Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I remove a superglued bridge?

Blog Entries

Default How do I remove a superglued bridge?

All right, this is a little bit of a story. But to get to the punch line first: I need to remove a mandolin bridge that was superglued down. How do I remove it?

The story is that mid-way through my Saga build, I decided that I need to know more about the guts of mandolins, as well as finishing & refinishing. The way I learn best is to completely fail. So, not wanting to fail on my Saga, or on my "practice" mandolin or on my "nice mandolin," I figured I'd buy a piece of junk and tear it apart. Imagine my surprise when the nice young guy I bought my guineau pig from--being a guitar player--had superglued the bridge down. It made sense to him, being a guitar player (though why superglue???). And it will certainly provide me a challenge.

But ... any ideas? (By the way, this is not a mandolin where I have to save the finish, but as I said, it's practice, so I want to try. Thanks in advance for educating me.

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Default Re: How do I remove a superglued bridge?

There is a solvent for superglue. I'd try that.
    Bill

Acetone is the main ingredient in superglue remover. If you don't care about the finish, I'd give one or the other a try. If you are lucky it might not harm the finish.

Tape off the top around the bridge and then try gently rocking a capped razor blade in all around the bridge base to break the bond.
    If that doesn't work and it is a flat-top, you could sacrifice the bridge base by planing it entirely away with a block plane.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

If the finish is a "modern" polysomething finish, there is a chance that a solvent will remove the bridge without removing the finish, but if the finish is lacquer, the solvents are pretty much interchangeable and the finish will be gone before the bridge is. Even if it is a polymiracle finish, it may take hours for the solvent to dissolve the superglue between the bridge and the top.
    I'd lay a wooden drift against the bridge base and give it a sharp rap with a mallet. That will either sheer the superglue, pop the finish off of the top, or leave the bridge still there, in which case you didn't hit it hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    ...I'd lay a wooden drift against the bridge base and give it a sharp rap with a mallet. That will either sheer the superglue, pop the finish off of the top, or leave the bridge still there, in which case you didn't hit it hard enough.
    Amen.

Also, try a bigger hammer.

I am not a builder ! but i thought heat would help ?

Quote Originally Posted by rico mando View Post
    I am not a builder ! but i thought heat would help ?
    It sure would, your hands would be warm while you beat on it with a hammer but it would have no effect on the superglue.

Yep, use my old standby. "Don't force it.... use a bigger hammer."

Blog Entries

Thanks, folks. I'll give it a try.

I'll report back. I know you're all going to be interested in how badly I #&($ it up.

I wanted to reuse a fretboard I had TiteBond glued to a mahogany neck. I removed it by clamping a silicon heat pad to the FB and heating it to about 320 degrees. The lacquer finish blistered and things were beginning to smoke a little, but I was able to pry it off using a knife blade. When everything cooled down, I noticed that the MOP dots,which I had CA glued in, had loosened and some had almost fallen out. The heat had liquified the CA glue and then it returned to it's cured state after cooling. After cleaning up the FB back I reheated the whole thing with the heat pad and pressed the dots back to their original finished positions. This showed me that you can liquify cured CA glue with heat (at least 2 times) and it will re-harden to a cured state. Hope this helps.
    Leroy Beal

www.leroybeal.net

Eat it all, use it up, wear it out

Blog Entries

Leroy: It does help. I wondered about using heat. I may try it. The only question I have now is ... what's a "silicon heat pad"? (Hot damn, more things to buy!)

OK, let's get logical. Even iron softens up with enough heat. If you plan on heating it up until the finish blisters and the wood gets scorched, yeah it will soften the CA. Why not speed up the process a little and use a torch? Why waste the money on the blanket? The idea is to minimize the damage. Try giving it a whack first. It might simply pop off with no damage to the finish other than the damage caused by the glue in the first place.

Hide glue and titebond will soften up before the finish melts. Superglue won't.

Blog Entries

Good point, Mike. So what I'm going to do is: (1) try slight taps with a small hammer, then (2) try big taps with a bigger hammer, then (3) try really big bangs with a sledgehammer, and then (4) burn whatever is left. I think that covers everyone's advice. :-)

Seriously, I do appreciate the multiple opinions. I knew this was art, not science, and that to some extent it's taking a lot of information into account and then making an educated guess. And then not making the same mistake the next time. This will all be one of those lessons of experience that we all love so much ... when they happen to someone else.

I only wish we could all watch

This thread is very timely. I just finished setting up an old generic (Supertone?) flat top mandolin for a bandmate. It was missing a nut plus it needed a lot of other things attended to. I discovered that the bridge on this one had been glued to the top. I tried a number of good raps on it but it showed no signed of loosening. I checked the intonation and fortunately it's close enough to leave alone. I did lower the action on the bridge by sanding down and reslotting. I guess I could have planed off the existing bridge and started over had the intonation not been off. I just can't imagine gluing down a floating bridge.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

From MikeE - "I only wish we could all watch". Yes,life's been dull since they abolished public hangings !.
    While to op.says it's not 'necessary' to save the finish,i'd try inserting a scalpel blade under one end of the bridge,to see if i could get some space underneath it to get a bit of solvent in & start the 'rot'. Either that, or to slowly 'chisel' away at the glue with the blade.If all else failed,i'd go for the 'hammer solution',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    ... had superglued the bridge down. It made sense to him, being a guitar player ...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

[QUOTE=MikeEdgerton;1048479]...Try giving it a whack .....

Maybe a few 'Love taps' on either side before letting the whacking commence .

Then take the hammer and wack the guitar player for gluing the bridge on.

Maybe this doesn't need to be said because you already know but....Don't hit the bridge directly with the hammer. Put a block of wood against it and hit the block.

Heat does release super glue but it has to be about 300 degrees, though acetone or nail polish remover would be my first choice.

The finish itself may inhibit the adhesion of the Glue. You could warm it

The finish itself may inhibit the adhesion of the Glue. You could warm it a bit with a hair dryer first, don't know what that will do but may help. Then use the Wackometer and hope for the best.

Sorry about the double post.

I would hold an iron to the top of the bridge for a while .