Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Michael Jackson

Default RIP Michael Jackson

http://www.popeater.com/music/articl...at-50%2F544453

Well, I was a huge fan of MJ as a kid and LOVED watching the marathons of him when I was growing up on MTV and VH1 (Making of Thriller was my fave!)
    I just can't believe he died. Now I have no opinion of his personal life (we can leave that out) But we can all agree he had a pretty impressive career, rockin' lyrics and moves. Another music legend bites the dust =[
    Rest in Peace broski

I just CANT believe it =[=[=[
    I think I'm pretty upset over this

Default Re: RIP Michael Jackson

50 is way too young to pass on. R.I.P. Michael. And let's not forget the passing of Farrah Fawcett this morining as well.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Any MJ mandolin content? I can't think of any...
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

there will be after tonight, I'm playing a duo gig (gtr. and mando) and we're going to try and pull off a couple of MJ covers...RIP King of Pop

1924 Gibson A Jr. Snakehead
    2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

Tragic figure. I believe there's a certain inevitability in this...considering the Elvis.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Cheryl call to tell me that----and nothing else.

"Babe, you know not to bother me while I'm driving unless it's important."

Click.

My sympathy lies with his family, but no more than anyone else that looses a loved one.
    Just when I got a paddle, they added more water to the creek.

Watching those clips on the news of his showmanship and dancing at 10 years old....... what a whirlwind he must have been on. How could you possibly handle that much attention?

Back then the smart money was on Jermaine...

Sure were smart.

Blog Entries

Mandolin content:

Michael Jackson, as you'll remember, did two duets with Sir Paul McCartney in the early 80's: Say Say Say and The Girl is Mine. Sir Paul currently holds the title of the world's most well known left-handed mandolinist (and, yeah, he did that Beatles and Wings thing too).

RIP The King of Pop

What a shame. One of the greatest performers to have ever,lived. A very talented individual to say the least. I would have liked to have had the opportunity to know the person and what made him tick. It would have been interesting to see how his comeback tour faired and what new songs he had up his sleeve. Hopefully they'll be released in the future. RIP

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rest in peace, tortured genius. Weird as he's been the last decade there will always be a soft spot in my heart for the music of Michael Jackson.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Eschliman View Post
    Rest in peace, tortured genius. Weird as he's been the last decade there will always be a soft spot in my heart for the music of Michael Jackson.
    Agree.

And the question of whether there's mandolin content is a question that doesn't need to be asked or answered. This is a public forum that discusses music. We provide our own moderators, thank you, and please be respectful or move on.

<Inappropriate remarks removed by site owner>
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Jun-25-2009 at 9:05pm.

Rest In Peace.
    mikeguy

Actually, right after Thriller came out, David Grisman would quote either "Beat It" or "Billy Jean" in one of his solos in shows--was a cool thing back then...

John Bird

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

It's too bad his personal life, or how that was perceived, especially later on, overshadowed his accomplishments, as they were many. Before "Thriller," there were few, if any, black artists' videos on MTV. "Thriller" was such a big hit that it, and he, could not be denied. His music and videos broke new ground, and inspired a LOT of others. That "King Of Pop" sobriquet was hung on him - he did not call himself that, nor did he seek such a title - but he deserved it, and he earned it. A fair amount of his success was due to Quincy Jones' arrangement and production skills, and he never failed to give him credit. But with the typical American starmaking machinery so over-the-top in his case, it's no wonder he seemed to become a bit odd. That amount of idolization has to have a deleterious effect on one, especially someone as shy as he was, and surely wanted to be left alone amuch more than he was allowed to be. I expect the late night talk show hosts and other comedians are going to have a field day, taking all kinds of pot shots at his expense, but I think it's well to try and remember someone for what he accomplished in his life, and leave the rest to muckrakers. He was not one of my favorites, but he's obviously one of the all-time great pop artists.

I never saw him - I did see Janet once, which was a bit strange and disappointing, as she devoted much more of the show to spectacle than music - but the last time that I saw Miles Davis, one standout of the concert was a version of one of Michael's songs, "Human Nature." It was the most melodic moment of the show. Here's a hot if long version.

Last edited by journeybear; Jun-25-2009 at 10:00pm.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by JimRichter View Post
    Mandolin content:

Michael Jackson, as you'll remember, did two duets with Sir Paul McCartney in the early 80's: Say Say Say and The Girl is Mine. Sir Paul currently holds the title of the world's most well known left-handed mandolinist (and, yeah, he did that Beatles and Wings thing too).

RIP The King of Pop
    Michael Jackson, a big talent lost too early, and one degree of separation from a mandolin.

BTW Jim, I'm surprised you haven't yet covered a MJ song on your youtube channel, something like Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' or PYT.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

50! I'm 50. That is way too young to go. RIP, Michael.
    Brian T. Walker
    Down beside the Alamo
    In the Lone Star State

"Ignorance is when you don't know something and somebody finds it out."
    -- Kenneth "Jethro" Burns

Blog Entries

I have two favorite MJ memories. The first is almost secret shames because in College I wasn't supposed to like him. Smooth Criminal is a great song and second, I'm amazed at MJ's influence to have the Filipino Jail House make this (one of the most famous Youtube videos.

RIP Michael.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Young View Post
    there will be after tonight, I'm playing a duo gig (gtr. and mando) and we're going to try and pull off a couple of MJ covers...RIP King of Pop
    Cool, please let us know how it works out ...
    And the question of whether there's mandolin content is a question that doesn't need to be asked or answered. This is a public forum that discusses music. We provide our own moderators, thank you, and please be respectful or move on.
    Apologies. The question certainly wasn't intended that way. Certainly the board discusses many musicians who aren't mandolinists. I was just wondering what connections might exist between the king of pop and the king of instruments. And others have volunteered some connections of exactly that sort.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

ABC lays real nice on the mando in G. I've heard a lot of R&B played in jams at Winfield. Can't remember anything specifically Jackson 5. I'll Be There is certainly a beautiful song. The guy had a marvelous voice, to be sure. RIP, Michael.
    Mike Snyder

I've been playing "I Want You Back" for a couple of years. The bass line sounds cool on mandolin.

And I agree with Ted. All else aside, I admired the superlative singer/entertainer that MJ was.

I hold no ill will towards the man, but he was no hero. he paid 22 million in hush money for molesting little boys, That's a fact. He was a sad story of a talented cute little kid who was used to make money for his dad Joe who was accused of molesting his own children, It's quite the sad tale of a kid who was never allowed to just enjoy the simple day to day smiles that a child should enjoy. It's just bad karma to bash the dead, but to have a M.J. lovefest is just a tad unjustified taking in the whole picture and to overly censure is not cool either. It was an odd existence. It seemed he wanted to escape his color and return to his childhood by living in his own manmade amusement park. Marrying Lisa Marie was an odd happening too, Crazy stuff, Sad tragic stuff, God bless us all, but their are much more worthy folks of praise, I'll be 46 later this year and have lost a couple friends who were stellar human beings these last few years, I shed my tears appropriately.

He was a great entertainer as a dancer and singer. In life we're all molded by our life's expeiences and he didn't get a fair shake and that may have lead him to the paths he traveled? I feel sorry for him, I do wish him peace, understanding, and forgiveness in his afterlife. R.I.P.
    Live Full, Love Deep

A major talent, drowned in a sea of slime and weirdness. Friend of mine saw MJ at an antiques dealers' show at a NYCity armory a decade ago. He was there "incognito," by which I mean he was wearing a leather mask. Of course this attracted no attention, and no one guessed who it was (sarcasm intentional). What we can hope is that time will wash away all the crud, and we'll be left with his music.

And, pardon me, but did all the cable networks have to drop everything and spend hours showing pictures of the outside of the UCLA medical center, while a variety of "anchors" and "reporters" competed for creative ways to tell us they had nothing to tell us? Princess Di all over again. One can be respectful, regretful, and informative, and then pass on to the rest of the world's events. Can't one?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM