Thread: Ultex - Ultem Picks

Default Ultex - Ultem Picks

Yea, another pick thread. Been combing the archives for kernals of wisdom to ease the PAS.

It appears Clayton and Dunlop max out at 1.14 for these picks in the larger profiles. Dunlop's Sharp guitar pick however is available in 1.40 and 2.00 which I aquired a dozen each along with ordering the new FW74's from Eldery.

Rounded off the sharp point from one of each guage then beveled and polished the edges. Pretty tickled with the control and sound of these, but would like to have a larger pick to wrap my paws around.

Is a pick maker making bigger profile picks in heavier guages from this material? I've read here on MC it's tough material and beats up the dies...

Anyone else tweaking the Sharps to get the feel and sound your after, any pointers or tips appreciated.

Steve - bone head noob
    Oregon

Default Re: Ultex - Ultem Picks

They are my current favorite, and like you I also rounded the tip to make it less pointy. I didn't put much of a bevel on the edge, and simply rounded the edge to make it nice and smooth. I do wish they come in the larger triangular shape that I normally prefer. I also haven't seen other non-Dunlop brand Ultex picks before. If you or someone else come across any I would love to know more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1652.JPG 
Views:	1711 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	63550

The "Sharp" is the pointy version of the Ultex. They used to only come with a normal point, and as far as I know you can still get them. In my opinion, the Clayton Ultems, even though it seems to be the same material, do not feel and play as good as the Dunlop Ultexes. Is that 1.40 on those sharps up there? I'd like to try them. The heaviest Ultex I've founds is 1.14.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

I just checked on Amazon, and Ultex Sharp 1.4 and 2.0 are both available in six packs from BG Music. Less than $4.00 / six and free shipping.

If you are into making your own picks, you can buy sheets of the stuff in varying thicknesses here.

I play classical style using a long pointy Roman-style pick and other than using that organic material this is the next best thing. It is rather hard tho and does take some time to work it down, esp the thicker variety. I cut using a sharp knife or tin snips then rough shape using a Dremel tool and polish down from there.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim:

Thanks for the link, I saw your post about making double point picks while digging through the searches. The Sharps are an adequate size even after reworking, just not as big as I would like. Might have to go your route.

Steve
    Oregon

It is relatively expensive material, but I bought two sheets of 1/32" and 1/16" 12 X 12 and I have made quite a few picks from that and even sent part ot the sheets to friend to do the same.

It is a lot cheaper tho than the material that Blue Chip picks are made from. I can't recall the name for that plastic but I think a small piece is something like a few hundred dollars.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yea but, .06 is 1.5mm. Out of a 12 x 12 (144in^2) might be able to get +/-100 picks if I lay it out and cut smart. If shipping's $10 then it's around 40 cents a pick. 100 picks ought to be a lifetime supply! hhhhmmmm... ya got me thinking about giving this a shot.

Steve
    Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by whyner View Post
    100 picks ought to be a lifetime supply!
    My problem with lifetime supplies of things like picks and strings (and mandolins and guitars!) is that the "lifetime" only lasts until I decide I really, truly, madly, deeply prefer a slightly different type of pick or string (or mandolin or guitar). Which can be a pretty short "lifetime". Oh well, that's what the Classifieds are for...

Quote Originally Posted by barrangatan View Post
    I do wish they come in the larger triangular shape that I normally prefer. I also haven't seen other non-Dunlop brand Ultex picks before. If you or someone else come across any I would love to know more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1652.JPG 
Views:	1711 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	63550
    They do come in the larger triangular shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1246493905_ULTEX_TRI_463X342.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	63558  

Clayton makes them too in Ultem.

I use that larger size for guitar, gives me three equal points to wear out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guitarpicks_ultem.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	63559  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dobbs View Post
    They do come in the larger triangular shape.
    But it appears only up to 1.14mm gauge.

Steve - bone head noob
    Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
    My problem with lifetime supplies of things...
    yup, LOL!

Steve - bone head noob
    Oregon

Clayton goes up to 1.20 mm... I know not much more.

Available in 8 gauges - .38mm, .45mm, .56mm, .72mm, .80mm, .94mm, 1.07mm, and 1.20mm
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Mandolin addicted...So? Pete Counter's Avatar

Steve - bone head noob
    Oregon
    I use the 1.20 for guitar

Unregistered User...?
    Blog Entries

I've played with a triangular clayton ultem pick that was thicker than 1.14, but I don't own any myself, and I don't know where the guy who had it bought it. Maybe they just aren't made any more in those thicker guages.
    Eastman Custom 515
    Washburn D20