Thread: REGAL Mandolin

Default REGAL Mandolin

Hello,
    I recently purchased this Mandolin, and am having trouble finding any information on its history. I have always been fascinated with the Mandolin because my Great, Great Uncle is the well known Dave Appolon.
    When I saw this beautiful instrument...I just had to have it!
    Now if I only knew something more about the "REGAL"
    Images will enlarge if you click on them.
    Thanks for any help!

Default Re: REGAL Mandolin

A few more pics...

Regal was a Chicago instrument label. Here is a link that gives some of the company history: http://www.jagshouse.com/music/regal.html

You have a very nice bowl-back mandolin, I'm sure you uncle could have made some wonderful music on it. You could post an inquiry on the Classical/Medieval forum for some ideas on the types of music played on such an instrument.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Wow! Thanks for the link Capt. E
    So, This Mandolin could be dated between 1896 - 1902 or 1903?...AMAZING!
    Is there any way to identify the exact year/date made based of the Serial Number? (Anyone)
    Thanks for your help,
    Sparky*

The tuner buttons look like the ones on my old gibson A.

Sparky, I think its likely that what you have is one of the 1901-1904 Regals that the Larsons made for Regal before it was sold to Lyon &Healy. The purfling looks like a distinctive pattern that they made. a good closeup of that would help me be sure, there. The skirting outline with the indent on the back of the neck is a big clue also. Peghead shape is similiar to my Maurer. I just bought one also, not as fancy as yours, but it has not yet arrived in the mail. I'll get some pics when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by F-2 Dave View Post
    The tuner buttons look like the ones on my old gibson A.
    Correct, they're Handels. I have some on a possibly Larson made Stahl. I am more sure of the ID on this mandolin.

Heres some close-ups...

Thank you all for the help!

I am sure your great great uncle Dave could coax some beautiful music from this mandolin. However, he was a very well known endorser of Gibson F-5's from the late 20's onward. There may be some very old pictures of him playing non Gibson mandolins (possibly of Russian origin) but the images I most remember are of the Gibson years after he arrived in the US.

BTW - that is a beautiful mandolin you have. Maybe some of Uncle Dave's musical genes were passed down to you. That would be nice!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Actually it's not a Chicago Regal, it's an Indianapolis Regal made by the Wulschner Company. The story of the company is actually in the link above.

The purfling isn't the pattern I was thinking of after all... just made me think of it out of focus. So I will backtrack to just agreeing with Mike... Indianapolis Regal.

I thought it might be an early Regal when they were in Indianapolis, great to have confirmation. Those Handel tuners are especially pretty.

Dave A may have never played an instrument quite like this one, that is true. I probably don't have to tell you what a remarkable musician he was. Great to hear you appreciate your family history.

Did a case came with it? Keep it safe. Especially don't let it dry out. 40-50% humidity is ideal.
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Penny Whistle

You Cafe-ers are pretty thorough. The only thing I would add is that Samuel Siegel, the famous midwestern virtuoso was an endorser of the Wulschner Regal mandolin. These were quite nice mandolins and AFAIK were the equal of similar Washburns and Vegas.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

It was a pretty easy ID actually, you just had to look at the label.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	indyregal..jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	58023  

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    It was a pretty easy ID actually, you just had to look at the label.

Thanks again everyone for the help, I starting to wonder about its worth for insurance purposes. This seems to be an interesting Mandolin, with interesting history. Since I am just starting to take a real interest, and because I know nothing about values...Does anyone know off hand what a Gibson A-5 might cost me?
    Is my Mandolin rare enough that the value might cover the cost of a nice Gibson A-5?
    Thanks again for all the wonderful help,
    Sparky*

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky* View Post
    ...Is my Mandolin rare enough that the value might cover the cost of a nice Gibson A-5?
    No, it won't be anywhere near it. Although these don't come up all that often (I've actually owned two in the last 10 years or so), they don't bring large sums of money.

If you want to learn to play, this old Regal would be a good place to start. It needs light strings, never medium or heavy. Also have it inspected by a good repair tech first for proper set up etc. A mandolin of this sort will be easier on the fingers than a modern arch top/flat back. Many old time players use "tater bugs" for the vintage sound. Of course, you've got european folk and classical/medieval music. Not all mandolin players play bluegrass...far from it.
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Penny Whistle

Thank you all for the reply's
    I have decided with much thought to part with this Mandolin to gear up in purchasing a Gibson similar to what my Great, Great Uncle Dave Apollon played. I sell on the well known auction site, and with that being said...Enjoy bidding

Thanks again,
    Sparky*