Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 stringed Guittern

Blog Entries

Default Re: 5 stringed Guittern

It's here. It's big. It's simple and beautiful. It's got a huge, warm, full sound that fills a room easily. I feel like a kid - like I know nothing and can't yet handle it's potential. Sorry, but I really don't have any photos or sound clips. I'll try to get some during by the weekend and post them here or elsewhere. It's hard to capture this thing right now...

I'm really kind of dumbfounded. The sound port adds a completely different sense to the sound of the instrument in a room that's really hard to capture on a mic. It's simply big, full, clear, and delicious.

I'm also working on adjusting to playing single strings - it has a very different feel than any of my double course instruments.

-Phil

So, does that mean your avatar will be changing?

Having bought two custom instruments in my lifetime, I can appreciate how cool it is to get what one wishes. That top will open up fairly quickly, and I can only imagine how great it will sound in a few weeks....
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Blog Entries

Okay, pictures are up on the "Guittern Finished!" thread.

Blog Entries

Here's a short video of me noodling on the instrument. Not the greatest, but it gives an idea. Sorry, no rhythm playing - I'm still working on how to do that with this instrument. For that matter, I'm still getting used to the long scale length - so please forgive the flubs!

That C string sounds deep and rich. Mr. Shenk got that right and all the rest of it too. What wonderful tone! It's only going to get better, too.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilGE View Post
    Here's a short video of me noodling on the instrument. Not the greatest, but it gives an idea. Sorry, no rhythm playing - I'm still working on how to do that with this instrument. For that matter, I'm still getting used to the long scale length - so please forgive the flubs! :grin
    Phil,

Very, VERY nice! I can just imagine how it sounds in person. That one's a keeper, for sure.

Blog Entries

Don and Gerry, thanks for the compliments. I'm slowly adjusting to it after throwing myself into some jam opportunities. Lots to learn, esp. since I'd like to try some fingerpicking (whole new world for me).

-Phil

flyfishermandolinist

ditto on the C sounding great! Thanks for posting. Looking forward to the rhythm playing and fingerpicking. Have fun, but I don't have to tell you that!
    Weber Bitterroot mandolin
    Harmony CBOM Conversion