
    TwangboxŪ Videos

A case in point, NFI

http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/msg/2909073585.html
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; May-21-2012 at 4:08pm. Reason: link no longer applies to news article comments
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings