Thread: What do you think? Regal reverse scroll

Default What do you think? Regal reverse scroll

I was thinking about this one as a project if it remained cheap enough, though it went beyond what i was willing to pay for such a project at this point in time.

Knowing that it needs some work etc, did somebody get a bargain? Is it an expensive wall hanger? I would think to have someone perform the required work would be more than the instrument is worth, so perhaps a project for someone.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

Default Re: What do you think? Regal reverse scroll

These come up now and then on eBay, sometimes with different brand names attatched to them... Mine is labled "LYRA". I purchased one a few years ago in roughly similar condition... If I recall I paid about $30 plus shipping. They are not particularly well built instruments, in my opinion, but they are so odd looking that i just had to have one for my own collection.. They were made with cheap components but are unlike any others. I really doubt that you would get much tone out of them. Mine is, at best, acceptable tone-wise. But what a great conversation piece.
    Bart McNeil

Looking at mine again in comparison. The mando in question is in overall better condition than mine was when I purchased it. So I think I would put its value at around $60-$80. In my opinion the buyer didn't get a bargain... but then again there is the "cool" factor which is priceless. If you keep watching I suspect you can get one more reasonable in price. The one in question is about the sixth one I have stumbled across on eBay and I have not really been looking for them. So keep looking.
    Bart McNeil

They are quite common over here in the US but i would think much less so down under. I do love the wacky design and the few that I have seen in playing condition are not too bad considering what they are and what they are made of. I think Regal sold them as wholesale lots and to other companies to resell with their own labels. My favorite name was the one Lyon & Healy used: Guydyu... not sur of the meaning but I suppose it would equal Guide-You.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Milne View Post
    I was thinking about this one as a project if it remained cheap enough, though it went beyond what i was willing to pay for such a project at this point in time.

Knowing that it needs some work etc, did somebody get a bargain? Is it an expensive wall hanger? I would think to have someone perform the required work would be more than the instrument is worth, so perhaps a project for someone.
    I would say, judging by the condition in the photos, that particular instrument was in excellent condition for it's age. It probably needed some work, but these old reverse scroll Regals have a certain charm to them, and a sweet, mellow tone (albeit without much volume -- at least the two I've owned did). I don't think that buyer paid too much -- though these things come up on Ebay fairly regularly, they are rarely in this condition with such a nice original finish, and usually sell for around a 100 bucks or so, in my experience.

I currently have one I bought for $106 on Ebay and, after some fretboard work, it has become my favorite instrument -- but I have to admit, that is probably because it reminds me of my youth -- I had another back 35 years ago that I later sold and came to regret selling.

Of course, they are not useful for professional performances, being too quiet, but for solo work (or accompanied by a guitar and such in small groups), they are fine. They also have a 13 inch scale, which may or may not be an advantage to you. Personally, I like the short scale -- my old arthritic fingers sometimes have trouble making the stretches often called for on a 14 inch scale, although I'm sure most folks find the difference to be pretty minor.

They were constructed of solid birch and very heavily braced, which I think accounts for the quiet volume as well as their durability over the years. I play mine daily and love it, though I have 3 other mandolins. If they appeal to you and you are prepared to do a bit of work on it, they are a unique mandolin and look, play and sound pretty good, IMO.

Not long ago a thread came up about Regal and it turned out that the scroll design of that mandolin is referred to as a "Reverse Kruddick" in Regalese-- maybe I have it wrong but I think that is close---so maybe all scrolls are "Kruddicks" and that one is in reverse,----gee, I hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by barney 59 View Post
    Not long ago a thread came up about Regal and it turned out that the scroll design of that mandolin is referred to as a "Reverse Kruddick" in Regalese-- maybe I have it wrong but I think that is close---so maybe all scrolls are "Kruddicks" and that one is in reverse,----gee, I hope so!
    I think they mean "Kordick" after Frank Kordick (of the Regal Company) who held the original 1914 patent for this design. If the OP is still interested in purchasing one of these there is currently (May 2) several of them listed on Ebay under "vintage mandolins," including this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200753430731...ht_14041wt_940

And also this one:http://www.ebay.com/itm/200753430731...ht_14041wt_940

Both appear to be in excellent shape -- the second listing includes sound examples.

Another reverse scroll Regal delux model in remarkable original condition:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Antique...item19cf18108e
    Bart McNeil

Bart: that one does look nice but at $600 priced a bit high. Someone made the seller an offer -- we will see where that goes. I do like the clown barf pickguard and the MOTS.

Pete: I think you posted the same ebay auction twice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reversescroll_sm.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	85909  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

So I did. I meant to post this one also: http://www.ebay.com/itm/350560538750...#ht_4901wt_798

Yes $600 is a bit high but if in new condition it would compare with a Big Muddy I believe at around $600 new... But where else could you get that kind of MOJO for $600?

I can't think of any mandolin, at any price, with that pizzaz!.... OK,,,, maybe the Harmony batwing....
    Bart McNeil

I always liked the oddness of this design... this one and the Kaykrafts. If I ever attempt to build I would try to make a reverse scroll flattop.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

That would be a Reverse Kordick?