Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite summer festival to attend?

A Baker Family Tradition Bluegrassrules's Avatar

Default What is your favorite summer festival to attend?

It’s getting warm out and that means the summer festival season. I am getting ready for Bean Blossom (being from the great state of Indiana) so my question is, “What is your summer festival?” If you can only go to one or had to choose which would it be?
    Cheers and happy jamming.
    "The definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing over and over and then expecting different results" (so buy a better mando) Sir Winston Churchill
    Gibson F-5 Jam Master #23

Default Re: What is your favorite summer festival to attend?

Oregon Country Fair. Ain't nothing like it, nowhere.

Stay in the AC in summer, go to Winfield in September.
    Mike Snyder

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

Wind Gap in PA has been my staple festival for the past few years, it was Podunk in CT before that. This year I'm going to try to get there out for a few more...
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

2nd weekend of July in Murfreesboro, TN - Uncle Dave Macon Days. Only 2 stages, but the the little jams going on all over the site, a reconstructed pioneer village, are the best aspect of this event. Very low admission fee, helps lower the fees for competitors.

La Roche Bluegrass festival; may not be quite as big or with as big names as american festivals, but it's both free and on this side of the atlantic

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Philly for me. The grand dame of folk festivals, with an astounding range of music genres on stage and in the campground. Even bluegrass, now and then. Went for 19 years in a row. For bluegrass it was Winterhawk (now Grey Fox), for singer/songwriter stuff Falcon Ridge, and for a really nice one-day festival Green River. But if I had to choose just one, for total immersion - Philadelphia Folk Festival.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

While it might not count, I think it should. I never have as much fun at a festival as I have at my one day all afternoon/evening music party in late May.

I have been hosting this outdoor jam party for several going on many years, and it just keeps getting better. It takes on characteristics of the best festivals - especially the part of seeing all your friends and pickin buddies the first day and hanging with them. We are basically genre free, but mostly old time mixed with contra dance tunes, a little bluegrass, a little folk rock (OK what would you call Wagonwheel?) mixed with tasty tidbits anyone can throw in. Its a delightfully un-organized jam that lasts pretty much the whole afternoon evening. Recently two and even three simultaneous jams errupted on the grounds. It was amazing.

Last year we got over 20 musicians and more than 20 civilians. I invite my core group and encourage them to invite others I may not have met and bring family and it somehow works.

I have added various quirks, like egg rolls, bowler hats, cepia toned photographs, and life size cardboard cut outs of Charlie Poole, the East Texas Serenaders, Gid Tanner etc.

Think of it like the the perfect festival, but you stay in the field pickin with friends instead of going to any concert or workshop, and you camp in a professionally run camp ground (with fire pits and picnic tables bathrooms showers RV hookups and cabins with screen doors that slam. Oh, and with egg rolls, lots of egg rolls.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Woodstock was fun.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Blog Entries

It does sound like a good time, Jeff. Reminds me of all the times a friend who lived in the woods would have people over for music and food and beer parties, sitting around a fire pit jamming - lots of Dead, natch. A couple times he expanded this to set up a temporary stage in his field with generator-run PA and lights - a few bands playing and jamming in between - very like a mini-festival. I almost made it to yours last year - I was in the neighborhood at about the right time, but there was stuff going on (my brother's funeral) so ... one of these years!

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Since I only do the one (and a half ...) I'd say it's Catskill Irish Arts Week in East Durham, NY, runs a week in July and it's all classes, lectures, concerts, sessions and good fellowship. the town is a throwback to the 1940s and we stay at various hotels/motels/guest houses/resorts (with a/c); anywhere between 10 and 15 of us (my group, that is; the whole thing is hundreds of people) make it each year and we occasionally hold our own sessions besides joining whatever is going on outside. And on Saturday, a handful of us wander up to Grey Fox and do bluegrass/newgrass day as a palate-clearer.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    Since I only do the one (and a half ...) I'd say it's Catskill Irish Arts Week in East Durham, NY, runs a week in July and it's all classes, lectures, concerts, sessions and good fellowship. the town is a throwback to the 1940s and we stay at various hotels/motels/guest houses/resorts (with a/c); anywhere between 10 and 15 of us (my group, that is; the whole thing is hundreds of people) make it each year and we occasionally hold our own sessions besides joining whatever is going on outside. And on Saturday, a handful of us wander up to Grey Fox and do bluegrass/newgrass day as a palate-clearer.

That sounds like fun.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Starvey Creek in July and September! Not sure which I like better, but I tend to lean towards the fall one.

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

For me it has to be The Darrington Bluegrass Festival in Darrington, WA. This year will be something like my 15th year in row and I also have the good fortune to be performing with one of the orignal area bands, The Combinations. Come on by, cocktail hour starts at 5:00 each night!
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    And on Saturday, a handful of us wander up to Grey Fox and do bluegrass/newgrass day as a palate-clearer.
    There are so many festivals in the Northeast, and within easy enough driving distance, it is indeed possible to do stuff like this. Since Winterhawk and Green River are on the same weekend (third weekend of July) I would do the same thing - go up to Green River for Saturday, maybe even stay for the fireworks, (the balloons are cool, too), and head back for the late night jamming. And gospel Sunday morning, good and hungover - the best way.

You're in Indiana! you have to go to Kendallville. It's a great jamming festival sponsored by the Northern Indiana Bluegrass Association. They have it twice a year, on Memorial Day weekend, and Labor Day weekend.
    Tony Szczygielski

Tony Sz - While reading the other posts, I thought Kendallville, then you beat me to it. Memorial Day weekend is right around the corner. Would like to meet you. I'll be the mandolin player pulling an Oxygen bottle on a cart. If you see me please introduce yourself.
    Thanks,
    Lee

Here's another fun one in the Tri-state area. The North Central Regional Fiddlers' Convention at Hillsdale County Fairgrounds, Hillsdale Michigan. August 10 & 11, 2012. Lot of open mic stage time, some jams, round & square dancing. Lots of fiddle players of all ages and skills. Induction ceremony for the Michigan Fiddlers' Hall of Fame.
    This is NOT a fiddle contest. Workshops available.
    Camping available
    Hope to see you there.
    Lee

Delfest is my happy place.
    the sun's gonna shine in my back door someday

The Mount Airy Fiddler's Convention of course! Always the 1st weekend of June in scenic North Carolina. C'mon down and you can be a part of the 41st this year! Hard to beat for oldtime and bluegrass.
    Member since 2003!

Galax Old Fiddler's convention. The oldest going, as far as I know (this year is the 77th). Always a blast!
    Mitch Russell

Summerfolk in Owen Sound, Ontario - third weekend in August. I think this is about the 36th annual this year. I have only missed one, and I have vowed that it won't happen again. www.summerfolk.org

For mandolin content I saw a very young Chris Thile there, as well as few other fine mandolin players like Emory Lester and Jeff Bird.
    Johneeaaddgg

MandoSkier

Winnipeg Folk Festival in July. The most recent issue of Delta Airlines Sky Magazine lists the Winnipeg Folk Festival as one of the top ten music festivals in the world. The six day outdoor festival in a provincial park attracts music lovers from five U.S. States and three Canadian provinces. Six day-time workshop stages, a children's stage, venues for young performers, evening main stage and more make for a great time. Been attending for over 25 years!
    Weber Beartooth A 2005
    Weber Bridger A 1998

A Baker Family Tradition Bluegrassrules's Avatar

Keep 'em coming fellows, it is interesting to hear about the various fest’s during the summer. I have been wanting to check out Kendallville and think I will this year, thanks Tony and Lee.
    Cheers Brian
    "The definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing over and over and then expecting different results" (so buy a better mando) Sir Winston Churchill
    Gibson F-5 Jam Master #23

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RoyO View Post
    Winnipeg Folk Festival in July ... Been attending for over 25 years!
    Well, then, maybe you saw my old jug band there, back in 1991. We opened the Friday night concert (apparently a rare honor for a first-time act), did some workshops on Saturday, then on Sunday a workshop/concert with The Jug Band (everyone from the Kweskin band except Kweskin). That was the high point for us - we played a set, they played a set, then we did a few songs together. All in all, a great experience, and I have tons of stories about it, some of which I have rattled on about over the years.

There are major folk festivals in all the provinces, I believe. I imagine they all have a lot going for them.
    Last edited by journeybear; May-04-2012 at 9:10pm.