Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: martin oddity - 1899

Default martin oddity - 1899

i'd seen photos of these but never heard one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBuRh...eature=channel

... he says it was made by c.f. martin - sept. 1899 - bought 37 years ago for $75. no disrespect meant but its visual impact is way more impressive than the audio - imho.

Lover of Weber & Martin Rod_Neep's Avatar

Default Re: martin oddity - 1899

That instrument should have WAY more open sustain than that!
    I had my hands on one once, and it rang on with a great wooomph!

Rod

I wonder if it has to do with his play style... he seems to be muting the strings at the bridge.

Lefty?

The strings could be dead as well.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Phylum Octochordata Mike Bromley's Avatar
    Canucklehead from Cowgary, Oilberta. Spend half my time in Iraq. A wacky life.

So THAT's what happens when you water an F-4!
    Root'n Toot'n World trav'ln Rock sniff'n Microscope twiddl'n Mando Mercenary
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

Dead strings or not, I love this guy! His other videos are all delightful! Looks like a really fun act to watch....

I think the webcam is flipping the image. There's one video of a band practice with three other guys who also appear to be lefties. Odds against that are pretty high.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

well, howdy; here's some pix of "fred"- original box, note tail piece. the original bridge raised the strings to high, so every few years I carve a new one out of a block of ebony. consequently the sound of 'her' changes with each new one.I'm still not happy with the sound today, some buzz,not enuff resonance. so, back to the table saw. What I would like is any info that any body else might have on this model by c.f. martin. then I'll fill you all in on the rumors I've heard- Fred sounds a lot better live- come catch a show- thanks bill for the link to this site-- da Prof p.s.-we're all leftys!! nyuk,nyuk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 4.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	38959   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0316.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	38960  
    Last edited by madphd; Feb-14-2009 at 9:52am. Reason: flip photo

Quote Originally Posted by madphd View Post
    well, howdy; here's some pix of "fred"- original box, note tail piece. the original bridge raised the strings to high, so every few years I carve a new one out of a block of ebony. consequently the sound of 'her' changes with each new one.I'm still not happy with the sound today, some buzz,not enuff resonance. so, back to the table saw. What I would like is any info that any body else might have on this model by c.f. martin. then I'll fill you all in on the rumors I've heard- Fred sounds a lot better live- come catch a show- thanks bill for the link to this site-- da Prof p.s.-we're all leftys!! nyuk,nyuk.
    you might want to post any queries you have about this spectacular looking beast of yours over to the "looking for information about mandolins" section of the forum, under "miscellaneous" heading. terrific photo - thanks for the closeup - bill

Howe-Orme

Why does anyone identify that as either a Martin or a Howe Orme? It's not either. I don't know what it is, but I know it's not as identified. Check with Lowell Levinger of Players Vintage Instruments.

Between Lowell and myself, we've owned the largest collection of Howe Ormes, at one time having over 25 between the two of us...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Turner View Post
    Why does anyone identify that as either a Martin or a Howe Orme? It's not either. I don't know what it is, but I know it's not as identified.
    Sorry, Rick. it may not be a Howe-Orme, of which you are the expert, but this one was made by Martin for C.H. Gaskins & Company of Shamokin, PA. There is a reference on page 199 of Johnson and Boak's new Martin Book (volume 2).

I have attached Gaskin's patent from 1895.

There is at least one other, plainer than Jess's. Elderly had it for sale and you can see it here. I believe that that one is the very same one pictured in the Martin book.

Name:	gaskin_pat_fig.gif 
Views:	168 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	44654   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gaskinpat_desc.gif 
Views:	163 
Size:	177.8 KB 
ID:	44655  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Some other shots.

Name:	martin_harpmando-schenkman.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	44657  

Jim Garber seems to have nailed it. Has a headstock very reminiscent of a Martin-- it's a pretty distinctive design and I'd have to lean toward Martin--but mostly if it is a Martin --it would probably be stamped "Martin" either on the back of the headstock or have a inside brand --they were pretty consistant about that-- they were Martin after all and weren't building for the "trade" like alot of others were. They seemed to brand their name on instruments that they made for others, such as Wurlitzer and even more recently the Schoenbergs still have a C.F. Martin brand inside. The inlayed pickguard is similar to a Howe Orme but that in itself isn't enough --ornate inlayed pickguards were all the rage it seems in late 1900's and you see that on alot of instruments. They are often so similar I've often wondered if the were maybe supplied by an outside manufacturer like tuners or tailpieces were.
    "Banjonana" beat me out on ebay for a Howe Orme guitar once. It turned out to be Lowell "Banana" Levinger.

Quote Originally Posted by barney 59 View Post
    Jim Garber seems to have nailed it. Has a headstock very reminiscent of a Martin-- it's a pretty distinctive design and I'd have to lean toward Martin--but mostly if it is a Martin --it would probably be stamped "Martin" either on the back of the headstock or have a inside brand --they were pretty consistant about that-- they were Martin after all and weren't building for the "trade" like alot of others were. They seemed to brand their name on instruments that they made for others, such as Wurlitzer and even more recently the Schoenbergs still have a C.F. Martin brand inside. The inlayed pickguard is similar to a Howe Orme but that in itself isn't enough --ornate inlayed pickguards were all the rage it seems in late 1900's and you see that on alot of instruments. They are often so similar I've often wondered if the were maybe supplied by an outside manufacturer like tuners or tailpieces were.
    "Banjonana" beat me out on ebay for a Howe Orme guitar once. It turned out to be Lowell "Banana" Levinger.
    It was made by Martin for C.H. Gaskins & Company of Shamokin, PA. as stated before.
    Here are the stamps.

Name:	90U-4930_cfm-stamp_sm_.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	44658   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90U-4930_gaskins-stamp_sm_.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	44659  

here's another, more recent video from this guy. i still think the sound's a bit thin - better for chords than melody - but its looks alone make it something special:

One of these days, Jess, who grew up in my town, has threatened to come with Fred, so I will have a hands on experience. I will report back when that happens.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

well, that's right-- I, 'Fred' really are a C.F. Martin---© 'sept'99--- and I will be in Jims area oct 10-11, to see more of me now, check out-- http://www.youtube.com/user/jessyoungquest --subscribe and leave mssgs there--- thanks--- Fred--

Mandolin Brothers visited the Martin factory and posted a shot from the museum. In it you can see the other horned mandolin.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

and the plaque says-"unique, one of a kind"-- there right-- 'FRED' has more detail--and class--

Hey Jess:
    I did play Fred when I saw you a few months ago. I would suggest that you have a good luthier look at him, rather than keep cutting new bridges. Like many fine elderly instruments, it may be time for a neck reset or at least to check some of the braces which might have come unglued. I would hate to see this treasure (your trademark) implode plus I think you could improve the sound and playability. Just my dos centavos, amigo.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

just read your 'dos centovos'--- and, your right, Jim. Now where can I get the cash and who can I trust to do the work?

just read your 'dos centovos'--- and, your right, Jim. Now where can I get the cash and who can I trust to do the work?
    So, sticking in my oar again: Ithaca Guitar Works in Ithaca, Bernie Lehmann or Dave Stutzman here in Rochester. "Fred" is a marvel!
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

i've had two instruments resurrected (!) by a luthier and it was worth every penny - madphd-ette won't mind ... will she?