Thread: Moving on Up, to a Mandola

Blog Entries

Default Moving on Up, to a Mandola

After due consideration, I've decided to order a mandola...

You don't run into mandolas all that often but each time I have, I've been captivated. The first one I ever played was an Eastman at Appalacian Bluegrass in Baltimore. I took right to it. The fifth tuning works just as well in longer scale and I was able to play it straight away. Interesting, but I still on my mandolin quest.

There was used Gibson that made its way to Guitar Tex but it was too soon after getting the Bighorn to consider another instrument but I still found it really intriguing. It is just such a cool sound.

Went to one house concert and saw Steve Smith and Chris Sanders. Steve was smoking his Ellis like usual and he had a Martin D-28 for some songs but he also had a vintage Gibson mandola. For the couple of songs he used the mandola, it was the obvious choice and it really expanded the tonal range for song support. Then Paul Glasse played a house concert in San Antonio and showed off his new Arrow mandola. It just sounded so good and suggested a repertoire of mando tunes in a lower, more sonorous timbre and register.

Over this time Brian Walker and I have been chatting. He's thinking mandola too - maybe a fan fret - but I don't think he's as wound up about it as I am. We ran into another mandola, a used Eastman again, at Fiddler's Green during one of our periodic forays into Austin for mando class. The price was right but I was actually looking for a guitar. (My guitar quest was solved when I got the Martin for my birthday.)

This fall a used Weber Octar made its way to Guitar Tex. It was very neat and a super player but it was just too low. It was the first quality octave mandolin family instrument I had played (the rest were value TC types). This kind of said there was a lower limit to my four course desire as I actually prefer guitar in that range and my Martin can give more oomph by far.

So mandola it is but what mandola? I going for a Weber Gallatin. I'm a fan of the Weber sound and from what I've seen they build all their mandolins with the same care with only the appointments separating them in price so I thougt it would be wise to experiment at an entry level price.

Since I wanted a different voice I'm stepping away from the f-hole. During my mandolin quest I was very interested in a used D-hole Bridger that moved through Guitar Tex a couple of years ago. Since that time I've played several more D and Oval holed Webers and I always prefer the D models. I really liked the smoothness of the sound from that mandolin but it wasn't what I wanted for a mandolin. I think it's going to be perfect for a mandola.

I'm getting the 'The Weber' headstock inlay to match the Bighorn. I've never cared for the redish leather color used on the current Gallatins so I'm going for the antique walnut which should also tie in with the Bighorn. Traditional Brekke bridge. The BR-140 is already at Guitar Tex for the down payment. It should take about three to four months to build, sufficient for me to sequester the scratch. In the process of making this decision, I asked Weber a question and they've called me twice to chat.

I was surprised yesterday when rooting around the Weber website. I found a note from Ted E talking about trying out the build to order system and he ordered almost the same instrument.

I'm bursting with anticipation so I just had to chat...
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

Default Re: Moving on Up, to a Mandola

Congrats! I picked up an old badly refinished Gibson H1 early this year, and had it set up and re-refinished by John Alison up in Austin. It's a fantastic instrument. Absolutely killer bee for Celtic stuff. I've been taking some lessons via Skype with Orrin Star, who is a 'dola fanatic as well.

Way to go, George. You've been drooling over this for some time, so I'm glad you've made your decision. I look forward to getting to test drive it.
    Brian T. Walker
    Down beside the Alamo
    In the Lone Star State

"Ignorance is when you don't know something and somebody finds it out."
    -- Kenneth "Jethro" Burns

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

George I did actually order the Gallatin D-hole dola. Mine's scheduled to be ready in February. I stuck with the standard finish, but I did request the antiqued gold hardware. I'm starting to get excited about it. The folks at Weber have been great to work with.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

You'll love having that extra, different voice to use in your music. Also, the "head transposition" mandola players need to do, to play tunes by ear, keeps your brain agile. ("This tune's in D, but I have to act like it's in A, 'cause I'm playing mandola, not mandolin.")

However, I still haven't learned to read alto clef, after 25+ years with a mandola. My bad.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

.. on your way to having a Quartet, 1 Mandocello, 1 Mandola, and 2 Mandolins ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Congratulations! I bought a Weber A-style F-hole mandola early this year and really enjoy playing it.

George, if you want your mandola to match the color of your Bighorn, send me some pictures and I'll make it happen.

Everytime I play a mandola I get a wee hankering for one - looking forward to seeing some pix of yours when you get it.

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I'm having a blast with my 'dolas. I have an A-style with ff holes and a flattop oval hole. Playing the 'dola has really helped me with music theory.

Being a reformed Violist I really, really want a Dola! And I only read Alto clef with any fluency! Shame I'm a poor bloke. Have fun with your new axe. Post pics when you get it.

JR

Blog Entries

It's here... It arrived Monday but I was jammed up at work and could not get away until today. I am so excited, it was love at first sight. I'm not going to try to do a review yet I just wanted everyone to know it was here.

Once again, this was a design your own venture. It's a Gallatin Mandola with "The Weber" on the headstock, a trad Brekke Bridge, a D hole and Antique Walnut instead of the normal finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	George's Mandola.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	69816  
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    Martin Guitars

I was chauffeur when George picked up his new Gallatin mandola today, so I got a chance to play around on it for a VERY brief moment while he was talking to the shop owner, Mark.

Very nice. Ordered using the "build-a-mando" feature from Weber, the satin finish looks great with the antique walnut color. The fingerboard has some variation in color that perfectly matches the rest of the instrument. But the sound! Wow! Beautiful all the way up the neck. The D-hole really mellows the tone, so none of the punch of f-holes, but deep, almost growly, lows that rumble in your guts. I messed around playing "Rise", so the open chords really had a chance to ring out.

I am impressed. Weber is making a fine product, and this is a perfect example of how Weber is getting that quality to musicians the way they want it. George, you are one lucky son of a biscuit eater.
    Brian T. Walker
    Down beside the Alamo
    In the Lone Star State

Blog Entries

So Brian, was this enough to get you to order that 5 course, fan fret mandola you have been contemplating?
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    Martin Guitars

Steve Smith and his friends are great. Be sure to post a clip when you get the mandola.

Congratulations on that George - it looks like a real beauty!

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Show us a pic of the back. I know you got one while you were taking that first shot, right? I really like the flame, so contrasting it almost looks like tiger stripes.

The fan fret is on a back burner, circumstances changing since the iron was hot.
    Brian T. Walker
    Down beside the Alamo
    In the Lone Star State

As you play it for awhile I'd like to learn the strings you gravitate to.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B. T. Walker View Post
    Show us a pic of the back. I know you got one while you were taking that first shot, right? I really like the flame, so contrasting it almost looks like tiger stripes...
    Well I didn't get a picture of the back. If we have sun tomorrow I'll get a shot then,
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    Martin Guitars

Blog Entries

No sun on Saturday but yes on Sunday. Look for the pictures in the picture section.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    Martin Guitars