Thread: Bluegrass In Baltimore: The Hard Drivin' Sound & Its Legacy

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Bluegrass In Baltimore: The Hard Drivin' Sound & Its Legacy

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    Bluegrass In Baltimore: The Hard Drivin' Sound & Its Legacy

Bluegrass in Baltimore, published by McFarland Books set for release June 2015 is the first book to take an in-depth look into how the music that was played in Baltimore came to wield influence across a broad musical landscape.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Default Re: Bluegrass In Baltimore: The Hard Drivin' Sound & Its Legacy

I get bluegrass and early country-western influences from my mom. She and her family (minus her dad; died from an accident in the coal mines nr Scranton, Pa in 10/1942) moved to Baltimore mid-1943. I suppose though I'm not certain she'd listen to the Opry over the old NBC Red Radio network. Growing up she'd have local station WBMD playing when Ray Davis was broadcasting from Johnny's New and Used Cars, forty-eight oh one HART-ford Road. I remember hearing Ralph Stanley live n on the air, and sometimes Ralph would sell a car! My bluegrass influences did not really solidify until the Dirt Band's Circle came out in 1972. I was seriously hooked then.

Default Re: Bluegrass In Baltimore: The Hard Drivin' Sound & Its Legacy

This book looks great, and I look forward to reading it, and thank you to the author for writing it and the publisher for publishing it, but, is that a nylon string guitar on the cover?